Author Topic: Saskatchewan / Regina - City Hall - 2009-2013 / ? & ?  (Read 14894 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: City Hall - 2013 / site inactive?
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2013, 22:24 »
I'll follow up in the spring to see if anything is going on with hopes I can actually get out there.
One falcon is better than no falcon....here's hoping and praying!
Until next season!   ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2013, 11:36 »
My last conversation with the Saskatchewan folks Allikat was that there was a bird but nothing nesting.  Which could indeed be a very good sign for you (and Regina) next year.  If I hear more details, will be sure to post them here.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2013, 22:46 »
Well folks, wish I had more to report, but, I did not had any time to get out and look at one of my favorite raptors.... :(
I know they were here (thanks to Ms. Dolittle), but, don't know what transpired, if they nested, had little white fluff balls, or.....?  
Sorry...just too busy at work.  Wish I could have gone out more, but just couldn't.  
Hopefully next year, I'll be able to swing by the downtown area, and provide the good ol' falcon folk some good news!
Until next season!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 22:52 by allikat »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Saskatchewan / Regina - City Hall - 2013 / ? & ?
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2013, 22:54 »
2013 NESTING SEASON

Well, I went downtown for a bit today, and of course, saw nothing.   ::)
Unfortunately it was pouring rain so, don't blame the birds...if, that's IF they are here, they would be staying out of the rain!
Again, perfect timing for this girl - to see nothin'!   :-\

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: City Hall - 2012 / ? & ?
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2013, 19:38 »
Thanks Pam...Falcons in Regina would be a wonderful thing!

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2013, 21:10 »
Good luck, Allie!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2013, 19:34 »
Well...was downtown on Friday, looked around with hope and wonder...nothing yet folks, but, I will keep looking up until my neck hurts!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 19:35 by allikat »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2012, 18:53 »
Remember me writing that there isn't much going on in the Peregrine world in Regina...this is all I get for a link:

http://falcon.unibase.com/

One, and hopefully others, can only hope... :-\

« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 18:54 by allikat »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2012, 21:59 »
Hopefully next year, I'll have more time, (hmm, heard that before), to partake in pre-peregrine activities, (and post)!  
Would love to be in contact with someone here that knows, or has access, or has something to do with these evasive birds.  
Kinda wondering if the nestbox is in an ideal location, or if it's even adequate for the birds needs/requirements.  
To me, but I'm not a peregrine, City Hall is a great location for them to nest, as it's very close to food, shelter and water, as the waterfowl park is seconds away, (peregrine time).  There are so many marsh birds here as well and out of town protected areas for other food sources.  
I'm wondering if perhaps the Hawks could be a problem here for raising young as they are quite common and seen regularly?  
Until next year, time will tell if there will be a family of falcons to watch and stress over...

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2012, 20:19 »
Yesterday we were walking close to City Hall and we saw a Crow eating something in a tree.  I went closer and the Crow dropped the bird.  I looked and it looked like a good chuck of Pigeon.  Now there was a Merlin flying about but I didn't think they ate Pigeon so I wonder where the Crow got the pigeon?

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2012, 20:05 »
I hope that's the case TPC...a case of birds being unable to settle down. 
Before I made the decision to move here, while visiting, I scoped the downtown area for tall buildings side by side for the hopes of future falcons to one day, nest in Regina again. 
When I saw an article and news story that there were peregrine falcons in Regina, I nearly fainted with excitement.  Then, when I actually saw them with my own eyes, I had goose bumps.  But....then, I didn't see them anymore after awhile, hoping it was bad timing on my part.  Not having a forum or contact with others who may be actively watching, I can only try to think, that it's bad timing or, they were passing thru.  Either way, they, were here, so, to me, that's a positive sign for the possibility of having a nesting family of peregrine falcons someday in Regina.  Until that day... happy watching everyone!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2012, 23:48 »
The Saskatoon bird took a year or two to get settled I think, so maybe this is the start of something great for Regina ... and my contact did think there was still a nestbox on City Hall which could be great if these same birds return next year.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2012, 21:56 »
My apologies to all!!!   :(

I'll be honest here folks...I have gone downtown regularely, and, I haven't seen much, actually, nothing at all!  Now, that doesn't mean, there isn't anything to see... but perhaps, it's just bad timing for me!?  I'm thinking that maybe the falcons that were here were just passing thru, or, with hopes, it's just bad timing for me... oh sigh...
Until next year...with hopes of more activity!  Positive thinkin'!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2012, 21:35 »
Was passing through downtown, looking up while driving ( ::)), CAREFULLY, of course, and what did I see??...??
No, not a pigeon, not a seagull, not a crow, but, ALAS, twas a peregrine falcon!!!  Sheesh!!!   ;D

Yaaaaayyyyy!!!!!!    8) ;D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2012, 21:25 »
Was passing through downtown, looking up while driving ( ::)), CAREFULLY, of course, and what did I see??...??
No, not a pigeon, not a seagull, not a crow, but, ALAS, twas a peregrine falcon!!!  Sheesh!!!   ;D

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2012, 22:29 »
Perhaps Dennis should introduce his brother and Wowser to Allikat.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2012, 22:13 »
Well....I hope someone finds them! 

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2012, 18:59 »
My brother with his Little Wowzer has been checking this site as well...with no luck  :(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2012, 09:26 »
Thank you Allikat for keeping an eye on this site for us.  I still haven't heard back from the Sask gang so now that the return and nesting rush has past, time for me to get poke at them again for some information. 

More news when/if I get some :)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2012, 06:00 »
Too bad. It was so exciting to think that Regina might have a nesting pair. (But maybe that's why they aren't as visible?!)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2012, 23:01 »
Hello All!!!

My apologies...well, unfortunately, not much to report.  I've been downtown watching, looking up, looking down for any birdie parts as there is a wonderful park close by with lots of available, "munchies".  It's a great spot for them to nest, due to the Wascana Water Fowl Park, a short feather swoop away.  Really wish there was something available here for updates, but.....nothing!

Perhaps I'm there at the wrong times, which is quite possible, albeit, frustrating, but, I haven't seen anything that resembles a peregrine.  Doesn't mean they aren't there....maybe they just know they're being watched.  Those little buggers!!!

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2012, 17:50 »
Walked to City Hall and sat around for awhile.  We didn't really see anything except maybe a couple large birds very high up just soaring.  Could have been Peregrines but I didn't have good binoculars so can't be certain.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2012, 14:52 »
As well, it puts in perspective how darn lucky we are!

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2012, 14:51 »
That's too bad that not everyone can see the innermost working of their city's Peregrine world. Thanks for filling us in on how that works.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2012, 10:12 »
Is there an avian biologist at the University there or is there a naturalist group that can help? It would be great to know more about a pair in the Queen city.

The short answer is no.  Longer answer is that there are people who keep an eye on them but that's because they've been doing it since the program began so its sort of a habit.  In Saskatchewan the peregrine isn't on their provincial species-at-risk list like it is here, and here its really just volunteers who keep track of the darlings - if it were government run, chances are they could assign a biologist probably a couple of hours month (staff time) to oversee the program and most of that would be reporting, not the rest (webcams, photos, videos, blog, forum, etc ...) so it would be pretty much invisible ... which may be the case in Saskatchewan.  From everyone I've spoken to, the people I've been contacting are the ones to speak with.  With luck, they are just really busy with it being spring and all that ... I'm not getting responses from a couple of other sites either and I know they will get back to me when they can, so that's cause for optimism.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2012, 07:05 »
Drove by city hall today...didn't see anything.  It was gorgeous here today so perhaps the falcon(s) were basking in the sun?! 
I just wish there was some more active websites/forum to visit for updated information.  It's a tad frustrating! 

Guess all I can do is keep my head up, eyes and ears open....

I haven't heard anything at all from Sask yet Allikat, I'm sorry.  But I am still trying!
It's disappointing that there isn't as much information at ones fingertips.  The sites that have continuous updates, pictures, webcams, forums and watchers... enjoy and respect it!!!  Because, here in Regina, I don't have it!!!  Hmmm, my mind is thinking though...too bad I'm way too busy at work this season, but, perhaps, only perhaps, I could get something going in Regina for our beloved falcons?!?!?!  Wouldn't that be a treat!
Is there an avian biologist at the University there or is there a naturalist group that can help? It would be great to know more about a pair in the Queen city.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2012, 06:30 »
If you had the time it would be great Allikat.  But I believe it would take a lot of your time.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2012, 23:32 »
Drove by city hall today...didn't see anything.  It was gorgeous here today so perhaps the falcon(s) were basking in the sun?! 
I just wish there was some more active websites/forum to visit for updated information.  It's a tad frustrating! 

I haven't heard anything at all from Sask yet Allikat, I'm sorry.  But I am still trying!
It's disappointing that there isn't as much information at ones fingertips.  The sites that have continuous updates, pictures, webcams, forums and watchers... enjoy and respect it!!!  Because, here in Regina, I don't have it!!!  Hmmm, my mind is thinking though...too bad I'm way too busy at work this season, but, perhaps, only perhaps, I could get something going in Regina for our beloved falcons?!?!?!  Wouldn't that be a treat!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2012, 09:25 »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2012, 23:19 »
I do hope to provide news and as many updates as I can!  Stay tuned!!!

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2012, 10:18 »
Thanks for the information, and I am looking forward to further news on this site.  It would be great to have falcons back at City Hall, with a nest.

Offline Donna

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2012, 12:40 »
thanks for the udates Alli, would be nice if they nested, hatched one or two young, had lots of updates, but thats the way it goes.  At least we have you ! 
Donna

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2012, 21:58 »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 22:27 »
There was a nestbox, according to the very old site, but not sure anymore as there aren't any updates.  One update, however, is that again, I did see a falcon on the north side of city hall the other day.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 10:18 »
so is there supposed to be a nest on top of City Hall or has that gone? 

That was one of my questions to my SK guy.  There used to be a nestbox/nestsite (don't know the architecture) and we had a Manitoba female there for 10-ish years by the name of Stella.  She had at least one, if not two, Manitoba males over that period as well.  I really do hope I can get answers to all my questions - in part for the Forum, in part for my own records, I have very little information on Manitoba birds in Saskatchewan and would very much like to fill in the gaps.  So I'm still working on it  :)

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 10:13 »
so is there supposed to be a nest on top of City Hall or has that gone?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 10:09 »
I'm afraid I haven't heard anything new from my Saskatchewan contacts so it would seem that they are waiting and watching just like Allikat and the rest of us are ....  :-\

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 21:48 »
I was downtown today running a few errands and I took more than a moment to lurk around to see if I could spot any action in the sky.....unfortunately, didn't see much of anything.  Darn raptors, can they be any more "diva"?

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2012, 17:52 »
How great is that news!  I can hardly wait to go to Regina in a couple weeks ... see a Saskatchewan Peregrine Falcon!   I'll be a few blocks from there.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2012, 09:23 »
Was downtown again today and guess what I saw??............... yep, a peregrine falcon on the North side of the City Hall building just, hangin' around.   ;D
That's great news, allikat! :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 22:04 »
Was downtown again today and guess what I saw??............... yep, a peregrine falcon on the North side of the City Hall building just, hangin' around.   ;D

I am so happy for you allikat!!   ;D 8)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 21:27 »

Way to go Allikat!  :D
Now you need to come up with a "nest in the west" kind of chant for YOUR birds!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 21:22 »

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 21:33 »
Well if you are only spotting pigeons the I'm thinking no Peregrine has set up on City Hall...just my thought  :-\

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 21:08 »
I've been going by City Hall, on purpose, to see if I can spot anything different than pigeons....no such luck!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2012, 10:18 »
Was downtown yesterday and stopped to look up and around. 
Unfortunately, I didn't see anything but pigeons.  ::)
I will be back out today!

Offline Donna

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 23:27 »
Alli
ok, take a deep breath, count to 10,  and walk slowly downtown :)   but if you see something let us know,  was kinda thinking may have to make a shopping trip to Regina this weekend :)
Donna

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 23:05 »
I'm just beside myself...I'm going to make a huge attempt to go and see what's happening in my downtown circle this weekend!  I can hear the kak kak kak kak kak right now!   ;D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 08:35 »
Okay....um!  Just a wee bit excited here!  I can't believe it!  I didn't know!  Peregrine falcons, here I come!!!

That's great news for you allikat!!  8)  I'm thinking you're going to have a new favorite spot to visit!!  ;D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 21:55 »
Okay....um!  Just a wee bit excited here!  I can't believe it!  I didn't know!  Peregrine falcons, here I come!!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 13:57 »
This is great news! Thanks for posting the news clip, Donna. :D So now I am wondering, TPC, if there have been peregrine falcons in Regina in past years and if there used to be a nestbox, why is there no longer a nestbox there? ??? Sounds as if there may be a resident pair who may really want to nest there on City Hall.

The birds have been absent for a number of years so it could be that the old nest was removed because it was just getting too old or was in a state of disrepair.  Or work might have been needed on the building and the box needed to moved/removed to do it.  Or the box is still there but the birds haven't found it or don't like it enough to use it.  Hopefully I will have more information soon.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 13:31 »
This is great news! Thanks for posting the news clip, Donna. :D So now I am wondering, TPC, if there have been peregrine falcons in Regina in past years and if there used to be a nestbox, why is there no longer a nestbox there? ??? Sounds as if there may be a resident pair who may really want to nest there on City Hall.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 11:05 »
Thanks Donna, great clip!
Have emailed my contacts in Saskatchewan, will let you all know what I hear when I hear something ...

Offline Donna

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 10:15 »

Offline Donna

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 10:04 »
Looking forward to hearing what you find out, postive or negative.  Could be a good reason to go to Regina :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 09:29 »
Hadn't heard anything about these birds - not this year or last!!!  Going to have to make a phone call ...
Thanks for this!!

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 09:04 »
My friend just moved to Regina.  His neighbour told him there were Peregrines nesting at City Hall.  I thought she was refering to the ones a few years back but maybe she is talking about this year.  I'll have to look close next time I'm there.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 08:53 »
That's really interesting. I don't remember hearing anything about them last year, but wouldn't it be great if they decided to become a permanent fixture in Regina!

Offline Donna

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
Saskatchewan / Regina - City Hall - 2012 / ? & ?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 08:44 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

Hi Tracy
This morning there was a small blurb on CBC Regina radio that there are two falcons at Regina City Hall. Also said it was the 2nd year for them. Any word on did they nest last year?  Look like they are nesting this year?  Who they are?  
Thanks
Donna

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: City Hall - 2009 / site inactive
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 12:43 »
I am going to look back in my notes and see if I can find where this person,  from Regina, said he watches the peregrines. He was specific that he watched them this year. 

I told him there was someone from Manitoba moving there and that they would like to find out where.
i was so busy at the time. but I will check it out.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 11:03 »
Hey..what about Chinook?  Anything on Chinook? :D

Haven't heard any news, but thanks for asking ...  ;)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 22:54 »
When I was last talking to my contacts there weren't any this year ... but that was a while ago ...

There were breeding pairs for many years, many years ago, more than a couple from Manitoba too.  Now that our birds are starting to spread out more and more, who knows, next spring could see a Manitoba bird (Mistral or one of Holly's and Zeus' kids perhaps) keeping Allikat company in Regina ...
Hey..what about Chinook?  Anything on Chinook? :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 22:41 »
When I was last talking to my contacts there weren't any this year ... but that was a while ago ...

There were breeding pairs for many years, many years ago, more than a couple from Manitoba too.  Now that our birds are starting to spread out more and more, who knows, next spring could see a Manitoba bird (Mistral or one of Holly's and Zeus' kids perhaps) keeping Allikat company in Regina ...

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 18:37 »
So Allikat, contact Bev and see if she can try find out who was there that knows about falcons in Regina. There is always internet searches too and of course you got a few months to do this but would be interesting to get some background info and see what's been happening. 8) 8) 8)
I hope this info is right, it is exciting 8)
Oh I know...it is soooo excited.  Do I get to leap tall buildings with a single bound? Oh  :-X, nope only Spiderman can do that...or another Tupper!  ::)
It just won't be the same without certain people around I'm afraid...one example:  "Blah, blah, blah, blah, and another blah."
The other, people who have touched my heart and will forever be there...those two women know who they are!
(psssttt, I licked the fork  ::))

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 18:19 »
So Allikat, contact Bev and see if she can try find out who was there that knows about falcons in Regina. There is always internet searches too and of course you got a few months to do this but would be interesting to get some background info and see what's been happening. 8) 8) 8)
I hope this info is right, it is exciting 8)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 18:13 »
it'll get moved here....no worries  :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 17:49 »
Go back and modify if you can Linderlou - looks like you forgot the brackets around the first 'quote' before Bev's name up there ...[/quote]

Or not...it's no biggie  ;)

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 17:45 »
Yuk, my quote thing didn't work out. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 17:21 »
This is off topic. But who is moving to Regina again.
I was talking to someone during the fledge and there are peregrines in Regina. They follow them. This person was from Regina.
I cannot remember where exactly but I am sure you can find out :) :)
Allikat you should check this out, you could get this going in Regina :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 22:37 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 23:25 »
'Fraid no Regina birds for I think almost 10 years, but we are trying to get more of our birds out there!!
whatever I can do to help with that... :D

When I was in Regina..I was scoping out the tall buildings to see if this would in fact be a wonderful home for peregrines.  It just might be...high buildings (not a lot but some), lots of green space around for hunting and water nearby. 
What can I say....I'm addicted!  Hi, my name is allikat, and I AM a peregrine falcon phanatic!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 23:12 »
'Fraid no Regina birds for I think almost 10 years, but we are trying to get more of our birds out there!!
whatever I can do to help with that... :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 23:10 »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Saskatchewan / Regina - City Hall - 2009-2013 / ? & ?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 23:09 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

Well..this would be great news for me!!!!  It's all about me  ;)

Actually hoping more into the Regina region...but hey Saskatoon is close!  ::)