Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2010 / Beau & Jules  (Read 94071 times)

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
West Winnipeg - 2010 / August
« Reply #866 on: August 14, 2010, 07:52 »
Was in the area this morning.  Stopped to see what was going on.  One bird was leaving as I got there and one was sitting on the corner with his/her back to me.  Looked to be a fair size.  No one else showed up, he/she did not leave.  I sat there for a little while and then left.
Very fresh morning out there.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #865 on: August 13, 2010, 15:15 »
Ran by a couple of hours ago and there was an adult sitting on the "letters". No one flying around the area that I could see.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #864 on: August 13, 2010, 09:15 »
What do you think out peregrines will make of the meteor showers?  Notice, but no perceived threat?  Watch like a drive in movie/ or at least thunderstorms(Hurricane and others)?

Meteor shower - don't think they will even notice, just not big enough/close enough to catch their interest.  The Radisson birds tend not to pay any attention to the firework displays downtown thought the 2007 Radisson crew seemed to enjoy lightning storms (we had a lot that year)  - so lightning entirely possible, meteors unlikely.

If your camera is still working at the site and they happen to be in the nest, please let us know.  I'm assuming it still keeps recording??  Perhaps they are already used to them!

Camera is still recording but we have only had a couple of visits on camera over the last week so I'm probably going to get the recording part turned off shortly.  I'll still be able to watch for a bit longer, but we will have to removed the equipment in the next little while so the the building management company can finally get window-cleaners on the building and do some other annual roof maintenance that they have been putting off until the birds left.  They haven't quite left the building yet, folks are still getting dive-bombed on the roof, but that shouldn't be an issue by about the end of the month, or not much of an issue.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #863 on: August 13, 2010, 09:05 »
Note from WWW for/from the 12th ...

Sadly, I have not been privy to many goings on at West Winnipeg so far this week.  I have spotted one or two birds several times, but each time they have been sitting and napping or enjoying the views.  I am normally at the site more during daytime when it is hotter, so it appears the (smart) birdies are a little less active.  Will continue to keep an eye on them and let you know about any goings on.  For today - just basically checking it.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #862 on: August 12, 2010, 22:38 »
Very happy that this family is thriving!  It's also great to know that the kids are exploring the territory!   ;D

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #861 on: August 12, 2010, 17:29 »
What do you think out peregrines will make of the meteor showers?  Notice, but no perceived threat?  Watch like a drive in movie/ or at least thunderstorms(Hurricane and others)?
If your camera is still working at the site and they happen to be in the nest, please let us know.  I'm assuming it still keeps recording??
Perhaps they are already used to them!

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #860 on: August 12, 2010, 12:01 »
0800 hrs (local) - went by the Diner this morning and there were two of the West Winnipeg kids sitting on two sides of the building - not in their parents favourite corners, but mid-way along each wall.  Nice to see them exploring a bit further from the nest site!
Great news, thanks TPC. ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #859 on: August 12, 2010, 08:45 »
0800 hrs (local) - went by the Diner this morning and there were two of the West Winnipeg kids sitting on two sides of the building - not in their parents favourite corners, but mid-way along each wall.  Nice to see them exploring a bit further from the nest site!

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #858 on: August 10, 2010, 10:23 »
Might not have been the guy, there's a pair of Swainson Hawks not very far away and I've seen them get very mad about their presence in the area. :-\

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #857 on: August 10, 2010, 09:58 »
The humans jsut do not learn ,do they.
glad all is well her :-*e

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #856 on: August 09, 2010, 19:56 »
WWW's Saturday the 7th observations ...

Wow, I'm not sure exactly what happened at West Winnipeg around 4pm this afternoon, but something sure got the bird's attention. 

I was walking nearby when suddenly I heard squawking like I've never heard them before!  Something had two of the birds quite upset - maybe the man bccs saw on the roof was there again?  The two birds were dive bombing a zillion miles per hour then looping around agressively, yakking all the way.  It only lasted about a minute or so, then suddenly they were both gone and all was quiet.

I'll tell 'ya, if I was the guy on the roof and those two birds reacted the way that I got to see today, I'm pretty sure I would have wet my pants..........or worse.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #855 on: August 09, 2010, 19:55 »
Friday the 6th observations from the West Wpg Watcher ...

Friday evening there was a bit more action at West Winnipeg.  For about a half hour there were a few flying around the nest but they were way to high for me to determine if they were the parents or the kids.  At one point though it did look almost as if it may have been two of the kids playing air-tag.   I was also not able to determine the other flyers based on the flight movements - the kids are now quite strong flyers.  Yup, not as strong as the parents - but  quite good.

Also spotted one on the roof ledge, one lower on the building on a smaller ledge.  It is nice to see that they are still coming back to the nest building at night.  This "family" seems to be a little more tight knit than the Raddison nest.  They appear to put up with and maybe even enjoy each other's company fairly well.

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
« Reply #854 on: August 08, 2010, 23:10 »
For those that know and if you go...contact bccs early so she can place an order from Tim's for coffee & Breakfast Sandwich...I always seem to miss out on that  :( >:( ???
LOL... :'(
Two things wrong with that statement

1 - You aways show up after the order is taken, or say no..
2 - When has it EVER been Barb that goes to Tim's on the way ? ? ? ? ?

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #853 on: August 08, 2010, 16:38 »
Just got back fromt the West Winnipeg site.  I finally got to see the birds playing and touching each others talons.  Also saw Nero try to land on top of Beau.  Good thing he comes in screeching, it gives Dad a chance to bolt quickly.  Think we saw all of them flying around.  I don't think I could ever get tired of seeing them flying around.  When I left one was sitting on one of the corners out of site from where we were sitting.  Not sure where the others were.  I guess off hunting, playing or sleeping on the roof.
Enjoyable morning as usual.

Sounds like a good day.  I'm glad all have been accounted for.  Nero sure seems like a real character.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #852 on: August 08, 2010, 15:28 »
Talon touching and papa pouncing sound like fine games to view. 
How nice you were there at the right time, Moonstar.