Author Topic: Bald Eagle - West Virginia / USFWS  (Read 4383 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Bald Eagle - West Virginia / USFWS (2012)
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 19:38 »
I've merged these two threads as they are the same nest and its nice to be able to go back and see the history here ...

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 14:26 »
If you would like, you can go to BCAW where they follow the goings on of the Richmond, Virginia eagles.

LINK - http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=269&t=1196&start=140

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 13:53 »
Haven't seen this webcam before, Pam. Thanks! :)

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 13:51 »
Has anyone followed this nest:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/local/richmond-eagle-cam/

There are two eaglets, the larger of which has been incredibly aggressive (read nasty) towards his/her sibling.  They are just past 2 weeks old now.  There were some serious concerns about the younger one's survival, but they now feel he/she will survive.  Parents were having trouble catching fish in the nearby river due to flooding, although that seems to have resolved as well.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Bald Eagle - West Virginia / USFWS (2010)
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 17:14 »
I am so happy that this pair has an eaglet, hatched on March 21! They have been through so much.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 11:03 »
Well well well.....exciting news for this pair!!  The fourth egg hatched!!!  We have one little eaglet at this nest which is wonderful news! 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 12:51 »
Winter Update #5 - February 25, 2010

We are now in the long waiting period to the hatch. The adult eagles incubate the eggs for about 35 days or so.  The eagles are diligently taking care of their two eggs, and fortunately the weather has been relatively fair.  

The eagles are keeping the eggs warm with their brood patch, a featherless section of skin filled with blood vessels.  The little "dance" they do when going back on the eggs ensures that they brood patch is in contact with the eggs.

Watch for the rolling of the eggs throughout the day, about once an hour.  This is done with their talons rolled up to protect the egg, and the rolling action ensures that the embryo does not stick to the eggshell.    

We still feel that one egg is likely viable and the other probably is not, but they may surprise us.

Also keep an eye out for live fish being brought in from the Potomac River, which is a few hundred yards down the hill from the nest tree.  The fishing on this stretch of river is excellent, and some of the fish brought in are big ones.  Big or small, the fish don't last long.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 08:58 »
Actually JL, the female usually does incubate the night shift....but they do switch off occasionally.  They are fantastic to watch.

Offline JL

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 02:21 »
I just witnessed an exchange between the parents at 3 am (nest time).  Mom called out, though not very loud and Dad came in to incubate.  He was definitely very close by.  I didn't think they took turns throughout the night; I thought the Mom usually took the whole night shift.  As I'm typing this, Mom's still out and about.   ::)  I guess I learned something new today.  ;D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 20:08 »
Winter Update #4 - February 19, 2010

We have had several days of fair, but chilly weather here in Shepherdstown. Our eagles are tending to two eggs, including a fourth egg that was laid last Sunday, February 14th. Whether or not both are viable is subject to discussion, but we believe that at least one is, hopefully both. Weather is expected to warm up through the weekend, with a chance of snow/sleet/rain on Monday. This will be the bird's next challenge.

Keep watching.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 12:10 »
The thing about this is that the 3rd egg of that clutch may be viable.  We watched faithfully and they were attentive to the egg but not on it all the time. Now as that goes, they do not  have to be in full incubation until last egg and the sun was shining and the egg was way down in the bowl . A few of us remember Maine in 2007 when the female left the net for such a long time and 2 of those eggs hatched.And then an unfortunate snowstorm.

so I maintain never say never.  

slideshow 1  /   slideshow 2  /   slideshow 3  /   slideshow 4  /   slideshow 5
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:15 by bev. »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 12:06 »
I have been following this nest through the whole scenario and  I do not believe this was a second clutch. The egg came too soon after for ti to be a second clutch. Various bilogists have given their vies and some say new clutch but most say it could be the 4th in the first clutch. some eagles have had 4 eggs in one clutch.

but as long as one hatches, I will be happy and would we not just **** if 2 hatched.
I have kept optimistic here and they have such a nice nest bowl now.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 09:11 »
News Update on this nest:

We hear the female adult at the NCTC Eagle Cam in West Virginia laid a fourth egg. Is this the fourth egg of the first clutch or the first egg of the second clutch? The good news is the nest cup has lost its snow, so there might be hope for the viability of the last egg. We’ll keep our fingers crossed for this determined pair...

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 13:07 »
Its not too late folks, our eagles haven't even managed to get back here yet!!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 07:53 »
Very sad news.   :'(

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 22:32 »
Very very unfortunate....they just had so much bad luck with those two storms!  It was a record snowfall and the eagles just couldn't manage.

Thanks for that update Alison, I was on the site today but didn't see the update.

Let's all hope for a second clutch.....

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 19:51 »
An update on the eggs today; doesn't sound promising.  :'(

Winter Update #3 - February 12, 2010

The winter weather has been a major hindrance for the successful nesting of our eagle pair this year. With snow amounts approaching or exceeding 40 inches in the last week, this has served to overwhelm our birds and quite likely result in the first three eggs being non-viable.

Here's a history of the eggs laid thus far:
  2/2 10:15pm--First egg laid  /  2/6 2:12pm--Second egg laid  /  2/9 6:00pm--Third egg laid.

Within hours of the second egg being laid, it became apparent that by their behavior that the eagles had lost their eggs in the deep snow that filled the nest.  A third egg was laid during the second storm on Feb. 9th, but the eagles have not been attentive to keeping the egg warm, and it seems likely that this clutch is no longer viable.  Time will tell if the eagles will lay more eggs. The odds are typically 50/50 for a second clutch. With this problem happening early this year, we are hoping that there will be additional eggs produced.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 19:03 »
I'm not sure what the situation is with these eggs, but the eagles have been spending more time incubating today.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 20:48 »
There has been some stories about this nest... Friends of Blackwater site posted,

As some of you may have heard, it looks like the NCTC Eagle Cam in West Virginia (at the National Conservation Training Center) is going to lose all their eggs. We hear the pair laid a second egg during the last snow storm and then laid a third egg during this storm, but they’ve been on and off the egg(s), so it doesn’t look good. As bad as our storms have been — and we have officially set a record in the Washington, DC area for the most snow recorded in a single season — the West Virginia folks have gotten it even worse, so we express our sympathy for the WV fans, as they’ve had rotten luck this year.

Some cam watchers have asked if more eggs could be laid — like after the snow melts a bit. It’s possible for a couple to lay a second clutch if their first clutch was lost early in the season, but we have to keep in mind that laying eggs is a drain on the female’s body, and she can only lay so many in a season. So after three eggs, there might not be more than one or two that the female could lay — at the most. But it is possible.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 20:17 »
This webcam is actually the cam for the West Virginia eagles. It does seem that this pair may have lost their eggs. They laid three eggs, but apparently have been spending time off the eggs. Today they have been incubating off and on. They have had so much snow to deal with.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Bald Eagle - West Virginia / USFWS
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 21:29 »
I have been watching some eagle cams...some of them are not doing well.  Mother Nature has decided to be nasty and dump "A LOT" of snow.  Think happy thoughts for these early egg laying raptors....  here are some links:

http://www.outdoorchannel.com/Conservation/EagleCam.aspx

The above site may have lots their eggs again.....there was a massive snow storm here a week ago that dumped over a foot of snow, they had laid one egg, then the storm came, the female laid another egg in the snow.... and now they have had to endure yet another massive snow storm.  There have been reports that the female laid another egg before this second storm hit.  I do not know if they had time to rebuild their egg cup.  Truly sad!

From TPC:  moved to a new thread - thanks Allikat!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:15 by The Peregrine Chick »