Author Topic: PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2009-22  (Read 15376 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2022 / Ecco & Morela
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2022, 18:11 »
2022 NESTING SEASON

In September 2019 a new unbanded female Peregrine arrived at the Cathedral of Learning, named Morela (Polish for “apricot”) for the distinctive apricot-colored wash on her chest and face that makes her recognizable on camera. Because she is unbanded, we don’t know where she came from.

Morela and Ecco again raised four young in their second year together in 2022.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2021 / Ecco & Morela
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2021, 20:16 »
2021 NESTING SEASON

In September 2019 a new unbanded female Peregrine arrived at the Cathedral of Learning, named Morela (Polish for “apricot”) for the distinctive apricot-colored wash on her chest and face that makes her recognizable on camera. Because she is unbanded, we don’t know where she came from.

Morela and Ecco raised their first clutch, fledging four chicks in 2021.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2020 / Terzo & Morela
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2020, 17:41 »
2020 NESTING SEASON

A new lady friend who has been name Morela joined Terzo at the nestbox in the fall.  Haven't had any updates on the pair since about October.

Morela is Polish for apricot - she was named for the colour on her breast feathers.  A number of our breeding females get a dark salmon/rusty wash on their breast after the nesting season, so I suspect this is what Morela was displaying when she was identified.  No idea if she has bands or not.  If she doesn't it will be interesting to hear if she returns, if she still has her apricot-coloured breast in the spring.

And it appears the webcam is up and running - the link is below.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2019 / Terzo & Hope
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2019, 00:28 »
2019 NESTING SEASON

Hope and Terzo have been at their nestsite all winter. 
Last report was on 28 Dec 2018 when they were spotted at the nestbox bowing.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2016 / Terzo & Hope
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2016, 14:42 »

Here is the latest update on the Pittsburgh Peregrines, by Kate St. John:

http://www.birdsoutsidemywindow.org/2016/08/27/hope-is-visiting-tarentum/#comments

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2016, 19:04 »
The one chick who was allowed to survive fledged successfully, and has been seen flying in the area since then.

Recently, there have been two other females seen at the nest. The first was the resident female at the Neville Island nest, Magnum, who was seen bonding with Terzo several times. Then Hope was back again. Magnum has been seen at her Neville Island nest since that time.

The second is an immature bird, just a year old. She and Terzo were also seen bonding at the nest. I do not know where Hope is at the moment.

Hope is going back and forth from one site to another; perhaps she still feels more comfortable at Tarentum Bridge, however, it’s interesting that several other females are also moving around in the area lately. I see there have been numerous comments regarding this in the updates for August on Kate St. John’s blog.

Kate’s latest peregrine update:

http://www.birdsoutsidemywindow.org/2016/08/14/update-your-scorecard/#comments

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2016, 20:56 »
The one chick who was allowed to survive fledged successfully, and has been seen flying in the area since then.

Recently, there have been two other females seen at the nest. The first was the resident female at the Neville Island nest, Magnum, who was seen bonding with Terzo several times. Then Hope was back again. Magnum has been seen at her Neville Island nest since that time.

The second is an immature bird, just a year old. She and Terzo were also seen bonding at the nest. I do not know where Hope is at the moment.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

There is only one chick (1st hatch) left at this nest. :(

Although I don't feel up to viewing the 2nd hatch, I was watching the 4th hatch (Terzo’s egg) when Hope removed chick from shell and fed to C1. I do believe she knew something about the 2nd and 4th hatch that we could not detect.

C3 (3rd hatch) died during the night while Hope was brooding. I don’t believe this death was intentional and felt very sorry as Hope paced back and forth while gently trying to nudge the chick - several times - but to no avail.... Terzo and Hope continued brooding the deceased C3 along with C1 (and the 4th egg) until the next day - when Hope decided it was time to stop, and the remains of C3 were then fed to C1.

Maybe the eggs were affected by less frequent incubation while Hope had to hunt on her own (after E2 died). She also had to spend time finding and bonding with a new mate, though I'm sure there are many other things to consider. I've come across several opinions regarding Hope - and some were quite interesting; however, (in my opinion) there simply aren't enough facts.

Thankfully, C1 (E2's egg) is growing very well and receiving plenty of attention from Terzo and Hope, and I’m hoping this adorable chick will live on to enjoy a happy/healthy future. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Earlier today I saw Hope come in with food at 15:40; she then repeated this at 17:25 and it didn't seem too long before she returned with prepared food on both occasions, so she appears to be a good provider. Later, I wondered if Hope caught the prey herself or if Terzo might intentionally be stashing it for her in a nearby location. I'd like to know if this happens again.

Terzo incubated both times while Hope was away, and I presume he's doing a good job of watching for intruders when Hope incubates - as I've heard him nearby on several occasions. 

It is quite usual for the males to leave food elsewhere - both cached and newly caught for their mate.  Both Ivy and Smiley have arrived with food and then flown away with it with Princess in hot pursuit.  The boys quickly returned and took over incubation/brooding.  Sneaky boys because Princess generally doesn't hand over brooding much in the first few days after hatch - and often she just yells at them, grabs the food and feeds the chicks then resumes brooding.  Little dictator, no wonder the boys get sneaky.  ;D

I find Hope's handing over the chicks so very young to Terzo a good sign that they are working together.  More like Hurricane and Brooklyn than Princess and any of her men. Jules rarely gave up the eggs or chicks because of her choice of nestsite I believe but unlikely that she would share much in any case.  Joli does most the work as well, but I think she thinks Hart's a bit of a softie but she is comparing him to Cowboy who was anything but.  Faith seems pretty attached to her new eggs.  Ty incubates for long periods but when she's "on", even fresh food delivered to the nestbox can't tempt her off.  While it would be nice to have Beatrix back at WW, the silver lining is that it is always fun (& educational) to see how new birds work.

I should have mentioned that before Hope came back with food yesterday she had been calling Terzo repeatedly ... but with no success (so I thought!).

It was a relief to see food come in and I simply assumed Hope had given up on Terzo. Much later, it suddenly crossed my mind that she likely didn't hunt and prepare that prey all by herself (so quickly).

TPC, your examples are much appreciated. They're all very interesting, and I do hope we're seeing good signs for Terzo and Hope. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

I see there are videos of the feedings I mentioned yesterday.

The first is called "Hope feeds C1 and C3", and the 2nd is "Hope brings food for C1 and C3". They are beneath the live cam on WildEarth.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Earlier today I saw Hope come in with food at 15:40; she then repeated this at 17:25 and it didn't seem too long before she returned with prepared food on both occasions, so she appears to be a good provider. Later, I wondered if Hope caught the prey herself or if Terzo might intentionally be stashing it for her in a nearby location. I'd like to know if this happens again.

Terzo incubated both times while Hope was away, and I presume he's doing a good job of watching for intruders when Hope incubates - as I've heard him nearby on several occasions. 

It is quite usual for the males to leave food elsewhere - both cached and newly caught for their mate.  Both Ivy and Smiley have arrived with food and then flown away with it with Princess in hot pursuit.  The boys quickly returned and took over incubation/brooding.  Sneaky boys because Princess generally doesn't hand over brooding much in the first few days after hatch - and often she just yells at them, grabs the food and feeds the chicks then resumes brooding.  Little dictator, no wonder the boys get sneaky.  ;D

I find Hope's handing over the chicks so very young to Terzo a good sign that they are working together.  More like Hurricane and Brooklyn than Princess and any of her men. Jules rarely gave up the eggs or chicks because of her choice of nestsite I believe but unlikely that she would share much in any case.  Joli does most the work as well, but I think she thinks Hart's a bit of a softie but she is comparing him to Cowboy who was anything but.  Faith seems pretty attached to her new eggs.  Ty incubates for long periods but when she's "on", even fresh food delivered to the nestbox can't tempt her off.  While it would be nice to have Beatrix back at WW, the silver lining is that it is always fun (& educational) to see how new birds work.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

Detailed info on "Who is Who at the Pitt Peregrine Nest" - by Kate St. John:

http://www.birdsoutsidemywindow.org/2016/04/06/who-is-who-at-the-pitt-peregrine-nest/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

Quick way to differentiate Terzo from Hope on Cam:

Terzo is smaller, with a very white breast and a touch of white just above his cere.

Left band on Terzo is black/red; left band on Hope is black/green.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Hey Carly - it is never pleasant to watch what is going on, even for those of us who work in the field and/or have been doing this for a few years.  For me the difference is that the questions after what/why is X happening? is how often does it happen? and how can we avoid it having it happen here?  Or if it happened here, what happened and does it happen elsewhere.  A big part of my job is just being a peregrine roadie - I hang around while they are down south, prep/plan for them to return by trying to have nestboxes where we think they may want them and where they theoretically won't come into conflict with others, that their nestsites are safe & secure, that the boxes are maintained, the gravel is in good condition and that there are no brown M&Ms in them* and that if they or their chicks go down, we'll try to get them up and flying again. (In return, they tolerate our occasional disturbance and with their kids getting bling at some point.)  The part that doesn't get talked about much is the time spent investigating and planning for a variety of scenarios including worse-case and then learning how to recognize when things are, or aren't, going south so that if we can, we can salvage what we can and try to prevent it from happening again.     

* google "brown M&Ms" if this reference makes no sense to you  ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Thanks TPC - your replies are always so intelligent and informative.  I suppose cannibalism in a species is just not right to me and killing one's offspring as well.  I don't imagine any species would evolve if those behaviors were normal.  

I remember Doorly!  We have a female over here that keeps consuming her eggs, every clutch - year after year.  It's at a site with much competition so every year she has to battle off other females but even after she does that and reclutches - she lays the eggs and then immediately consumes them...be interesting to see what happens this year.  Although it's strange, I suppose we don't think as much of it because the eggs aren't developed, watching a female kill her own offspring though for me was just too much.  I guess that's why I'm not a biologist  :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
As a note to all, another chick has hatched and from what I could see of its fuzzy little butt, looks fine. And there is still one more egg under whomever is incubating/brooding - sorry, don't know the markers to tell Hope from Terzo.  If I had to guess though, I think it is Hope by the size. 

It is raining in Pittsburgh but everyone is well out of the wet.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
That being said, she killed the newborn right in front of her other offspring - is the other one too young to have that imprinted on him/her?  or will he/she grow up thinking it's 'normal' to kill one of my kids to feed to the other? 

At this stage the chicks' eyes aren't even open so no worries there.

And Terzo may not be that invested in these kids as they aren't his, we've had similar situations here and the new male doesn't hurt the kids but he doesn't feed them or go out of his way to help other than to feed the female and baby sit when he has to.  So if he doesn't step up on the feeding - is she going to kill more kids to feed one?  I don't know,l know it's nature but I'm not watching that...too hard for me. 

The peregrines can't tell if they are "their" chicks or not and it really doesn't play into their maternal/paternal care.  Remember, recovery projects relied on the fact that you can add/move chicks from nest to nest and the adults don't change their behaviour toward them.  T-Rex when he was less than a year old would feed chicks in a hackbox before they were released and then later after a couple of nests of his own, he took over four eggs belonging to his father.  This year it may be that Faith's eggs are not Ty's - the timing is so very tight and she was involved with Hart even after Ty returned.  Parenting for peregrines is hardwired and hormonal.  Hardwired to respond to cues from mates and chicks.  Hormonal to stick to a territory, a mate and eggs/chicks whether they are theirs or not.  Does this always apply? It appears to if both adults are at about the same point in the hormonal cycle.  However, if a resident male were killed, the interloper male's cycle isn't in sync with a female who is incubating or brooding and male neglect can result or the hardwiring can jumpstart the hormonal or bridge the gap so to speak and the male gets "better" as time goes along.

There are always outliers with any behaviour but they don't define species behaviour, they are just what they are, outliers who's actions (which is different from behaviour) are predictable only to them.  Madame was an outlier, she didn't migrate.  Why didn't she migrate?  Don't know.  None of her offspring or her grand-offspring (more than 3/4 of all chicks produced in this province are related to her) have shown any inclination.  The only other bird with a (relatively) short migration is not related to her at all.  The rest of them migrate pretty much everywhere - east through Florida and west into/through Mexico.  Remember Doorly?  Know one could figure out why he destroyed the eggs in his first few nests.  They were just about to remove him when one of his chicks managed to hatch.  After that, all was great.  His destruction of the eggs was his outlier action but turns out his parenting behaviour after that first successful hatch was pretty much textbook.  So was the destruction really an outlier or did he know something we didn't even in the egg?  (As I recall, they never did report if the eggs were viable or not - Hope & Doorly were half-sibs).

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
I don't know Bev, she may not be crazy but her years on the bridge may have affected how she raises young.

If you read the paper, this has been observed in other nests but there were extreme conditions.  Could the fact that she kept losing mates and had to raise offspring on her own have affected her?  Maybe she doesn't trust that Terzo will stick around after all E2 vanished as well. 

That being said, she killed the newborn right in front of her other offspring - is the other one too young to have that imprinted on him/her?  or will he/she grow up thinking it's 'normal' to kill one of my kids to feed to the other? 

It's one thing to leave the weakest to die naturally, seen that several times but to outright kill it the way she did..she just seemed so deliberate...

And Terzo may not be that invested in these kids as they aren't his, we've had similar situations here and the new male doesn't hurt the kids but he doesn't feed them or go out of his way to help other than to feed the female and baby sit when he has to.  So if he doesn't step up on the feeding - is she going to kill more kids to feed one?  I don't know,l know it's nature but I'm not watching that...too hard for me.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Some one posted a link to a paper on Kate's blog that discusses
Brood Reduction by Infanticide in Peregrine Falcons, well worth a read and a keeper for future reference.

http://pubs.aina.ucalgary.ca/arctic/Arctic66-2-226.pdf

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2016, 19:20 »
I thought same TPC

a lot are harsh on her, but every falcons behaves differently , and I do believer chick would not have made it. I like Hope :-*and she has had a rough time.

I was watching the hatch.

I was also  wondering if because incubation was on and off so much, that they stuck to egg shell, and she was trying to get of off shell. we knwo they have to be turned often.

she and Terzo have a good relationship so sh e is not crazy. sometimes we are just not prepped for all that nature presents

this year has been one of strange events.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 19:23 by bev. »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2016, 14:40 »
Makes me wonder if something was wrong with the chick ... saw the video and she was pretty deliberate.  Since one chick had already hatched and she is quite maternal with it, it seems odd that she should behave so differently with the second chick.  Couldn't get a good look at the chick but Jules who was hyper protective of her kids, had a chick with deformities, she just tucked her healthy chick under her (that was Polo) and sat watching her only other chick six inches away from her as it lay drying out in the sun.  I got a look at the chick and it wouldn't have made it and she knew that right from hatch and was able to make that decision right at the point of hatching.  She let it die quickly in the warm afternoon sun and then (as I recall) removed it from the nestbox in the middle of the night.

I believe your thoughts are correct TPC.

Also, thank you for the warning message.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2016, 14:36 »
Number two is hatching now!   ;D :-*

Apparently she killed it and fed it to the first one.   :'( :'(  I didn't personally see it so we'll see what happened when the site admin posts later on today.  Let's hope the third one they say is hatching now survives.

Oh Geez!  :(

How terribly sad to read about the 2nd hatch. :'(

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2016, 07:33 »
Update from Kate this morning:

Yesterday morning we were excited that the first peregrine egg hatched at Pitt and looked forward to a second hatching later in the day.

At around 2:15pm the second egg hatched. Hope manipulated it, killed it, and fed it to the first chick.

This is not normal peregrine behavior.

Viewers were shocked and bewildered.  Many of you had questions but I was out of cell range for most of the day, unaware that it happened.

I have never seen this behavior before and don’t know why it occurred.  Here’s what we do know: Peregrines’ lives are very different from ours. Using our human yardstick to understand them — anthropomorphizing — really leads us astray.

I asked Art McMorris, the PA Game Commission’s Peregrine Coordinator, who viewed the archived footage and said the chick was alive but might not have been normal.  In all his years of dealing with peregrines, Art has never seen this before either.

Hope’s behavior was so unusual that there is no information on it.  Many of you speculated about it and asked “Is this why she did it?”  In almost every case my answer is “I don’t know.”

http://www.birdsoutsidemywindow.org/2016/04/30/bewildering-birth-and-death/?platform=hootsuite

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2016, 04:36 »
I prefer not to watch.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2016, 20:11 »

WARNING:  The April 29TH video of the 2nd chick hatching & dying is graphic and may disturb more than a few members.

(the quality of the image in a way makes it even more disturbing)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2016, 20:07 »
Makes me wonder if something was wrong with the chick ... saw the video and she was pretty deliberate.  Since one chick had already hatched and she is quite maternal with it, it seems odd that she should behave so differently with the second chick.  Couldn't get a good look at the chick but Jules who was hyper protective of her kids, had a chick with deformities, she just tucked her healthy chick under her (that was Polo) and sat watching her only other chick six inches away from her as it lay drying out in the sun.  I got a look at the chick and it wouldn't have made it and she knew that right from hatch and was able to make that decision right at the point of hatching.  She let it die quickly in the warm afternoon sun and then (as I recall) removed it from the nestbox in the middle of the night.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2016, 19:09 »

Apparently she killed it and fed it to the first one.   :'( :'(  I didn't personally see it so we'll see what happened when the site admin posts later on today.  Let's hope the third one they say is hatching now survives.

Oh Geez!  :(

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2016, 16:52 »

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 18:12 by carly »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2016, 12:55 »
Number two is hatching now!   ;D :-*

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2016, 21:18 »
I saw Terzo take his turn incubating on at least two different occasions today:

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2016, 17:09 »
There is a fourth egg this afternoon.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2016, 16:19 »
That is a beautiful male ... love his white breast - doesn't look like there is a single speckle on it!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2016, 12:34 »
The new male has now been given a name. From Kate St. John's blog:

In Pittsburgh, the tradition for naming a newly arrived adult peregrine is this:

The primary nest monitor names the bird for his/her own convenience using these two rules. If the peregrine was named at banding that name is preferred. Otherwise the primary monitor names the bird.

N29 did not receive a name on Banding Day so it was my job to decide what to call him.  After many hours of deliberation and repeated consultations with my fellow peregrine monitor, Karen Lang, …

the third male peregrine to nest at the Cathedral of Learning has a name:  Terzo.

Terzo means “third” in Italian.

p.s. In Italian it’s pronounced Tare-tzo. It rhymes with “scherzo.”

The new male is very handsome. I think this is a good name for him. First Erie, then E2 (originally meant to be a temporary nickname, denoting Erie 2), and now the third male, Terzo.

Photo from the blog.

http://www.birdsoutsidemywindow.org/2016/03/29/his-name-is-terzo/

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2016, 09:41 »
Got this report through a group of banders I chat with ...

The mystery new male PEFA at the nest in Pittsburgh (on the Cathedral of Learning on the Pitt campus) was banded as a nestling in Cincinnati in 2013.  He appeared on the scene on March 23, and his bands were read on the nest cam two days later.  It will be very interesting to see what happens from here.  The female is still sitting on three eggs from her previous mate, who was killed on March 16.

His coloured band is black/red, N over 29.  Not in the Midwest database so they had to chat with the banding lab and put the call out to peregrine banders.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2016, 01:12 »
Dorothy's long-time mate E2 and Hope settled in, and on March 13 Hope laid her first egg. She laid the second egg on March 15, and a third egg on March 17.

But on March 16, there was terrible news. E2 was found dead. From Kate St. John's blog:

Yesterday afternoon, March 16, a woman in the Friendship neighborhood of Pittsburgh found a dead peregrine falcon face down in her backyard.  Because he was banded we learned he was E2.

E2 hatched at the Gulf Tower in 2005, the son of Louie and Tasha. He arrived at Pitt in November 2007 after his predecessor Erie had disappeared.  He was 11 years old.

Last seen on the Cathedral of Learning falconcam at 12:37pm on Tuesday, March 15, E2 died less than a mile and a half from home.  He had a broken right wing and leg and blood in his mouth.  We don’t know what happened but it appears he was hit broadside. (*)

When E2 last visited the nest there was only one egg.  Hope laid her second egg 4.5 hours later.  Though she sometimes sits on the eggs, she may have not begun true incubation.

At this point in the nesting cycle — egg laying — E2 brought food to her every day, mated with her, and cached food on the cliff.  His custom was to visit each egg after it was laid.  He did not visit the second egg.

By now Hope has figured out that he won’t be coming home.

Hope will begin to hunt for herself again.  For a while, she’ll protect the eggs but not incubate them.  Eventually she’ll advertise for a mate by circling above the Cathedral of Learning.  If a new mate arrives in the next few weeks, the pair will bond and she will lay a new clutch two weeks later.

http://www.birdsoutsidemywindow.org/2016/03/17/e2-found-dead-in-friendship/

Hope has been doing a fair amount of incubating. At the moment, she is on the eggs for the night and is asleep.

There has been no indication that there is a new male around. With massive injuries to his right side, and internal injuries, I believe it is most likely that E2 was hit by a vehicle. Poor little guy; it is so sad to lose him in this way, and even more so with Hope in the middle of egg laying.

E2 was always a wonderful mate for Dorothy, loyal, faithful and completely supportive. He was a great tiercel.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2016 / Terzo & Hope
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2016, 00:50 »
2016 NESTING SEASON

On November 30 of last year, the great matriarch Dorothy was displaced by another falcon. The new female is Hope, from the Tarentum Bridge nest. She is banded black/green 69/Z, and was born at the Benjamin Harrison Bridge in Hopewell, Virginia in 2008. Since she is from Virginia, she has a green federal band on her right leg.

I don't know whether or not Dorothy survived, and as far as I know no searches were done to see if she might be injured somewhere in the vicinity.

An article on Dorothy at the time she went missing:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2015/12/04/Peregrine-falcon-Dorothy-missing-from-eyrie-at-Cathedral-of-Learning/stories/201512040312

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of this beautiful little peregrine falcon, Silver. :'(

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Heartbreaking news this afternoon. We have lost Dorothy's beautiful little son, Silver. He had been in rehab at the Animal Rescue League. He was not injured, but was thought to have other problems. It is too long, and too sad, a story to go into at the moment.

From the Animal Rescue League:

Peregrine Update: It is with heavy hearts that we must share the news of the passing of the Peregrine Falcon we accepted from the Cathedral of Learning. After weeks with little change to its status, the bird experienced a sudden drop in weight - despite routine hand feedings & daily weight monitoring. After discovering signs of a respiratory illness on Saturday morning, a staff member rushed the falcon to an emergency clinic in Cleveland to see avian specialist Dr. Jamie Lindstrom. Dr. Lindstrom is renowned for his knowledge & experience with wild birds, having authored numerous academic articles & speeches, as well as serving in leadership roles in several avian organizations. While receiving top-notch care at the hospital, the falcon passed away. Dr. Lindstrom felt strongly that the illness was linked to the animal being developmentally delayed, immunosuppressed, & a failure to thrive & diagnosed him with a chronic pulmonary obstructive disease. Unfortunately, there was nothing further that any of the doctors could do. The staff of the Animal Rescue League thank you for your support & well wishes throughout this process. May the Peregrine's spirit fly, free of the burdens that plagued him during his short life.

Silver . . . so very beautiful . . .

I know that Silver had unlimited courage, beauty and spirit and was such a little fighter. He tried his hardest to survive. His parents, especially his Mom, Dorothy, gave him the greatest devotion and dedication anyone possibly could, every minute of every day.

He touched so many lives in his far too short life, and he will never be forgotten.  :'( :'( :'(

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
This is great news, Alison. That is one very cute chick. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
One very special little chick:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Dorothy laid a total of four eggs, and she and E2 incubated the eggs faithfully.

On May 10, the first chick hatched, confounding all the experts who had been trying to write Dorothy off for the last couple of years. I think there is still one chick, but have not had a good look at the chick today so far.

I hope everything continues to go well for this great pair and their chick.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2015 / E2 & Dorothy
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2015, 23:26 »
Today, Dorothy laid her third egg. The best part is that Dorothy, now sixteen years old, looks good. She looks healthy again, and her plumage is in good condition.

E2 on the eggs; he is noticeably smaller than Dorothy.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2015 / E2 & Dorothy
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2015, 23:21 »
2015 NESTING SEASON

Dorothy, the long-time resident female at this nest, was born at the Firstar Center in Milwaukee in 1999. She and her mate, E2, from the Gulf Tower nest in Pittsburgh, nest at the Cathedral of Learning in Pittsburgh.

Last year, Dorothy was able to lay her first egg. She became eggbound with her second egg, a life-threatening condition. She was finally able to pass the egg in pieces. She laid no more eggs, and continued to look unwell.

After what she had been through last year, and another very long and harsh winter, she was thought to be beyond her reproductive years. Even Kate St. John, who is very knowledgeable about peregrines, wrote her off in her blog some time ago.

But Dorothy had other ideas.

On April 2, she laid an egg!

On April 5, she laid a second egg:

http://aviary.org/PF-NestCam1

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2013 / E2 & Dorothy
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2013, 12:12 »
2013 NESTING SEASON

Dorothy has laid her first egg. :)

If you can't see on the web cam, have a look at pics on Kate' blog.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:14 by Cooper »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2012 / E2 & Dorothy
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2012, 21:01 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

3 eggs at this nestsite this year...

March 20 - 1st egg
March 22 - 2nd egg
March 24 - 3rd egg

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2011 / E2 & Dorothy
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2011, 21:05 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

Egg #1:  3/13
Egg #2:  3/15
Egg #3:  3/18

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Still on the edge of the box yesterday, but disappearing around the corner from time to time.

One chick took a closer look at the cam:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Five chicks lined up; they are not yet quite ready to fledge, but they think they are:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Beautiful wings:

A quick meal:

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
I think you are right on that TPC..I saw some new photos on CMNH and holy cow she had wings spread full out in front of the chicks to protect them...gees she looks impressive!!

Scroll down to the bottom to see Dorothy in all her glory!   She is fierce!

http://www.falconcam-cmnh.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?48735.60

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
That is a very satisfying explanation.  Thanks, TPC!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
One of the commentors mentioned that perhaps Dorothy allows herself to be caught now so she can go with the chicks!  They give her a health check too and at least she can see the chicks while poor dad stays outside and worries..poor dad  :-*

Dorothy gets caught because she's trying to protect her chicks.  Her instinct for preservation wouldn't put her anywhere that net if she wasn't trying to protect her chicks.  Don't let anthropomorphizing comments fool you, she doesn't want to go anywhere with humans, and being with the chicks while they are being banded is more stressful than Dad not knowing where everyone is.  The fact that she gets caught more than once would indicate to me that she is a fearless mom who is not going to let anyone take her chicks without her attempting to do great bodily harm to them ... given a choice, that's the kind of mom to have - if her chicks have even some of that ferocity, they could do very well in the future ...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 15:04 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
What a crew to feed ;D  Love their multi colors too.  Still very fluffy and cute. 

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
With five chicks, and the wingersizing, it is good that they are in a big nest box!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Looks like they are practicing their "wingersizing" in one of the above photos. :D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Then a parent came in with food. With five chicks to feed, the parents don't seem to be keeping much of the food for themselves - the chicks are bigger than they are!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
The chicks are getting restless:

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
They caught her in a 'net'.  

Oh... I guess it was to allow them to retrieve the chicks for banding, without getting seriously attacked! :P But I'm surprised that they take her inside with the chicks. Anyway, she sure is one beautiful looking peregrine and it sounds like she has some great genes! :D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Dorothy is a remarkable peregrine - and a real beauty.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Still brave though, Dorothy is quite a formidable falcon.  Read the article on Matriarch...she's a mother, a grandmother and a great grandmother - all at the same time!!

http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/2010/05/17/matriarch/

Beauty, who displaced Mariah in Rochester is a daughter of hers and she just had 2 hatches so grandma again!  She's quite prolific and here she's just had 5 eyases herself!  Now that's a grand dame  :-* 8)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Oh, that is different, to think Mama would prefer being caught to be with her chicks!
Thanks for that link, Carly.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
NO the main article says this is not the first they've done this to Dorothy.  It's to keep her from attacking them..full article here:

http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/2010/05/18/three-boys-and-two-girls/

Read through the comments below where Kate mentions it again.  One of the commentators mentioned that perhaps Dorothy allows herself to be caught now so she can go with the chicks!  They give her a health check too and at least she can see the chicks while poor dad stays outside and worries..poor dad  :-*

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
We had that discussion about the mom being held in that other series of band photos (sorry, don't remember where) and maybe this was their method of getting mom out of the nest?  Would they be trying to put a transmitter on Dorothy?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
I read that and can't believe they 'net' Dorothy..wow!  
What do you mean, "they 'net' Dorothy", carly? ???

They caught her in a 'net'.  Photo here:

http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/pitt_Dcaptured_2010-05-18.jpg

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
What do you mean, "they 'net' Dorothy", carly? ???

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Dorothy and E2's five chicks today:

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Thanks for the video link. Peregrine chicks are so pretty.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
The Cathedral of Learning Chicks were banded this morning.

The article includes a short video on the banding:  http://kdka.com/pets/peregrine.falcons.banding.2.1700912.html

One of the chicks:

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
Re: PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2010 / E2 & Dorothy
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 19:26 »
Mom/Dad was there feeding them.....food gone in no time..........still hungry by the sounds of them.  Quite a chorus at the table!! :o

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 19:15 »
Cute little chick pile with poop shots to boot!!!! ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 12:30 »
Yes! A very full house, for sure! :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 07:07 »
Egg #5 hatched over night, it's a really full house here  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 17:16 »
Hoo! 
I definitely didn't know what a brood patch was, and the sight was just amazing. 
So that is why there is always that shuggle over the eggs as they settle!
Thanks, Carly.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 14:47 »
If anyone wants to see what a brood patch looks like close up - Kate St John (whose blog I love as she covers alot of anatomy!) has a good photo up of a little kestrel and you can clearly see the brood patch as they've moved the feathers away for a close look.  

http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/

Kinderchick:  This might be a good one to share with the chicklets?  It's very cute, nothing that would traumatize the wee ones  :-*

Thank you for this, carly!  :D Yes! I will show it to the 'chicklets next week. Very interesting! I, myself, did not know what a "brood patch" is! I actually thought it was a whole "patch/bunch" of chicks, as in cabbages that grow in a cabbage patch! ::)

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 10:13 »
Great sight! thank you, Carly.

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 09:31 »
Thanks Carly.  It was great to see what is often referred to in our forum as "the brood patch".  Very good article with picture.  Not only the "kinderchicklets" will be happy to see this........I sure did! :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 06:50 »
4 of 5 have hatched so far  :-* :-* :-* :-*  

If anyone wants to see what a brood patch looks like close up - Kate St John (whose blog I love as she covers alot of anatomy!) has a good photo up of a little kestrel and you can clearly see the brood patch as they've moved the feathers away for a close look.  

http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/

Kinderchick:  This might be a good one to share with the chicklets?  It's very cute, nothing that would traumatize the wee ones  :-*
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 06:53 by carly »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 15:07 »
Here's another link to the cam if folks are looking ... and you should check out the rest of their site ...

National Aviary's U of Pittsburgh Cathedral of Learning Falcon Cam
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 18:08 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 09:49 »
5 eggs???  Holy!  :o

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Wow..9 year old Dorothy has laid her 5th egg!!  First time she's laid 5!

http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/2010/03/22/dorothy-surprised-me/

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Dorothy and E2 already have three eggs!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 18:55 »
A falcon in the snow:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2010 / E2 & Dorothy
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 21:02 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

Cathedral of Learning

Dorothy spent some time at the nest box today, looking very interested. She is the mother of Beauty in Rochester.

http://www.wildearth.tv/static/wildearth/channels/we_peregrine_tower.html

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2009 / E2 & Dorothy
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 05:07 »
We know it happens but it's always sad to hear of it especially after you watch them grow up and you are so full of hope for them  :'( :'(

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 20:26 »
More information from Kate St. John's blog on October 16:

Sad news.

Yesterday the body of a young female peregrine born at the University of Pittsburgh this spring was found on the roof of Webster Hall. The green tape on her USFW band indicated she was the same bird who’s eating in this picture taken by Kimberly Thomas on June 9.

Of the four peregrines hatched at Pitt this spring, she was the smallest female and the one who stayed closest to home. She visited the nest box on June 29 long after her siblings had stopped goping there.

When she was found she’d been dead for a while; her body had dried out. The maintenance man at Webster Hall thought she may have died of carbon monoxide poisoning because he often saw her perched on a rooftop smokestack. Alas, she chose a bad place to hang out.

Unfortunately she’s not the only juvenile peregrine from the Pittsburgh area to die this fall. August 30 when he struck an airplane at Pittsburgh International Airport. He was probably huntingIn early September I learned that one of the three young peregrines born at the Monaca bridge died on the smaller birds attracted to the open area near the runways.

Research tells us that more than 60% of young peregrines die in their first year – many of them before they leave home – but it’s always sad to learn the details.

Photo by Kimberly Thomas.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 21:22 »
Some very bad news from Karen in Pittsburgh:  :'(

Just got some bad news. It seems that one of young from this year was found dead atop one of Pitt's buildings, maintenance found it and said it looked like it was dead for sometime. They think that where it perched it could have died from carbon monoxide. The terrible part is you know Dorothy & E2 knew it was dead. Hopefully the other 3 are ok.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 16:31 »
Dorothy or E2 visited the nest for a few minutes today (Dorothy is the mother of Beauty at Rochester).

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
PA / Pittsburgh - Cathedral of Learning - 2009-22
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 21:34 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

Dorothy and E2 were strengthening their pair bond at the Cathedral of Learning nest today: