Author Topic: WI / Milwaukee - Valley Power - 2009-16  (Read 5045 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
2016 NESTING SEASON

The resident male at this nest is Hercules, born in 2011 at St.Joseph's Hospital. He is banded black/red 60/H. The resident female is unbanded.

Last year, the old nest box was replaced with a brand new one. The birds seemed to approve, and successfully raised four chicks.

This year, four eggs are being incubated:

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Milwaukee / Milwaukee Valley Power - 2014 / ? & ?
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 14:58 »
Falcon shot, injured; authorities search for suspects - 2nd peregrine falcon found dead
WE Energies News / 11 March 2014

We are sad to report that a peregrine falcon that has nested at one of our power plant nest boxes has been shot. The adult female falcon from our Milwaukee County Power Plant was found injured recently in West Allis. The bird was unable to fly and in obvious distress. The falcon, named Madame X, was taken to the Wisconsin Humane Society’s Wildlife Rehabilitation Center (WRC) where she is receiving around the clock care.  Madame X has suffered extensive injuries. She has several shotgun pellets lodged in her body. She also has a broken coracoid (collar bone) and likely will not fly again. But she is showing signs of improvement, and the staff at the rehabilitation center is impressed by her feistiness and hearty appetite.

Authorities believe Madame X was purposely shot and are asking for the public’s help in making an arrest. The falcon was found at 2 p.m. on Feb. 27 in a yard outside the Cocktails & Dreams tavern at 55th and Grant in West Allis. Anyone who heard or saw anything unusual in this timeframe is asked to call the West Allis Crime Stoppers at 414-476-CASH (2274). Callers may request confidentiality.  A $5,000 reward is being offered by the Humane Society of the United States and the Humane Society Wildlife Land Trust for information leading to an arrest and conviction of the responsible party. In addition, the We Energies Foundation is contributing $2,500 to the WRC for Madame X’s continued care and recovery.

Peregrine falcons are listed as an endangered species in Wisconsin. They also are protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Act. Shooting a peregrine falcon is a serious crime, punishable by jail time and fines. The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is the lead investigative agency in this case.  

We have been involved in Wisconsin’s peregrine falcon recovery effort since the early 1990s. We sponsored the release of captive-produced peregrines and then installed nest boxes at six power plant sites. To date, nearly 200 peregrines have been produced at our facilities. Last year, peregrines nesting at our power plants accounted for 20 percent of Wisconsin’s total state production.  The loss of Madame X from our Milwaukee County site is especially sad because she was the first falcon to successfully nest at that site. Last spring, she produced three young – Abigail, Vita and Stella. This was the first successful nest at Milwaukee County Power Plant since the plant’s nest box was installed in 2007. A successful nest for the 2014 nesting season at the site now is in jeopardy.

We also are sad to report that Swede, the adult male from our Valley Power Plant, was found dead recently. The bird suffered severe head trauma, although it’s unclear exactly what happened. Swede was 15 years old and had been a mainstay at Valley Power Plant for several nesting seasons. With Swede gone, a successful nest also is in jeopardy at this site.

We remain optimistic that new falcons will move into our Milwaukee County and Valley Power Plant sites as the nesting season is just getting underway. Once again, the public will be able to follow the activity via our live webcams, which will be available soon at we-energies.com/falcons.  We also remain optimistic that Madame X will continue to recover. We’re hoping she’ll eventually move to a new home at a nature center, where she can help in educational efforts. She can still live a long and healthy life, helping educate others about the importance of saving this endangered species.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Milwaukee / Milwaukee Valley Power - 2014 / ? & ?
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 11:58 »
2014 NESTING SEASON

From Greg at WE Energies ...

Peregrines have been present all winter here. A new nest box has been built and will be installed after the nesting season. A new PTZ webcam also will be installed, which will allow us to ID the adults by reading their bands. For now, the old webcam is still working and should get us through the nesting season so we can document egg-laying and hatching.

The first egg was laid here on March 16 last year.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Milwaukee Valley Power - 2010 / Swede & Maya
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 19:38 »
I really like this nestbox... I like that it's deep enough so the eyases... (would) be hidden from predators.
I like this nestbox design too. But wouldn't a predator be able to smell them, if a parent weren't there to protect them? ???

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 16:38 »
Two chicks for Maya and Swede:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 16:59 »
The falcons at this site have been identified as Maya, black/green band M/12, born in 2006 at the WPS Weston Power Plant in Rothschild, Wisconsin, and her mate Swede, black/green band P/Z, born at the Green Bay Pulliam nest in 1999. This is probably his fifth year at this nest. Maya is here for her first year.

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 23:19 »
One egg disappeared last week but the other 2 hatched great April 29th

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 18:01 »
Three eggs now at Valley Power:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 23:12 »
Two eggs in the Valley Power nest!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 22:55 »
The falcons at Valley Power continue to spend time at the nest.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 11:06 »
TPC, was what wrong with Taku?   

Taku had a cerebral event of some sort, like a stroke is my understanding.  At her necropsy it was found that half of her brain had died and was necrotic.  It is believed that when she died the necrosis had reached the balance centre in her brain so she had no way to be able to orient herself.  If she hadn't tumbled out of the nestbox she would have died in a day maybe two in the nestbox.  Instead she died instantly upon impact on a roof below the nestbox.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 19:03 »
Back at the nest box again today. The female (I think) spend a lot of time there on her favourite perch:

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 00:55 »
This nest has the big rocks for perching to see over the ledge.  They could act like that air vent cover that our Radisson chicks used before they ventured onto the ledge.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 23:32 »
TPC you are probably right about the height. However, I liked the height of our ledge, the chicks could see over but really didn't attempt to go any further until they were ready to. It didn't make me feel any easier watching them as I always worried that one may topple but they seemed to be more aware of what was around them. Comparing this site with the one in Richmond where they couldn't see over the ledge as well seems to me to be an opportunity for disaster. Maybe they try to jump on the ledge before their time to see their surroundings and the balance isn't what it should be. Weather and wind conditions factored in make for slippery landings on ledges that have not been attempted before. Our chicks learned to hanker? down to the wall when weather was not good and to peer over the ledge when conditions were better. Only my opinion.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 21:17 »
I like this nest box design too. I wonder if Princess and Trey might like this type of nest box?

One adult at the nest again today:

TPC, was what wrong with Taku?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 11:06 »
Fall out?  :P  Peregrines do not "fall" out of their nests or evolution would have eaten them by now! So what about Taku you ask (2007 chick that died), Taku didn't "fall" from the nestbox on the Radisson, the necrosis of her brain finally was affecting her muscular control (she couldn't hold her head up) and her balance centre and it is believed would have died that day had she not pitched herself over the edge of the nestbox.  Falling is an accident, pitching oneself over the edge due to a terminal cerebral accident, is not falling.

As for the front section of this nestbox, a horse would have difficulty getting over that to accidentally "fall"  :o   And I like the design too Carly!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 18:00 »
I really like this nestbox.  I like that it's deep enough so the eyases wouldn't fall out or accidently knock each other off and they'd be hidden from predators.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 19:42 »
One adult at the nest today:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Milwaukee / Milwaukee Valley Power - 2010 / Swede & Maya
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 20:45 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

One visit from an adult today:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Milwaukee Valley Power - 2009 / Swede & Jean
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 19:59 »
Amazing how many birds are hanging around at their nestboxes these days ... not sure I remember so many "overwintering" birds last year or the year before.

I have always seen a number of birds staying around all winter, and spending quite a bit of time at their nest boxes. If more of the webcams remained active during the winter, I think we would see more falcons visiting their nests.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 00:52 »
Amazing how many birds are hanging around at their nestboxes these days ... not sure I remember so many "overwintering" birds last year or the year before.

Bet s/he is regretting it if Milwaukee is getting hammered by the storm raging through the eastern USA this week!  :o

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 21:14 »
Meditating ... surveying their territory ....

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
WI / Milwaukee - Valley Power - 2009-16
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 16:37 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

One on the ledge early this morning, looking half asleep:

This year Jean and Swede laid 5 eggs but only 2 hatched in late May.  There was one male (Butch) and one female (Lily).