Author Topic: News: Ospreys  (Read 15820 times)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: News: Ospreys
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2018, 14:03 »
Manitoba Hydro aims to save osprey, prevent outages by using dummy posts to lure hawks from electrified poles

Bryce Hoye · CBC News · Posted: Jun 09, 2018 6:00 AM CT

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/osprey-nest-lake-winnipeg-manitoba-hydro-poles-1.4697714

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2016, 18:15 »
Cool Video - https://twitter.com/manitobahydro/status/768173067616919552

And our hero Dennis was the one who rescued the injured chick!!

This good news story has definitely made my day, but it’s very sad when humans continue to drop fishing lines and many other used items along our waterways. Thank you to Dennis, Manitoba Conservation and Manitoba Hydro for all of their help concerning this osprey family!

Dennis, I'm so thankful you happened to be in the right place at the right time, and I cannot thank you enough for rescuing the poor chick!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2016, 14:52 »
Cool Video - https://twitter.com/manitobahydro/status/768173067616919552

And our hero Dennis was the one who rescued the injured chick!!

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2014, 20:02 »

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2014, 19:40 »
Cool!  :-*   It is great that hydro accommodated the birds.  I wish others would be as accommodating to wildlife.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
News: Ospreys / 2014
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2014, 19:35 »
A nice way to start the new year ....

Homeless osprey gets its own pole
Dr. Roly Armitage / Ottawa Citizen / 3 Jan 2014

Ten years ago an osprey, a bird of the fish-eating hawk family, attempted to build a nest on top of a hydro pole mixed in with the existing wires and Hydro had to remove it.  I intervened and asked them if they could extend the pole to accommodate the bird. Instead, they put in a new pole with a crib on top and moved the nest. The bird has returned every year and produced one or two young, much to the joy of several photographers and bird fanciers and local people.

Now a new bird, probably one of the offspring, started a new nest on an adjoining hydro pole and I phoned hydro in Arnprior and asked if they could accommodate our new guest and they said they would do what they could.  I just checked and lo and behold a new pole with the crib on top is in place and the nest transferred.

Thanks again to our hydro people for their respect of nature. This whole event is at the Dunrobin bridge across Constance Creek on the Thomas Dolan Parkway By the way, there is also a Canadian flag flying on top of a beaver hut directly underneath.

Dr. Roly Armitage
Dunrobin, Ont.

source:  http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Homeless+osprey+gets+pole/9348054/story.html

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: News: Ospreys / 2013
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2013, 18:20 »
Great video, TPC. Thanks for posting it! Amazing to watch the "helicopter landing" into the nest. 8)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2013, 12:32 »
Check out this news report - wonderful flying/landing/nesting/courting video of ospreys - one of which just returned to New Hampshire from Brazil - a bird with a transmitter

http://on.aol.com/video/osprey-makes-return-to-new-hampshire-from-brazil--a-5-000-mile-trip-517741193?icid=video_related_7#_videoid=517724615

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2013, 16:24 »
If I hadn't seen it for myself I wouldn't have believed...Geese have taken over the Osprey nest site near Gimli Mb. This pair must have worked hard on their landing skills.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/recent_photos

Good news is the Osprey have constructed a new nest across the road.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2013, 12:55 »
Love Dennis' reaction. ;D

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2013, 18:43 »
WHAT  >:( >:( >:(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2013, 12:18 »
Here's a note from one of the osprey watchers up near Gimli ....

A pair of geese are squatting in the Osprey nest on a hydro pole in South Siglavik, Gimli.
The Osprey are dive bombing the geese. When I left the geese were standing their ground!

Thanks AH!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2013, 19:47 »
From one of our very (very) loyal lurkers ...

http://www.nhnature.org/programs/project_ospreytrack/index.php

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
News: Ospreys / 2013
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2013, 09:41 »
Amazing!  Thanks for sharing Dennis! :o

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2013, 16:51 »
Un-Real!!
It was especially cool to see the slow motion wing motion. I love these raptors partly because of their "weird" wing shape with the huge shoulders that seem to swing upward. It seems to make them so powerful..now I see why!
Thanks so much for posting this!

Offline dodobird

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2013, 11:03 »
WOW :o

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2013, 21:11 »
Thanks, Dennis.
I love watching Osprey hunt.  We get a good view in the summer at Shuswap Lake, BC.
It is always exciting to see them hunt, the circling, the dive, big splash and the rise, with the prize. 
Bonus to see the talons juggle to get the fish heading forward as they fly gaining altitude.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2013, 19:19 »
I have been asked to post this for all to see...perhaps this link has already been posted, but I'm to cold and lazy after today to take the time to check.

This is an incredible video. I can't believe this Osprey got 5-6 fish at a time, then got a flounder under 3' of water, and then made off with what looks to be a 5+ lb. steelhead.

I've never seen a bird shake water off like a dog does - wouldn't want to get in the way of him

when he's got his eyes locked and his talons in the "load" position!  Its talons are amazing!

There are 3 sequences in this one video:
1st sequence he catches half a dozen fish in one strike.
2nd sequence he plunges talons into deep water right to the bottom to grab his  prey.
3rd sequence he captures a big old fish that looks as if it weighs more than he does!

This is incredible to watch (best viewed in full screen mode)...enjoy!

Click Here:  http://www.youtube.com/embed/nA3LtXnNIto?feature=player_embedded

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: News: Ospreys / 2012
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2012, 22:08 »
Wow, I haven't seen anything like that before. I'll have to park my butt out there this weekend.
Thank you for the update.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2012, 18:04 »
I did confirm this week-end that both chicks are up and flying...perhaps not as graceful as the adults but they are making there way from pole to pole and back to the nest for feeding...(and yes I have photos) with flights out across the water ways leading to the lake.

Now what I did witness was an territorial confrontation between 2 females with both males in the area...at the time 1 chick was in the nest and just ducked down out of sight. The other was on a pole and appeared to sit very still.
This was the first time that I have seen anything like this...but it didn't really surprise me.

Photos from the week-end will be worked on soon.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2012, 11:16 »
Ran in the Islundigadagurinn race on Sunday morning and as I was coming up to the nest site I saw a giant outline of an Osprey fly out over the highway and back toward the nest. I thought that was it but as I came out from the treeline, there were 3 in the air so it looks like one of the chicks had fledged! The other one was sitting on the nest. They were hard to see from underneath because of the brilliant sunlight but one was hanging in the breeze and not doing much "fancy" flying so I assume that that was the fledgling. Likely both will be up by next week.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2012, 10:47 »
Osprey chicks are growing fast and are now become more visible in the nest...beginning to do some wingersizeing.
Hopefully the job jar at the lake won't be to full so I can sneak away.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2012, 11:29 »
Thanks for the picture Dennis. Now I know how many to keep track of.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2012, 10:14 »
I have stopped to view this nest, when on my way to Gimli. It is well worth the stop! Lucky you, bcf & Dennis, to be able to see it on a regular basis. And great photos, Dennis! :-*

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 06:15 »
I ran past the osprey nest at Siglivik this morning and there were 2 adults perched on the hydro pole cross supports and one little head sticking up in the nest. I do not know how many chicks there are this year and this is the first chance I have had to watch since they have hatched. Anyone wanting to see them, they are visible from highway nine at Siglivik, 6 miles past Winnipeg Beach. There is a big 6 mile mark on the shoulder for the Islandigdagurin road race. (The mile markers are on the east shoulder all the way from Winnipeg Beach to Gimli) If you see that, you are in the right place. They are on top of a hydro pole there on the east side of the highway.

There is 2 chicks confirmed...  http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/image/144676396/original

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 03:28 »
i wondered if that could have something to do with it. I have seen them drop down onto their nest and it is also an unusual type of flight. Thanks so much for filling me in on that.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2012, 22:57 »
Thank you. They are so beautiful with their interestingly shaped wings.

The muscle development is part of what gives them the distinctive shape, some of the feathers are longer as well contributing to "the look".  They don't dive below about 3 feet in the water (or not willingly or on purpose) but they do need to be able to lift off from a partially submerged position vertically with a fish that will weigh between 20 and 50 percent of its own body weight.  It is believed that the shape/look is an adaptation for this particular style of hunting.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 22:39 »
Thank you. They are so beautiful with their interestingly shaped wings.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2012, 22:31 »
I ran past the osprey nest at Siglivik this morning and there were 2 adults perched on the hydro pole cross supports and one little head sticking up in the nest. I do not know how many chicks there are this year and this is the first chance I have had to watch since they have hatched. Anyone wanting to see them, they are visible from highway nine at Siglivik, 6 miles past Winnipeg Beach. There is a big 6 mile mark on the shoulder for the Islandigdagurin road race. (The mile markers are on the east shoulder all the way from Winnipeg Beach to Gimli) If you see that, you are in the right place. They are on top of a hydro pole there on the east side of the highway.

And check out these osprey's on/in Dennis gallery - www.pbase.com/photosbydennis

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 21:24 »

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2012, 08:35 »
Thanks for the link, KC!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
News: Ospreys / 2012
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 19:38 »
"Lady", the record breaking Osprey that has been returning to Scotland's Loch of the Lowes for 22 years has recently laid her 62 egg. If you're interested in reading more of the story or checking out the webcam at this nestsite, click on the following link...

http://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/news/loch-of-the-lowes-osprey-lays-62nd-egg/

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
Re: News: Ospreys / 2011
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2011, 20:57 »
Return trip from Gimli finds 2 chicks looking very proud of their accomplished flying and landing skills still hanging around the nest site. From what I seen landing on a 4x4 cross arm on a hydro pole can still give a little problem for one of the birds. The young flier over shot the approach and ended up in between the cross arms...a couple frantic flaps and it's back perched up-right.
Reminded me of that stunned/embarrassed look folks do when they trip in public ??
A few Osprey photos have been added and more will be coming in the days to come.

This might have been my last chance to view these raptors for this year...looking forward to again checking next spring.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2011, 20:26 »
Oh, that is such good news, that you got to see one of the chicks go for a fly-about, while you were there today, bcf. :D And what a treat that must have been, to have seen the chicks through the lens of "Wowzer"! 8)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2011, 15:27 »
Stopped at the nest site on the way home from Gimli and was treated to a peek at 2 of the chicks through "wowzer". The 2 visible were on the hydo pole just across from the nest. One of them went for a little fly by while I was there. Dennis had seen what he believed to be the other chick earlier. So it sounds like a successful fledge so far. They are huge and very beautiful.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2011, 19:15 »
Went by the nest last Saturday and there was really no change in the appearance of the nest. One adult sitting on the side of the nest and the chicks' heads and wings popping up and down once in a while.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 23:07 »
Do you have any idea when they will be fledging, bcf? I was hoping to get out to see the nest before they fledge.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 22:57 »
We went and spent Sunday evening with the good binocs in hand and all seemed very quiet. We thought for a moment that the chicks were gone. An adult suddenly turned up out on nowhere with fish in hand (talon) which stirred up the chicks. It looks like the chicks are feeding themselves now. They still stay down in the nest. I've never seen them close to fledging because I've never been out so much at this time of year, so I don't know what to expect. I'll just have to keep watching I guess.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 20:46 »
I do hope to get out to the Gimli area sometime this summer. So I will keep my eyes open for the Osprey nest. I saw it last summer and it was amazing to see, way up there on that hydro pole. :D

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 20:25 »
I did confirm on July 17th 3 chicks in the nest...so they must be getting much larger now, I need to get up there !

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/image/136953186
Great photo Dennis

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 20:17 »
I could see the two for sure but couldn't be sure there was 3. Their little heads pop up and down and an occasional wing comes up so counting from the ground is next to impossible. We are taking our better binocs this weekend; they are nothing like a Woowzer though!

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 19:31 »
I did confirm on July 17th 3 chicks in the nest...so they must be getting much larger now, I need to get up there !

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/image/136953186

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 17:31 »
So I've had lots of time to observe the osprey nest this past week. I was treated to the arrival of one of the adults who flew in with a stick to add to the nest. They fly beautifully and fold their wings in a funny manner as they come in. I also saw a feeding, I assume it was a fish being torn up and fed to the chicks. There are at least two but they stay low in the nest still. I could see their wings as they stretched and they have flight feathers so hopefully they will be up on the edge of the nest for a while prior to fledging. The nest is close to the highway so a pair of binocs gets you an excellent view. I will be keeping an eye on them this weekend.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 18:38 »
Maybe they'll be bigger this week and I'll be able to do a head count!! I have to remember to take my binocs.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 08:48 »
Thanks Dennis. I poked around to see if anyone observes and blogs about this nest but was unable to ascertain how many chicks are there this year. Are you aware if there is a wildlife expert or birding community that is "in the know?'

I don't think so BCF, anecdotally perhaps ...

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 22:38 »
Sorry don't know...perhaps this is it  ;) ???

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 21:35 »
Thanks Dennis. I poked around to see if anyone observes and blogs about this nest but was unable to ascertain how many chicks are there this year. Are you aware if there is a wildlife expert or birding community that is "in the know?'

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 17:52 »
Yep,they just moved it a short distance West. If you are close look you can see the wire mess on the under side of the nest...and the pole has no wires coming or going from it.
Good job Manitoba Hydro.

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 07:50 »
Dennis is this the nest that Hydo moved from one pole (believe the nest was causing a concern) to another?

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 06:23 »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 06:13 »
Thanks for posting about seeing the Osprey chicks, bcf. :) I haven't been out to the Gimli area yet this summer.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 23:05 »
Ran from Winnipeg Beach to Gimli this morning so I had a great view of the nest for a while. There was an adult sitting at the side of the nest and at least one tiny head popping up once in a while.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 21:13 »
That's great to hear, bcf! :D

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 20:57 »
On my run from Winnipeg Beach to Gimli I was able to have a long look at the Osprey nest near Miklavik. Both adults were at the nest this morning; one lying in a ??brooding position or ??on chicks and the other standing on the edge of the nest. I am not a bird expert by any means but the only time I've ever seen a bird sitting on a nest is when it contains chicks or eggs so I hope that is the case. It's nice to see them back. I'll be running there next week too so will update.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 20:56 »
Thanks for this link, carly. :-* I just wasn't able to locate a webcam from your previous links. ::)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 17:06 »
Oh yes there is definitely an Osprey cam - you can watch the Lady and her Laird here:

http://www.swt.org.uk/wildlife/webcams/loch-of-lowes/

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 17:02 »
Too cool, why don't they put stuff like this on the front page of the paper.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 15:29 »
Lady just laid her second egg!!!  (We need a bowing/worship icon!!!)
Fantastic news here at Loch of the Lowes!...

This is fantastic news! ;D I guess there isn't a webcam, or is there, carly? :-\
I was just thinking the same thing!   :D
Wow and yikes, so was I Allikat  ;D :-*

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 15:14 »

This is fantastic news! ;D I guess there isn't a webcam, or is there, carly? :-\
I was just thinking the same thing!   :D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 11:55 »

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 11:59 by Kinderchick »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 11:52 »
Lady just laid her second egg!!!  (We need a bowing/worship icon!!!)

Fantastic news here at Loch of the Lowes!

Today at 14:16 we were all thrilled to see our resident female lay her second egg of the season.  This brings her grand total up to 60 eggs and increases our hope of seeing her 50th chick fledge this year.  Last year our resident female laid 3 eggs and we may see another egg over the next few days.  Osprey eggs take between 35 and 39 days to hatch and throughout this period the female will carryout the larger portion of the incubation responsibilities.  On average males will incubate for 20-35% of daylight hours but this does vary from male to male.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 19:28 »
This is an amazing story considering Lady is 26 yrs. old!...:o "Female ospreys live an average of eight years and produce about 20 chicks in that time. Lady has produced 56 eggs and has now seen 48 fledge."  ;D 8)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:19 »
What a wonderful story!  This 26-year-old female has defied all the odds.  She had a strong will, and great genes, and these genes have been passed on to her chicks.  The only sad news in this whole story is that they have to protect her from wildlife poachers.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:18 by carly »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: News: Ospreys / 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 12:14 »
Awww,....round the clock babysitters!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 10:10 »
What an amazing story, carly! It delighted my heart! :D Also gives me hope that Trey may still be on his way back to Winnipeg! ;)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 07:25 »
Thank you for posting this Carly....this story put a huge smile on my face!    :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
News: Ospreys / 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 06:41 »
World's Oldest Breeding Osprey Returns to Scotland for the 20th Year!!

Wildlife rangers watched with bated breath as the oldest breeding osprey recorded in Scotland returned to its Perthshire nest for the 20th consecutive year. The female bird was spotted yesterday landing at her usual eyrie at the Loch of the Lowes, near Dunkeld. Estimated to be 25 years old, more than three times the usual lifespan, she had completed a 3,000-mile migration from West Africa to her summer breeding ground.

“She is a hardy old bird, that’s for sure,” said Emma Rawling, a ranger for the Scottish Wildlife Trust, which manages the loch as a nature reserve. “We are truly amazed at her tenacity and endurance.” During the last 19 seasons the osprey has laid 55 eggs, 46 of which have successfully hatched into chicks that flew the nest. Whether she will prove so fecund this year was a moot point, said Ms Rawling.

Usually after mating, we would expect the female to lay between two to four eggs in early April. Six weeks later the eggs should hatch. As a very old bird, her fertility is now in doubt,” she added.

It is expected that her mate, a male osprey who is identified with a green leg ring, will arrive within a week. Should an egg be laid, trust staff, helped by up to 70 volunteers, will man a round-the-clock watch to safeguard the osprey and their eggs.

High life: The Old Lady of the Loch

6,000 miles - distance travelled by the Old Lady of the Loch every year during her migration. She has flown an estimated 150,000 miles in her lifetime.
25 years - the bird's probable age.
55 eggs - the number of eggs she has laid, 46 of which have hatched.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 16:19 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
News: Ospreys
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 18:16 »
For anyone who is interested in ospreys, there is an incredible series of photos of an osprey catching a fish at this link, provided by the Blackwater osprey nest site:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/823384
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:24 by The Peregrine Chick »