Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson  (Read 63901 times)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson
« Reply #618 on: October 08, 2010, 07:13 »
Hey Bev, Great to see that your PF family is doing well. Thank you for all of your reports, stories and pictures. You obviously work very hard to share all of this with us. Thank you.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #617 on: October 06, 2010, 00:25 »
I am hoping the ravens have found some new nesting spots. I know where they nested this year and maybe I can persuade them to go there again.

Radisson is indeed a beauty.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #616 on: October 05, 2010, 19:08 »
Nice that you are back, Bev, to see Radisson before she goes. 
Thanks for sharing the pictures.   

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #615 on: October 05, 2010, 17:05 »
Thank you for the update and the photos of our Radisson, I miss seeing her on cam.  Everytime I've looked I've not caught her for weeks now.

She's a beautiful girl and I am counting on seeing her again next spring...without crows in tow  :P

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #614 on: October 05, 2010, 15:50 »
Thanks for the updates and pictures, Bev. It is indeed a bittersweet time, so hard to say goodbye not knowing what will happen to them over the winter.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #613 on: October 05, 2010, 13:19 »
clinical science.

As of Oct 4 we have only seen RAdisson. I had a report from Becky and she said the adult male was there for sure on Sept 29 and she has only seen Radisson since Oct 1. That sounds right on.  Similar to other years, but with a different male ,you never know.

Radison was on aerial of Windsor building when we arrived . She then went to ledge facing north, as if to turn in. Then I did not see her and when I turned around , she was on an aerial on south east corner of Clinical science. As Peter said. she does this at the end. she goes to all the places she has roosted. Like planting a memory in her head.

then she flew off strong and turned in for the night. I tried to get her flying but she was so quick, but strong. right over us, she flew. A lump was in my throat, and a few tears in my eyes.
We will keep coming till she is gone.
So so quiet now

These are all Radisson. She looks so grand, sitting on top. sorry about quality of picutres. It was getting dark

Radisson on clinical science

Radisson ,first time she went to ledge

RAdisson on aerial on Windsor

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 15:33 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #612 on: September 18, 2010, 14:58 »
Great photos Bev!  Have a wonderful holiday!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #611 on: September 18, 2010, 13:28 »
Ditto, thank you from me too.  I love Radisson, she is one of my favorite girls and I hope she and Miss E and the kids have a safe migration.

Have a great holiday Bev!  If you're going south, maybe you could give the falcons a 'lift'  :P

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #610 on: September 17, 2010, 19:22 »
Thank you for the update, Bev. 
Sounds like you are finding it tough to think of leaving, despite knowing it would be tough to stay at this end of season time.  I'm hoping you are going someplace nice for a carefree and enjoyable holiday.     

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #609 on: September 17, 2010, 15:48 »
I enjoy reading your posts and viewing your photos, bev. :D I hope that you have a great vacation!  :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #608 on: September 16, 2010, 23:45 »
Adult males turn to eat

radisson on left, male on right

juvenile

juvenile

juvenile

juvenile flies off ,notice crop

juvenile

adult

adult

adult [/b]

adult

adult

juvenile flies toward windsor

juvenile

top ledge

3 down

top ledge

3 down

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #607 on: September 16, 2010, 23:44 »
Sept 14 clinical science building.

This is my last visit here till after my get away. Once again , I did shed a few tears that night. so many highs and lows and I am used to being here to say good bye to them all. the kids and the adult male will be gone when I get back but Radisson should still be here unless she gets scared off  by the predicited snow  for the weekend

When we arrived at 5:30pm one falcon was on the crane out beyond clinical science. We know now it was Radisson.
We walked around and when we came back we heard cacking. I looked up and there was a youngster and the male adult on a ledge on college Plaza. We never were quite sure who it was. Peter felt it was Blue. I am not sure. I tried  to look at size difference, but with it being such a dismal day , lighting was poor. and the youngster would not let us look at its leg.  ;) ;)

Dad had some prey and was not sharing with  the kid. Maybe the kid had eaten earlier. The youngster continued to cack but did not rush  dad for food. This tells me ,it had eaten. Dad continued to defeather and have some bites.

Then dad flew off ledge and landed on north side of Extension building. Youngster never bothered to follow. RAdisson then flew in from crane to Extension building and  she proceeded to eat while adult male watched. When she was done it was adult males turn.  All this time youngster cacks off and on.

The  adult male flies off over heart building and perches on east side of Medical science building.

The youngster flies off and goes over heart and flies over by the adult male  and they fly around. We see he or she has a good crop.
Radisson stays put and she eventually flies off and we think she turned in on ledge of Windsor.

When we leave at dark, there is one falcon on top north ledge of Windsor and one falocn 3 down . we think the one 3 down was a kid.

We saw 3 that night  and so I bid my farewells.

When I come back I will go and see if Radisson is there.

I will also go back and post pictures that have not been seen yet. there are some good ones.
and then I will do a summary of year.

I find this time of year empty.

Here are some shots from tonights report
Radisson on crane

adult male on left and  youngster on right

RAdisson flying over from crane

RAdisson on left of extension building and male on right

Radisson eating

Radisson on left and is done, male is eating now

RAdisson

Radisson

more pictures on next reply

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #606 on: September 16, 2010, 23:42 »
clincial science Sept 13
7 pm
When we got there, one falcon was on crane on south of campus.
but when we were driving to Weber we saw one youngster on back of Ed building.
Then a falcon, flies from West by crane, to East ,past Newton apartments. so now we have 2

Now one on crane disappears and there is one on aerial of Windsor apartments. . I t flies around and then goes back to aerial. Then it flies off south. Peter said it was as if it was saying good-bye.  :'(

Then we see one fly in over Windsor and perch on ledge of Windsor  facing East(could this be one that flew off???)

We drive around as it is very cold and dark.

We see a juvenille on crane by Jubilee auditorium. Can see better with binoculars that camera.

Adult male (by size) flies in and starts calling . Not chupping so we know there is an intruder somewhere, by the sound.  It dive bombs the end of the crane where a screened box is. Peter walks over that way ,while I watch the youngster. The adult continues , making noise and flying around and dive bombing.
Peter sees a Raven in the box, at end of crane.  :o that  explains everything. It must  have been bothering the kid.

adult male then lands on crane to left of youngster.
After a bit they both  fly south west behind cranes. Adult comes back and lands on crane. Raven eventually leaves. and then adult flies off.

I must  say ,we never have dull moments.  :) :)

falcon flying from crane area to Newton area

can barely see falcon on far right of crane at end

falcon that turned in on ledge at Windsor apartments

youngster on crane by Jubillee

adult male flying in calling

adult male going to dive bomb by end of crane

raven in screened  box area of crane

adult male to left ,circled, juvenile to right

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #605 on: September 16, 2010, 23:40 »
Clincial scienceCam site

I bet you thought I had forgotten my foremost site. Not a chance. We have been monitoring here as well. Most of action was happening at Weber but I could never forget, Radisson and male adult and Blue and Red.
It has been a rough year here with the loss of Damon and a juvenille and a rescue and release . But these guys have given us a lot of fun and joy.

LAst Tuesday : sept 6
Blue and Red were still around. One got food from one of the adults on education building. I think the male adult delivered the food . the kid ate like there was no tomorrow.
 Mom was on the netting by nest box when we arrived. Dad came in chupping a bit later and flew around and then perched on aerial of Suite Hotel.. A youngster ,who we think was Red, came in also and landed on ledge of Windsor building. this is the youngster that we eventually saw eating on education building.

We walked around the area and found a youngster on back of education building extension. I believe it was the one that had eaten. We think Red.
When it flew off  it caked and  another youngster (we think Blue)flew on cacking. Probably looking for left overs. (an adult flew on also)
When I looked around I saw it(blue) on an aerial cacking up a storm. It then flew south.
We kept walking and found one youngster on south side of Clincial science cacking like crazy. there was an adult up on west ,top ledge of college Plaza . We think this was Blue cacking. It was non stop. Brought tears to my eyes, After what seemed an eternity, the adult flew off around suite hotel with kid after it cacking. the youngster flew around back of Newton still cacking and then the  cacking stopped. There was no sign of anyone so we were hoping  the kid was on roof eating somewhere.
When we left there was one adult on aerial of college Plaza and then it turned in for night. Do not know where others were.

pictures coming

edit to add slideshow part 1

slideshow part 2 :we were never quite sure that night which kid was which because of lighting, but we know we saw 2

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #604 on: September 02, 2010, 13:57 »
Thanks for all the updates, Bev. And if you get to the pictures in the middle of winter, think what a treat that will be!

I do hope the two of you have a good holiday. Certainly you both deserve it after all your work this summer!