Author Topic: MN / Burnsville-Black Dog - 2009-13  (Read 10005 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
MN / Burnsville-Black Dog - 2009 / Dad & Mandy Rose
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 12:02 »
Keep in mind, that even with those loses, I believe the survival rates for the species have improved (though some nests might do badly more often than not).  And keep in mind, we know when the birds die when they hit a stack, turbine, powerline, building, squirrel, but that is only a few relatively speaking to the number that die anonymously so to speak in their first year. 

It is wonderful news from Xcel and well and truly above and beyond their responsibility to the birds at their plants.  It is perfectly acceptable to project managers to say, "this site just won't work" and remove the nestbox for good.  The peregrines are perfectly capable of finding somewhere new, with or without our assistance, though in cases like these, project managers tend to provide them with options nearby in order to retain successful pairs within an existing territory.  Good for the birds, good for their fans and good for the project.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 05:20 »
Great news Alison!  I was worried when I read they'd take the nest box down - worried they'd return and try to nest out on an open area somewhere and meet with more disaster!  But for them to do this is amazing!!  Not only will the falcons be able to nest but they won't have to worry about falling into the stacks!

I was reading the other day that in the southern US, over 50% of birds that nest near power plants down there end up dying there either by falling into the stacks or flying into power grids and such.  Very tragic as they seem to love nesting at them.  Very happy to hear that these guys are willing to spend money to help save the peregrine falcon...they go on my 'good list'  ;)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 22:15 »
Excellent news on the screen!  What an improvement and relief!

I could of possibly gotten the websites mixed up Alison.  When I was watching these sites this year, the male didn't seem to interested in covering up or feeding a new born chick.  Again, I could have possily gotten some websites mixed up.  And, if I did, that's my fault!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 21:32 »
Let's hope that next year Dad is a little better with the chicks...Dad managed to get himself out of trouble as I'm sure the female gave him an earfull  ::)

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the statement about Dad, Allikat? This is the second year at this nest for both Dad and his mate, Mandy Rose. Each year, they have had four chicks, and Dad has done a great job providing for his family. Feeding four didn't seem to bother him at all.

The problem at this nest has been the gas turbine: three of last year's chicks were found dead at the bottom of the turbine, and earlier last year the former resident female, Nora, and a juvenile also named Nora, were found dead there. Installing pigeon spikes did not work to solve the problem; this year one dead juvie (Gandalf) and one live juvie (who was released) were found at the base of the turbine.

For this reason, it was decided that the nest would be taken down. However, there is great news from Amy of Raptor Resource:

Great news on Blackdog! Xcel Energy decided to put a screen over the natural gas stack to prevent peregrines and other birds from entering and getting trapped. We are so pleased - this will be an expensive endeavor, and while Xcel has been a great partner in peregrine recovery and management, we didn't expect this! They will be putting the screen up sometime in January.

Mandy Rose today:

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 22:29 »
Let's hope that next year Dad is a little better with the chicks...Dad managed to get himself out of trouble as I'm sure the female gave him an earfull  ::)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 19:08 »
One adult at the nest late today, and then both were there for a few minutes:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 19:55 »
I'm not sure when the Black Dog nest box will be taken down, but for now it is still there. I hate to see the nest go, but it is by far the better option than to lose any more falcons.

I think this is Little Dad at the nest today; big eyes, and a more pointed malar stripe than Mandy Rose has:

They were both there for one pic only

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 13:18 »
THIS IS OLDER NEWS
I was very disappointed to learn from the 2009 Banding Report that the spikes installed on the stack didn't prevent the problem here and that the box will be pulled.  Thanks to Bob and Xcel for their efforts.  I will really miss this site, but better not to lose any more falcons

BUT THIS IS NEW AT RRP
H/24 Gandalf died.
Another juvemile was rescused, but I don't have a band number for that one.
Amy

http://raptorresource.org/forum/index.php/topic,105.540.html
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 13:24 by kittenface »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 21:03 »
One visit today for one pic only, and it's one of the juvies:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 19:00 »
I think this is Dad visiting the nest box today:

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 20:37 »
Okay I had to go look that up...gabba gabba I thought  ???  Is that like Yabba Dabba Doo  ::)  Apparently a childrens show, I'm old  :P   
Unfortuntely I do know there is a show that there is a song go gabba gabba thank goodness my grandson grew out of it fast listening to it drove me nuts

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 20:03 »
Okay I had to go look that up...gabba gabba I thought  ???  Is that like Yabba Dabba Doo  ::)  Apparently a childrens show, I'm old  :P   

I was wondering about Gabba-Gabba too - had never heard of it. It makes me think of names like Blue Foot and Jump Up which were used one year at Hamilton . . .

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 19:46 »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 19:31 »
The four Black Dog chicks were banded. They are:

Female:  1687-30290   90/D   b/r      Gracie
Female:  1687-30291   91/D   b/r      Rosalina
Male:     2206-72383   H/24   b/g      Gandalf
Male:     2206-72384   H/25   b/g      Gabba-Gabba
A while back I posted that due to a stack with a gas turbine, three of the four 2008 juvies, the former resident female, Nora, and a juvenile also named Nora were all lost. Pigeon spikes have now been installed on top of the stack to prevent the falcons from perching there. I hope this will avoid any more tragic losses. From Raptor Resource:

Xcel has installed spikes to keep the falcons (and other birds) off the natural gas stack and, according to employee observations, they seem to be working. The installation involved hoisting a worker 320 feet into the air on a crane. He welded spikes around the rim and on a crossbar. A big thanks to Xcel and whoever did the 320 foot-up welding job. Our hats are off to you!

All four chicks fledged, I hope successfully. I haven't seen any of them at the nest for a number of days now.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 18:09 »
The four Black Dog chicks will soon be fledging. They have all been up on the edge of the nest, and one ventured onto the perch earlier. A parent is quite frequently watching over them from above.