Author Topic: Bald Eagle - Maryland / Blackwater  (Read 5487 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Bald Eagle - Maryland / Blackwater (2010)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 20:33 »
At the nest this evening:

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Bald Eagle - Maryland / Blackwater (2009)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 20:09 »
I checked the site this afternoon....this is getting exciting!  

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Bald Eagle - Maryland / Blackwater (2009)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 19:46 »
Both eagles visited the nest this evening:

Yesterday, they worked on the nest (this pic is from the site):

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Bald Eagle - Maryland / Blackwater
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 19:54 »
The eagle cam at the Blackwater Refuge in Maryland is active again, and both eagles have been seen at the nest. These pics are from the site:

Earlier this year, this pair raised two eaglets. The eaglets hatched during a major, ongoing snowstorm, one day apart. The parents were able to keep the tiny eaglets protected, and both survived. The older eaglet bullied his sibling unmercifully, plucking the down from his head, making him stay down in the nest, and trying to keep him from the food. I know eaglets do this at times, but this was the most pronounced bullying I have seen, especially with only one day's difference in their ages. As the eaglets grew, the bullying ceased. The eaglets were named Chesapeake and Choptank after rivers in the area, and both fledged successfully.

I had been thinking about this year's eaglets, and when I went back to the site today, the webmaster, Lisa, had obviously been thinking the same thing: she had posted pics from the snowstorm. She does a great job of keeping the site up to date, and writes an informative blog. There is also an osprey cam at the same link, and the eagles can be seen visiting this nest when the ospreys are gone for the winter.

http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/camhtm2.html