Author Topic: PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2009-22  (Read 15379 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2022 / Ecco & Morela
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2022, 18:11 »
2022 NESTING SEASON

In September 2019 a new unbanded female Peregrine arrived at the Cathedral of Learning, named Morela (Polish for “apricot”) for the distinctive apricot-colored wash on her chest and face that makes her recognizable on camera. Because she is unbanded, we don’t know where she came from.

Morela and Ecco again raised four young in their second year together in 2022.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2021 / Ecco & Morela
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2021, 20:16 »
2021 NESTING SEASON

In September 2019 a new unbanded female Peregrine arrived at the Cathedral of Learning, named Morela (Polish for “apricot”) for the distinctive apricot-colored wash on her chest and face that makes her recognizable on camera. Because she is unbanded, we don’t know where she came from.

Morela and Ecco raised their first clutch, fledging four chicks in 2021.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2020 / Terzo & Morela
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2020, 17:41 »
2020 NESTING SEASON

A new lady friend who has been name Morela joined Terzo at the nestbox in the fall.  Haven't had any updates on the pair since about October.

Morela is Polish for apricot - she was named for the colour on her breast feathers.  A number of our breeding females get a dark salmon/rusty wash on their breast after the nesting season, so I suspect this is what Morela was displaying when she was identified.  No idea if she has bands or not.  If she doesn't it will be interesting to hear if she returns, if she still has her apricot-coloured breast in the spring.

And it appears the webcam is up and running - the link is below.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2019 / Terzo & Hope
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2019, 00:28 »
2019 NESTING SEASON

Hope and Terzo have been at their nestsite all winter. 
Last report was on 28 Dec 2018 when they were spotted at the nestbox bowing.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2016 / Terzo & Hope
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2016, 14:42 »

Here is the latest update on the Pittsburgh Peregrines, by Kate St. John:

http://www.birdsoutsidemywindow.org/2016/08/27/hope-is-visiting-tarentum/#comments

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2016, 19:04 »
The one chick who was allowed to survive fledged successfully, and has been seen flying in the area since then.

Recently, there have been two other females seen at the nest. The first was the resident female at the Neville Island nest, Magnum, who was seen bonding with Terzo several times. Then Hope was back again. Magnum has been seen at her Neville Island nest since that time.

The second is an immature bird, just a year old. She and Terzo were also seen bonding at the nest. I do not know where Hope is at the moment.

Hope is going back and forth from one site to another; perhaps she still feels more comfortable at Tarentum Bridge, however, it’s interesting that several other females are also moving around in the area lately. I see there have been numerous comments regarding this in the updates for August on Kate St. John’s blog.

Kate’s latest peregrine update:

http://www.birdsoutsidemywindow.org/2016/08/14/update-your-scorecard/#comments

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2016, 20:56 »
The one chick who was allowed to survive fledged successfully, and has been seen flying in the area since then.

Recently, there have been two other females seen at the nest. The first was the resident female at the Neville Island nest, Magnum, who was seen bonding with Terzo several times. Then Hope was back again. Magnum has been seen at her Neville Island nest since that time.

The second is an immature bird, just a year old. She and Terzo were also seen bonding at the nest. I do not know where Hope is at the moment.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

There is only one chick (1st hatch) left at this nest. :(

Although I don't feel up to viewing the 2nd hatch, I was watching the 4th hatch (Terzo’s egg) when Hope removed chick from shell and fed to C1. I do believe she knew something about the 2nd and 4th hatch that we could not detect.

C3 (3rd hatch) died during the night while Hope was brooding. I don’t believe this death was intentional and felt very sorry as Hope paced back and forth while gently trying to nudge the chick - several times - but to no avail.... Terzo and Hope continued brooding the deceased C3 along with C1 (and the 4th egg) until the next day - when Hope decided it was time to stop, and the remains of C3 were then fed to C1.

Maybe the eggs were affected by less frequent incubation while Hope had to hunt on her own (after E2 died). She also had to spend time finding and bonding with a new mate, though I'm sure there are many other things to consider. I've come across several opinions regarding Hope - and some were quite interesting; however, (in my opinion) there simply aren't enough facts.

Thankfully, C1 (E2's egg) is growing very well and receiving plenty of attention from Terzo and Hope, and I’m hoping this adorable chick will live on to enjoy a happy/healthy future. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Earlier today I saw Hope come in with food at 15:40; she then repeated this at 17:25 and it didn't seem too long before she returned with prepared food on both occasions, so she appears to be a good provider. Later, I wondered if Hope caught the prey herself or if Terzo might intentionally be stashing it for her in a nearby location. I'd like to know if this happens again.

Terzo incubated both times while Hope was away, and I presume he's doing a good job of watching for intruders when Hope incubates - as I've heard him nearby on several occasions. 

It is quite usual for the males to leave food elsewhere - both cached and newly caught for their mate.  Both Ivy and Smiley have arrived with food and then flown away with it with Princess in hot pursuit.  The boys quickly returned and took over incubation/brooding.  Sneaky boys because Princess generally doesn't hand over brooding much in the first few days after hatch - and often she just yells at them, grabs the food and feeds the chicks then resumes brooding.  Little dictator, no wonder the boys get sneaky.  ;D

I find Hope's handing over the chicks so very young to Terzo a good sign that they are working together.  More like Hurricane and Brooklyn than Princess and any of her men. Jules rarely gave up the eggs or chicks because of her choice of nestsite I believe but unlikely that she would share much in any case.  Joli does most the work as well, but I think she thinks Hart's a bit of a softie but she is comparing him to Cowboy who was anything but.  Faith seems pretty attached to her new eggs.  Ty incubates for long periods but when she's "on", even fresh food delivered to the nestbox can't tempt her off.  While it would be nice to have Beatrix back at WW, the silver lining is that it is always fun (& educational) to see how new birds work.

I should have mentioned that before Hope came back with food yesterday she had been calling Terzo repeatedly ... but with no success (so I thought!).

It was a relief to see food come in and I simply assumed Hope had given up on Terzo. Much later, it suddenly crossed my mind that she likely didn't hunt and prepare that prey all by herself (so quickly).

TPC, your examples are much appreciated. They're all very interesting, and I do hope we're seeing good signs for Terzo and Hope. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

I see there are videos of the feedings I mentioned yesterday.

The first is called "Hope feeds C1 and C3", and the 2nd is "Hope brings food for C1 and C3". They are beneath the live cam on WildEarth.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Earlier today I saw Hope come in with food at 15:40; she then repeated this at 17:25 and it didn't seem too long before she returned with prepared food on both occasions, so she appears to be a good provider. Later, I wondered if Hope caught the prey herself or if Terzo might intentionally be stashing it for her in a nearby location. I'd like to know if this happens again.

Terzo incubated both times while Hope was away, and I presume he's doing a good job of watching for intruders when Hope incubates - as I've heard him nearby on several occasions. 

It is quite usual for the males to leave food elsewhere - both cached and newly caught for their mate.  Both Ivy and Smiley have arrived with food and then flown away with it with Princess in hot pursuit.  The boys quickly returned and took over incubation/brooding.  Sneaky boys because Princess generally doesn't hand over brooding much in the first few days after hatch - and often she just yells at them, grabs the food and feeds the chicks then resumes brooding.  Little dictator, no wonder the boys get sneaky.  ;D

I find Hope's handing over the chicks so very young to Terzo a good sign that they are working together.  More like Hurricane and Brooklyn than Princess and any of her men. Jules rarely gave up the eggs or chicks because of her choice of nestsite I believe but unlikely that she would share much in any case.  Joli does most the work as well, but I think she thinks Hart's a bit of a softie but she is comparing him to Cowboy who was anything but.  Faith seems pretty attached to her new eggs.  Ty incubates for long periods but when she's "on", even fresh food delivered to the nestbox can't tempt her off.  While it would be nice to have Beatrix back at WW, the silver lining is that it is always fun (& educational) to see how new birds work.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

Detailed info on "Who is Who at the Pitt Peregrine Nest" - by Kate St. John:

http://www.birdsoutsidemywindow.org/2016/04/06/who-is-who-at-the-pitt-peregrine-nest/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

Quick way to differentiate Terzo from Hope on Cam:

Terzo is smaller, with a very white breast and a touch of white just above his cere.

Left band on Terzo is black/red; left band on Hope is black/green.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Hey Carly - it is never pleasant to watch what is going on, even for those of us who work in the field and/or have been doing this for a few years.  For me the difference is that the questions after what/why is X happening? is how often does it happen? and how can we avoid it having it happen here?  Or if it happened here, what happened and does it happen elsewhere.  A big part of my job is just being a peregrine roadie - I hang around while they are down south, prep/plan for them to return by trying to have nestboxes where we think they may want them and where they theoretically won't come into conflict with others, that their nestsites are safe & secure, that the boxes are maintained, the gravel is in good condition and that there are no brown M&Ms in them* and that if they or their chicks go down, we'll try to get them up and flying again. (In return, they tolerate our occasional disturbance and with their kids getting bling at some point.)  The part that doesn't get talked about much is the time spent investigating and planning for a variety of scenarios including worse-case and then learning how to recognize when things are, or aren't, going south so that if we can, we can salvage what we can and try to prevent it from happening again.     

* google "brown M&Ms" if this reference makes no sense to you  ;D