Author Topic: ON / Etobicoke - Bloor & Islington / 2008-21  (Read 63464 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Ontario / Etobicoke - Bloor Islington Center - 2018 - Lucky & Darcy
« Reply #530 on: November 15, 2018, 15:09 »
Thanks Carly!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #529 on: November 12, 2018, 20:13 »
hi TPC - Well it has changed hands again in the past 2 years and has been renamed 'Bloor Islington Place' by the new owners.   I'd go with the new name as it does accurately reflect the location.  It is literally on the corner of Bloor Street and Islington Avenue. 

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #528 on: November 11, 2018, 15:28 »
Question for you Carly (and anyone else who might know) ... the peregrine folks that watch this site, do they refer to it as the Bloor Islington Centre or Sun-Life or something else?  We could go with a street address if there isn't a consensus and include a note on the name change ...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
I've been meaning to post about this site.  It was previously called the Sun Life Building but new ownership has renamed it the Bloor Islington Center.

This new management  have removed almost every bit of greenery on the property, paid for pigeons to be removed from the site and netted off any area where a small or medium sized bird would nest.  They have also embarked on massive reconstruction to utilize every single speck of space and turn it into a rental space.

Last year they started construction on the towers mid August before the offspring of O'Connor and Lucky had dispersed resulting in early dispersal and the disappearance of O'Connor.  She was never one to tolerate human presence in her space and was constantly stressed out and upset and the last time I saw her she was attacking the workmen and then suddenly - poof into thin air she vanished.

A little while later an 18 month old sub adult appeared on site - she was the grand daughter of Angel and Jack, our previous pair and we were excited to have her on site.  She seemed to tolerate the workers just fine at first and we were hopeful for a new start.

In February the workers again resumed work on the nest tower and continued right through what would have been courtship and mating in March - needless to say Aria - perhaps due to her inexperience was not comfortable with them in her face all the time.  And in fact they were on all three towers which left the falcons no place to do their business.  Then came the cold weather and the ice storm which at least drove the workers off the tower.   

In mid April we saw hopeful signs that things might be getting on track when a large female came in and displaced Aria.  This new female is the largest female we've ever had on site and in short order she laid 2 eggs.  Two weeks later one of the eggs collapsed and she consumed it.  The last egg looked like it might be good as she brought food into the nest to feed it and all signs pointed to an imminent hatch.  Then the humidex hit the mid 40's right at that time and I suspect the chick perished due to the heat - it was 44 to 46 c with the humidex so I imagine trying to peck your way out of an egg in that heat may have been too much for the little one.

So for the first time in 20 years we have a failed nest.  We'll see what next year brings but I"m not optimistic.  The entire area surrounding us is now under construction with several 35 to 45 story condos going up across the street so it will be interesting to see if this nest continues or they move on to somewhere better.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 19:30 by carly »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Finding a tiny sliver of shade (left) and an evening visit.

A visit from two juvies; Apollo (red tape, banded black/black Y/37) and Lashay (white tape, banded black/black Y/36).

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
hi Alison,

Egg 2 arrived at 6.49 pm yesterday   :-* :-*
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 19:06 by carly »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Yesterday evening, preparing to lay the second egg, and the two eggs this morning.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Congratulations to O'Connor and Lucky on their first egg today:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Ontario / Etobicoke - Sun Life Building - 2017 / Lucky & O'Connor
« Reply #522 on: March 24, 2017, 00:52 »
A gift for O'Connor:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Ontario / Etobicoke - Sun-Life Building - 2015 / Lucky & O'Connor
« Reply #521 on: April 06, 2015, 01:01 »
It seems that Jack, the resident male at this site, has been replaced by a new, young male named Lucky. Lucky was born in 2013 at the Amexon Don Mills and Eglinton site in Toronto. He is banded black/black Y/72.

Jack, now 13 years old, has had two nest sites for some years; the Sun Life nest and a second nest at a private residential site. It is not yet known if he is at his residential nest site. I hope he is, and that he is okay.

O'Connor is still the resident female at this nest, and yesterday she laid her first egg.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/Web_Cams/Etobicoke/index.htm
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 01:04 by Alison »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Four chicks have hatched, the most recent one to have hatched was May 8th.  :-*

Post by carly at BCAW http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?p=298603#p298603

Cam link - http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/Web_Cams/Etobicoke/index.htm

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
#4 hatched yesterday so Jack and O'Connor have a full house!  ;D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
#2 hatched overnight, #3 hatched this afternoon and big pip in egg #4 so he/she should be with us by morning I'm hoping.  ;D

;D :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
#2 hatched overnight, #3 hatched this afternoon and big pip in egg #4 so he/she should be with us by morning I'm hoping.  ;D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Lol..Okay real hatch this afternoon.  She was preparing me  8)

Just like her to psych you out carly!!   ;)  Yayyy about the hatch!!  :-*