Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson  (Read 65750 times)

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson
« Reply #573 on: July 29, 2010, 10:44 »
Thanks Bev, have a good time at the reunion.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #572 on: July 29, 2010, 09:59 »
I do not think I will have time for a good report and picutres til next Tuesday. In the midst of all of this I have a family reunion to prepare for in Sask and we leave bright and early tomorrow morning.
but I promise lots of pictures and a good report when I come back.

But our fledge has officially  ended but we do have quite a few who enjoy , like we do, going out now and watching the kids learn to hunt .

REd male and Blue female are doing so well. We know that Red can take food from moms talons but we are not sure about blue yet. But she has only been flying 9 days, today.

They are amazing to watch. yesterday blue was harassing mom for food. She flew right up to her ledge several times. Eventually ,Blue went where there was a small snack and ate. she is gorgeous.

Even in the wind yesterday, they were sticking all the high aerials.

Just wish I could educate some of the public better. But I guess there will always be those who just do not care.( guess it is not important to them to keep nature at its best).  

We have had mom and dad usher out a few intruders of different species.

I wil leave it hee for now and will do a better write up next week and aklso keep y9u appraised as they venture furthere out.

I will also write a report for Weber next week with picutres of the banding I was at there , with my Miss Edmonton.

Enjoy  your long weekend everyone. :-*
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 20:09 by bev. »

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #571 on: July 28, 2010, 19:10 »
Great photos Bev.  Sounds like you're having a wonderful time with this family - exhausting, but wonderful!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #570 on: July 27, 2010, 05:02 »
Beautiful photos Bev, glad the family is doing well.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #569 on: July 26, 2010, 22:24 »
Fantastic reports Bev!!! 

Sounds like these falcons are having a grand time flying around, even though they are giving you heart-attacks!

All this "play time" in the sky is giving them wing strength and flying skills!

Sounds like there will be a lot more exciting action ahead! 

Get some comfy running shoes Bev and Peter (aka Mr. Bev), these birds are gonna take you for a ride!   :D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #568 on: July 26, 2010, 22:14 »
Thanks, Bev.
The picture with the shadow of the chick is absolutely beautiful.
It is a perfect silhouette.
Have a well deserved good rest tonight.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #567 on: July 26, 2010, 21:25 »
...I was there from 6AM TO 5PM Today.
Man, oh man. what a day.  ::) ::)
WOW! What a long day for you, bev.  :o You must be exhausted! But thanks for all of your reports and for your photos! :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #566 on: July 26, 2010, 21:18 »
pictures form July17, Day before Red band fledged.
 If you look at tail of Red and then of adult ,you can see cream still on bottom. Good way to tell them apart when they are sitting with back to you.

Red band hopping back on ledge , from pillar below

Red band on ledge below nest box(note tail)

Adult male
His breast is more cream than moms. Just like Damons was

ADult

Blue and Yellow(Shadows often helped us see where one was from the ground)

red

Blue on cam and Yellow behind

Blue with wings out

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #565 on: July 26, 2010, 21:16 »
Lots of excitement! Thanks for the great report,bev  :-*

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #564 on: July 26, 2010, 20:46 »
July26

I was there from 6AM TO 5PM Today.

Man, oh man. what a day.  ::) ::)

Red is just  a going concern. He was out with mom by Newton apartment. Just like a pro he flew straight up the building and down, rooting out the pigeons. That is what they do , in order to fly after them and catch them. But he loves to chase gulls, better
No one will ever convince me that these are not Damons chicks.  :-*: :-*  I am sure they are. Red has the taste for gulls ,just like his dad. He nearly got one today. He just went  after and after  it. You heard it make a shriek and then fly  off.

Red and Blue really did a lot of flying, Once again my heart was thumping.  :wow:    I think Red who has  just been flying 8 days today, is not leaving any stone unturned.

But  at one point today, after all his flying, he could not get height and when I  found him, he was lying lower than I  had ever seen him. Red flew done to join him. I kept my eye on him, and  I guess he was jsut exhausted and after he  rested , up he flew and made it to top ledge of Campus Tower.

Then when he was flying way up above Campus tower he was dive bombed by a coopers hawk. Mom was on the other  side of building in a ledge ,so  I do not know  if she was aware. But Red gave as good as he got. the kept going at each other and then Red finally ran it off.

O f course, I can be vocal.  :cheer I thought no on was up on roof, and I am talking a bit loud, Mom ,go help your son. I turned around and there is a couple going to their car.   ;D ;D

Well I am not far from  the hospital  :)

A Coopers  hawk has been coming in quite a bit. Must have a nest near by.

Now if this was not enough for my heart, Blue and  Red started playing tag around and  in and out of the buildings.

A storm started to come in and lots of wind gusts. Red landed on a to ledge with difficulty but Blue could not and ended up on Heart building.But  she really wanted to be with Red so she took off again and was blown all over. She finally ,with much difficulty ,landed on clinical science.  ( Peter phoned me to tell me, that it was Blue on ledge and Red on clinical. A switch - a- roo took place that I did not see. ) Heart must have stopped for a bit  ;) ;)

these guys are really flying circles. I was alone for  5 hours today, and so you really can get turned around.
Peter and the rest of the nihgt crew are still down there so I will wait till he gets home and update in the morning.

If I have time I will post photos from July18, 19. and 20. We will try and download videos for next week.
Daughter still has camera so we are missing great shots, but kids come first( or do they  ;D ;D )
Have a great evening. I will hit the hay soon  :)

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #563 on: July 26, 2010, 09:49 »
great pictures .. thanks.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #562 on: July 26, 2010, 09:43 »
Great pictures Bev. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #561 on: July 26, 2010, 09:27 »
Great slide show, bev! I love the photo of mom with food in her talons and "Red" attempting to get it from her. :D

...Someone asked me how I roped Peter into this. He started off jsut watching occasionally but he got hooked. He is not a cam man, but he does love watching them one on one.
That's just like my husband, bev. He really enjoyed watching peregrines with me in Brandon and in Calgary, on our trip west.  :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #560 on: July 26, 2010, 04:54 »
Great report and slide show Bev  :-* :-*  Very glad you got to see Miss E's chick banded, I'm so happy for her!!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #559 on: July 25, 2010, 23:33 »
slideshow from  July 23