Author Topic: ON / Etobicoke - Bloor & Islington / 2008-21  (Read 64569 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Etobicoke - Sun-Life - 2011 / Jack & Angel
« Reply #499 on: May 07, 2011, 08:27 »
TR female (Jack's other wife) also seems to only have 2 eggs this year instead of her usual 3 or 4 so we'll see what happens.  

Do you think that's because Jack was spreading himself too thin, running (flying) back & forth btw his 2 wives, carly? :-\

Milton has also been located at a new nest in Brampton with a female from Ohio named Truss so that's good news if they can find somewhere decent to nest on that building.
That's great news about Milton. :) I do hope they are able to find a good place to nest.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #498 on: May 07, 2011, 06:44 »
Well nothing to report here. Still no hatch despite incubation having seemed to start the same time as Rhea Mae who has already hatched out all 4 of her eggs this week.  Only thing I can think is that Angel started warming the eggs as she laid them due to the unseasonably cold weather we've had as you can usually set your clock to her and predict when the eggs will hatch - so maybe she's a week behind RM .  So the wait continues...

TR female (Jack's other wife) also seems to only have 2 eggs this year instead of her usual 3 or 4 so we'll see what happens.  Milton has also been located at a new nest in Brampton with a female from Ohio named Truss so that's good news if they can find somewhere decent to nest on that building.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #497 on: April 11, 2011, 19:49 »
Thanks for reports Carly :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #496 on: April 05, 2011, 16:25 »
Incubation has started at my site..meant to update that earlier.  From what I could see - it started on Sunday but I waited until I saw an actual 'shift change' - which I did late yesterday afternoon to be sure.  

I'll start the count from Sunday as I have to rely on behaviour to determine a hatch again this year and only those two know if she was at 3 eggs on Sunday or 4...but she has in the past started incubating at 3.  Given the change to below zero temperatures overnight, she has no choice now regardless.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #495 on: March 29, 2011, 18:21 »
Update @ 1:50 pm:  More food and another mating session.  I checked last years notes and when this much activity happened all day last year as it has today, she was in full incubation a few days later!

That's great news carly!  8)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #494 on: March 29, 2011, 13:04 »
Something is Going On Up there!!
March 29, 2011 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre

Kathy Reports:
Angel has been inside the nestbox - I could see her head and she has been alternating between standing and laying down - all morning.   When she stands up in the box, I can see her head over the side of the nestbox ledge with my binoculars.  Jack has been standing guard on the cam keeping his eye on the window washer who is on the second building over from us.

Earlier this morning when I arrived, he was already on the cam and she was in the nestbox.  She has only left twice, when he brought her food.  She took it to the mating corner and he immediately stood by the nestbox until it was time.  Two lengthy mating sessions were observed, after which- both times she immediately returned to the nestbox.  He continues to stand on the cam watching over her while keeping one eye on the poor window washer.

There is no way at this time to confirm the presence of eggs however all activity and behaviour is pointing to it - things are on track at least!

Update @ 1:50 pm:  More food and another mating session.  I checked last years notes and when this much activity happened all day last year as it has today, she was in full incubation a few days later!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #493 on: March 29, 2011, 13:03 »
Still sitting and waiting..
March 28, 2011 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre

Kathy Reports:
More of the same today with Angel, just sitting by the nestbox on the ledge and waiting..  There was some excitement that was reported to me after lunch that involved Angel screaming her head off from the ledge and Jack chasing someone out of the territory..by the time I was able to get outside and take a look, all was calm.  When I left Angel was..you guessed it..sitting by the nestbox and Jack was on the next ledge over watching the window washers set up for tomorrow.  So the next week will have workmen right next to them - if there is an egg or two up there we should see some interesting behaviour  so I guess that should give me a clue.

I told her today that Rhea Mae at the Sheraton is already 2 eggs ahead but she seems nonplussed about it all  ::)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Etobicoke - Sun-Life - 2011 / Jack & Angel
« Reply #492 on: March 29, 2011, 13:03 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

Sticking Close to Nest Box
March 25, 2011 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre

Kathy Reports:
This morning when I arrived Angel was sitting by the nestbox and then she flew over to one of the towers.  I assumed she was on her own but a few minutes later jack jumped out of the nestbox and flew off to head to his other site and Angel immediately flew back to the ledge and got into the nestbox.   I watched a few minutes and then she came back out but she’s been on the ledge right next to the nestbox every time I’ve checked for the past 4.5 hours.    She does seem a bit lethargic this morning and looks like she’s having a bad hair day on top of it all !

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Etobicoke - Sun-Life - 2010 / Jack & Angel
« Reply #491 on: September 13, 2010, 05:00 »
Thanks guys, I'm okay.  I kiind of had a 'feeling' something was up - we had some violent storms that weekend and I kept worrying about dotca up there in cottage country and for some reason I couldn't get it out of my mind but turns out if was little BB that didn't make it.  I just hope it was quick and that he didn't suffer.  

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:07 by carly »

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #490 on: September 13, 2010, 00:51 »
Oh carly I am so sorry honey,
I wish there were words to help the pain just know we are here for you

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #489 on: September 12, 2010, 17:31 »
How sad, Carly. There just seems to have been so many losses this year.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #488 on: September 12, 2010, 16:13 »
Very sad news Carly to hear of another loss. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #487 on: September 12, 2010, 16:04 »
My little blackberry didn't make it  :'(  Fly free little guy  :-*

Oh carly, I am so sorry to hear that! That is so very sad!  :'( My heart goes out to you.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #486 on: September 12, 2010, 15:56 »
Sad news, Carly.  So sorry.