Author Topic: DE / Wilmington - 2009-15  (Read 21231 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Delaware - Wilmington - 2010 / CJ & Red Girl
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 14:27 »
Bird, female I'm assuming, jumped off the eggs at 1416 hrs (Wpg time), so ten minutes ago and no one has been back yet ...

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 13:00 »
Thank you, Carly.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 12:18 »
Here is a link to BCAW Thread where some of the people arranging help for the female (Red) are currently posting:

http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=566

A biologist was up this morning and they left her a pigeon on the ledge to see if she'd take it and she did.  They are thinking of putting one foster chick in the nest if the eggs don't hatch to bind her to the nest site.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 12:13 »
I cannot find any information on what is happening here at this site; either that, or I don't know where to look.  The female falcon continues to incubate her eggs without any sign of her mate.  If anyone knows where we can look for the latest info on this situation, could they please post it here.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 13:47 »
Does anyone have any updates on this site?

Meanwhile, incubation continues:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 17:07 »
I'm just hoping for the best here, Carly. I hope the little tiercel will still turn up, and if he doesn't, I think there is a reasonable chance that, with help, the female will be able to raise her chicks.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 17:00 »
I know Alison, he was such a sweet little tiercel.  I can't imagine what happened, must have been an accident or something or he's hurt or trapped somewhere.  he was so diligent and so good to Red and he really put up a good fight in that battle to keep his site, lost his regular mate..it justs seems so tragic to have so much happen in such a short time.  And last year all their eggs went missing I believe..so to have it end this way is just so sad..honestly really puts our own lives in perspective.  These guys struggle for survival every day.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 16:50 »
It is very tragic if the male at this nest has been lost. If enough supplementary food is provided, it is possible that the female might be able to manage on her own, but it is rare.

I can only think of one instance where this was successful. One year at the New Jersey nest, the male was injured very close to hatch time. The female did manage to raise the chicks on her own, with food provided for her every day. She also did some hunting on her own.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 16:36 »
People in the know there are currently working on a plan of action to get Red Girl help.  It's in good hands from the sounds of it. I'll keep you posted or go to the BCAW board as the people helping post there.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 14:37 »
Please excuse all my errors in last post. went in to correct them but could not.
I have been all over today so fingers are sore ::) ::)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 13:49 »
I have been monitoring this for a few days, wince they suspected male was missing.

there is no way she can care for chicks and feed herself.  If you remeber ,Elaine, Miss Edmonton ,last year.

the male went missing and I sat there  for 3 days monitoring. there seemed to be a stash that she went to quickly  for first day and a half and then she went out calling and looking and then had to leave eggs longer and longer. that is when I let Gord know and he went and collected eggs and put in dummies, just in case, she attracted a male early enough. One of those days hatched n an incubator.

Now i ma not sure if they would do that here, in Willington.If they provided food for her right at the site she may be able to do it.

People were remembering when snowball went missing and Mercury raised the brood to fledging. but the chicks had hatched and the site supplemented him with food for awhile. there again Mercury, was a very experienced male.

I am just sick about this. I knwo this is nature, but....

I am getting very discouraged this year

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 13:42 »
Thanks for the info, Carly.  I sure hope that this all works out well. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 13:34 »
Oh, gosh, and there are four eggs here for this first-time mom, all close to hatch date.  It would be awful to lose them.  If the male has been killed, is there any chance that she can take care of the chicks alone, assuming they hatch?  And is there any chance that another male may be around, and could help out with feeding duties?

It would be tough even for an experienced female to do that on her own.  Not sure if there any other males around, there was one she came with.  She actually took over this nest in a territorial battle and she had a young male with her.  She won the nest from the existing female but her little male buddy lost the battle to the resident male.  he didn't die though, in fact he hung out with them for a day afterwards and then presumable left the area. 

I only heard about this today and have only been watching today so am still hoping the male shows up and we have all just missed him or he's out getting food and storing it up for babies!  She's laying on her eggs now and picking at pebbles.  This morning she seemed a bit disconcerted but now she's obsessed with the pebbles  ???  The earliest the eggs could hatch I read is today but no sign of a pip yet.  Still hoping for happy ending but we'll have to wait and see.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 12:56 »
Oh, gosh, and there are four eggs here for this first-time mom, all close to hatch date.  It would be awful to lose them.  If the male has been killed, is there any chance that she can take care of the chicks alone, assuming they hatch?  And is there any chance that another male may be around, and could help out with feeding duties?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 12:50 »
Nothing official yet Elaine.  Watching from work and she's been on and off several times already.  A watcher who works across the nest in a building confirms no sign of male at all and she's been seen trying to catch herself some food.

She's only 2 years old herself and this is her first nest.