Author Topic: WI / Pardeeville - 2008-10  (Read 3856 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Pardeeville - 2010 / Hippie & ?
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 13:50 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

For those of you who missed this site last year, they did it again.  7 eggs, 6 hatched

Adult Female: Unbanded
Adult Male: “Hippie” (b/g) 02/N, produced in 2003 at the Monticello Power Plant in Monticello, MN - likely the same male here since 2006.

Laid 7 eggs by April 27th, hatched 6 between May 26th and June 1st - three females and three males.
Don't have any information on how they did at fledging - sorry!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Pardeeville - 2009 / Hippie & ?
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 14:27 »
He is regaining the peregrine personality now so we know he is feeling better.

Nice euthemism, translated, "snotty attitudinal little berd" ... yes, "berd", when you are peeling talons from your hand yet again and your teeth are clenched, its "berd"  ;)

Link to 2009 banding on Wisconsin Public Television - includes interview ... http://wpt2.org/npa/IW802peregrinebanding.cfm

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 21:43 »
I believe that this update from REGI refers to Larry from Pardeeville, since as far as I can determine, he is the only peregrine being treated at REGI. He had surgery on an eyelid on November 30:
A young Peregrine Falcon had surgery today on his eyelid. He came out of anesthesia well and is happily eating a gopher tonight. More on him tomorrow.

And from December 5:
The Peregrine Falcon is improving. He was injured in August near Poynette and recently developed complications with his nictitating membranes of his left eye not closing well. The surgery of the other day will resolve the problem. He is regaining the peregrine personality now so we know he is feeling better.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 21:53 »
Sounds positive Alison...thanks for the update.  Come on Larry!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 20:06 »
An update on the juvie from Pardeeville on the blog site:

The young Peregrine Falcon is also making progress. I do not have a photo to publish but he is sitting on a perch now rather and is on his way to what we hope is a full recovery. He did have some problems with his right eye a few days after he came in, but that has cleared up. He is still not excited to eat on his own, but it getting the idea that if he does not we force feed him and that is not his favorite activity.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 08:45 »
8 eggs!!!  Holy  :o  That surely must be a record?  I hope Larry is okay too!  He sure is cute!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 23:41 »
Still haven't heard anything about last year's juvies, but this year the falcons laid eight eggs!

Four eggs hatched, and three male chicks were banded: Larry, band black/red 88/A; Moe, band black/red 89/A; and Curly, band black/red, 40/D.

Larry is currently in rehab after being found injured on the ground. He has a fractured right leg and fractured right wing. He is doing quite well so far.

The eight eggs  .... three chicks

Larry in rehab. I hope he makes a full recovery and can be released.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 00:26 »
Is there any word on the outcome of this nest from last year?

I haven't seen any updates so far. Perhaps when this year's annual report comes out, there will be some news.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Pardeeville - 2009 / Hippie & ?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 22:21 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

Is there any word on the outcome of this nest from last year?

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
WI / Pardeeville - 2008-10
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 21:40 »
2008 NESTING SEASON

I would be surprised if all six hatched, it would pretty much be a record I think ... And Donna is a first year female so not unusual for her to have fewer young, look at Radisson in Edmonton, only one chick this year, and I believe they are the same age.

I think the reason they haven't advertised the nest is that it is exceedingly inaccessible, you haven't had a pair for a number of years, its a new female and she laid late in the game, all/any of which could mean no successful nesting this year ...

I will certainly post an update about anything I hear !!

I'd be very interested in any updates about this nest, and whether all six eggs hatched. I don't know if that would be a record, but here is one possible candidate for the record. At the Alliant Plant this year in Pardeeville, Wisconsin, the female laid seven eggs, and six hatched. Six chicks were banded. The adult female at this site is unbanded, the male is banded black/green, ?/N.

Here is a photo of the six chicks. Photo by Greg Septon.