Author Topic: Fargo - 2008-2011 / Dakota Ace & Miracle  (Read 16024 times)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Fargo - 2011 / Dakota Ace & Miracle
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 06:13 »
It sounds ideal, a downtown building with a top shaped like a giant nestbox. Maybe if we start fundraising now......

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2011, 23:42 »
Report from June 28th ...

This year’s only baby seems to progressing without further incident.  Following my last report, he stayed put on the roof of the Wells Fargo building for several days under the rather constant vigilance of both adults.  By Sunday evening he was flying well and had moved to the top of the BOTW building.  With only one mouth to feed the adults are not pressed.  They continue to spend most of their time watching the kid.  Assume the high risk period is now behind us.  Will report if there is a problem, but it looks good.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2011, 23:42 »
Report from June 22nd ...

By way of review, only one egg hatched, on or about May 18.  The baby (a male) was banded June 6.  Yesterday (June 21) he left the nest.  Very young for a first flight, but he survived.  Sounds like he flew into the Wells Fargo building just to the east of the nest box.  He initially came to rest on the low roof over the main entrance.  After several hours he was on the ground.  We moved him to the roof of the Wells Fargo building about 6 PM.  He looked to be his estimated age (34 days), but was healthy with no apparent injuries.   I checked early this morning and he had not gone far.  The roof is covered with gravel and is surrounded by a wall about two feet high.  Much like a very big nest tray.  Both parents are very attentive/protective.   Hopefully he will stay put for a few days before taking off again.  Time will tell.

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 10:10 »
first chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 20:07 »
From the folks in Fargo ...

Things continue to progress.  The birds are incubating.  It looks like they have four eggs.  Also, the cameras are now connected to the web and can be accessed at http://www.audubon.org/webcams/audubon-dakotas-peregrine-falcon-nest-cam.  Not sure what will happen to the original site (www.fargofalcons.net) which still has all the text.  That will be addressed.  Future goals include upgrades to the technology so we have sound and better images.  That will have to wait until the nest is again empty, but we hopefully have the hard part behind us.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 13:17 »
This site has two camera views, main view is inside of nest box and smaller picture-in-picture view is of outside the nest box.

If you check out their video called "changing of the guard 2" between the 40-47 second of the video there is a little hanky-panky going on. ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Fargo - 2011 / Dakota Ace & Miracle
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 13:33 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

The folks in Fargo tell me that they are pretty confident their resident pair for 2010 are back again at the Bank of the West site in Fargo.  No word yet whether they will have a webcam this year, but they do keep trying so who knows, 2011 might just be that year!

Just a couple of notes, Dakota Ace was hack released in 1997 (that makes him one year younger than Trey) and appeared in Fargo in 2000.  In 2001, he was paired with Goldie from Omaha Nebraska who is the daughter of Winnie and Zeus, grand-daughter of T-Rex and Burnsie and great-grand-daughter of the pair that started it all in Manitoba, Pop and Maud.  In 2002, Goldie was replaced by Frieda who held the territory until 2008 when she didn't return and was replaced by Miracle.  We have had no reports on the fate of Goldie or Frieda.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 13:40 by The Peregrine Chick »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: Fargo - 2010 / Dakota Ace & Miracle
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2010, 22:22 »
Here's the note from Friday ...

As of noon today, at least one of the young males has left the box and is on top of the BOTW building.  Couldn’t see the second male.  He may have been in the box but out of sight.  The web camera is temporarily off line so is of no assistance.  The female is notably less mature and she is still in the box.  Doubt she will leave before early next week.  Although it is time to keep our eyes open for trouble, so far everything looks good.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2010, 21:18 »
Just got an email that the Fargo chicks are fledging!

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 20:33 »
Miracle looking beautiful as ever and the little one getting around so well

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 10:52 »
Notice from the Fargo Project just a few minutes ago ...

Based on the web camera images, it appears that three of the four eggs hatched.  All of the young are doing fine.  They will be banded this morning at 11:00, so we will know more soon.  Not sure what notice has been distributed regarding the banding (I have been mostly out of town in recent days).  In any event, it will occur at the Bank of the West and is open to the public (just like previous years).

The problems with web camera access continue.  We may have a solution, but the installation of the necessary hardware has not been completed.  

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2010, 13:34 »
Miracle watching over and now feeding

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2010, 18:46 »
At least three chicks are visible at this nest. If this is Miracle, she is a beauty:

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 23:06 »
Is that 3 chicks I see in your photo, kittenface? :-\

Yes SGB got that earlier today and she got the cutest video of dad having to give chick duty up to mom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRKmgt1M10

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 22:07 »
Is that 3 chicks I see in your photo, kittenface? :-\

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 21:11 »
Oh great catch SGB  :D

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2010, 18:43 »
SGB got this

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 02:54 »
Note from the Fargo Project (received today) ...

As of yesterday we still had four eggs.  It is hard to see details because the female is still incubating/brooding.  However, it very much appears that the eggs have begun to hatch.  Right on schedule based on our best estimates of when incubation began.

Banding is scheduled for June 11 at 11:00 AM.

The problems with the web camera continue.   It is now obvious we need to add more hardware and software.  Finding technical support has also proven to be a real challenge.   We are trying, but at this point I can make no promises.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 20:40 »
Great news kitten, thanks for letting us know  :-*

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 19:56 »
Well one has hatched so far today

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 23:34 »
One of Dakota Ace's kids has turned up back in Grand Forks with Terminator (from Brandon) for a second year. 

More information here: http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/board,8.0.html

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 18:34 »
Update (posted March 23, 2010)

Both adult peregrines are now back in Fargo. The female was first seen on March 14, and she was joined by the male today. Although they have not been positively identified, based on appearances and behavior they are almost certainly Dakota Ace and Miracle, our resident pair for the past several years.

In anticipation of another nesting, this website is currently being updated. The text has been expanded and revised. We are in the process of adding photos. Most significantly, two new cameras have been installed to monitor activity in the nest box. At present, access to the web camera images is limited, as the software is incompatible with many systems. Steps designed to provide easy and universal access are underway, and will hopefully be completed soon.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 17:40 »
Dakota Ace has been the resident male for years and he has a black/red band on his left leg (b/r *H/D - that's sideways H over D).

Last year's resident female was Miracle, black over green band on left leg (b/g 28/D) - she's from the Sherco Plant in Minnesota.  Previous female was also a black over green banded female, Frieda (b/g 24/A) who was from the Dairyland Coop Plant in Alma, Wisconsin.

Have to wait and see if Wick and the gang can get some band numbers soon.  Great webcaptures Kitten!

Another note - we have a connection with Fargo in that T2/Terminator who is nesting in Grand Forks now is the daughter of Holly, the former resident female in Brandon who in turn is the daughter of Dakota Ace and Frieda from Fargo.  T2/Terminator's mates from 2008 (Bear) and 2009 (Roosevelt) are originally from Fargo as well.

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 17:30 »
Well I don't know who is who but I got one that is black/green and one is black/red

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 13:24 »
News from my contact in Fargo, we have had a peregrine in the vicinity of the nestbox but they don't yet have an id on it though he thinks it is a female and it could be their resident female.

There have been some problems with the cameras recently and they hope to have them all sorted for the season shortly.  Its been awhile since we had a cam on this site so it will be nice to have them back again!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 19:14 »
Errr...a pigeon has laid 2 eggs so far in the Fargo nestbox. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 08:59 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

http://fargofalcons.net/blog/falconcam/

It will ask you to install some add on which I did.  User name is guest with no password.  I've tested it and the cams are working ... as of now anyway!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 09:03 by carly »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Fargo - 2009 / Dakota Ace & Miracle
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 12:28 »
Are they related to RAdisson ;) ;) Housekeeping is not her bag either.

Froona hung around at least until Sept 14 that we know of also.  I guess some just like the nest area.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 10:51 »
I emailed Fargo with the news about Sandy and this is part of their reply ...

Both of our adults have now migrated.  We are working on new cameras, and we are committed to having everything up and running be next season.  The initial installation is taking place this afternoon.  Curiously, when we went up on the roof a month or so ago to take down the old camera one of the babies was still here.  She joined her parents in the attack.  This is much later than I have previously seen young of the year still in town.

Looks like we will have a webcam again in Fargo for 2010 - whoo-hoo!!!  :D

Housekeeping may run in the family.  Our current female also likes to pile up carrion.  The nest box is a mess.  Am going to clean it out as part of the camera installation.

Definitely a different definition of housekeeping from Trey's!  :o

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 20:05 »
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Harrison, the little male. I hope the two females will stay safe.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 18:42 »
Thanks for the update TPC...very sad to hear another falcon lost!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 15:10 »
Update from Wick Corwin in Fargo this afternoon ....

As anticipated the young have left the box.  Unfortunately, we have lost one of them in the process.

Harrison, the lone male, was out of the box and on top of the bank building by Monday evening.  The next morning he was found dead on Main Avenue.  Presumably he had landed on the ground following his first real flight and was hit by traffic.

The two females, Crest and Sandy, were out the box and on top of the roof by Wednesday.  At least one of them is now reported at a different location in the immediate vicinity.

Therefore, things are progressing in a very typical manner.  Accidents do happen, and the first flights are usually the most problematic.  I will let you know if any further problems are reported.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 06:36 »
My husband is already rolling his eyes when he sees Netherlands Italy and Ohio windows up on the computer monitor. He is interested though and will soon be a convert. The peregrines cannot be resisted!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 21:14 »
Our computer screens are going to look like CNN  ;D, except we will call our network....TPN (The Peregrine Network)!!!!

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 18:45 »
YAY -- thanks, TPC! 

I think this year we're going to have to organize ourselves into 'watching groups', because we have so much to keep tabs on.  Everyone who will commit to watching a specific camera for a specific time period every day (or find a sub if you have a doctor appt), and post any news.  We'll split the cameras and time periods up between all volunteers.  Then, you post anything newsworthy in the place for it on the Home page, with a new topic for each date.  Then, we each only have to read the ones we're not looking at, instead of trying to watch all of them. 

Any volunteers? 

btw -- just kidding!   :P  Personally, I can't wait for all the camera-switching to start!  lol 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Fargo - 2009 / Dakota Ace & Miracle
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 00:33 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

Fargo volunteers emailed me to let me know that a female has returned to the nestbox in Fargo.  Though they haven't been able to confirm the band number, they are pretty sure that it is their resident female from last year.

Webcam Link:  http://fargofalcons.net/blog/falconcam/

nest location:  Bank of the West building in downtown Fargo
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 00:44 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
Re: Fargo - 2008 / Dakota Ace & Miracle
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 16:11 »
That is a wonderful story - I hope those guys are telling their kids and friends and everyone how wonderful the birds are, so everyone will want to follow them!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 08:10 »
What a wonderful story!   :)

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 07:46 »
Two more human heros for the birds..

kind of rekindles your faith in your fellow man.

thanks guys ! 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 23:23 »
An article today on the rescue of one of this year's juvies at Fargo. I'm glad they found her and were able to rescue her.

Peregrine falcon rescued from inside 40-foot-tall sign atop The Forum building

Michelle Rydell, The Forum
Published Wednesday, August 13, 2008

FARGO - One of Fargo’s three baby peregrine falcons was saved today after a Forum maintenance manager found it stuck in the newspaper’s 40-foot vertical sign on the roof of the downtown building.

The female bird, identified by its band numbers as Audrey Jean, squawked and nervously flew around the inside of the vertical column on which The Forum sign is affixed, while two Fargo employees tried to coax it near the opening.

The bird was found stuck in the sign Tuesday morning, when Maintenance Manager Dave Shasky was replacing lights in the sign. Shasky and Forum pilot Keith Corliss crawled into the sign Wednesday morning and worked for nearly an hour to free the bird.

After finding its way out the hole created atop the column, the bird flew up 13 stories and perched atop the Radisson Hotel Fargo on 5th Street. Corliss said there were no visible injuries on the bird.

The three young peregrine falcons – a species that was nearly extinct 30 years ago – were born in a manmade nest near the top of the 12-story Bank of the West building in downtown Fargo.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=211313&section=news

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 17:06 »
The Fargo birds appear to be on chicks at the moment, but because of the foul weather everyone has been having, the Fargo Project hasn't been willing to disturb the birds to find out how many have hatched.  They have however set a banding date - June 20th. 

They have got a new website:  The Fargo Falcons.  They also hope to have the webcam back up and running about banding time.

Just got an update, new female at this site, not Frieda of the last 4-5 years.  Don't have an ID on the new bird but I'm pretty sure Dakota Ace is still the resident male.  They have three chicks right now, probably hatched about the same time as the Radisson chicks, they look to be a bit over 10 days old when they were checked today (they hadn't been checked earlier because of the weather).  As mentionned earlier, they will be banded at 11 am on June 20th, and perhaps, they will have the webcam back online at that time.  They will probably post a notice on their website when it's going to be available again.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 17:09 by The Peregrine Chick »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Fargo - 2008-2011 / Dakota Ace & Miracle
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 18:56 »
2008 NESTING SEASON

Project: Peregrine Falcon Falcon Cam

nest location:  Bank of the West building in downtown Fargo

female: Frieda
male: Dakota Ace
paired together since 2003

Webcam was hosted by Prairie Public Broadcasting until April of this year.  Arrangements are currently underway to find a new provider.  The plan is to have the camera operating again by the banding in mid-June.

http://www.prairiepublic.org/features/riverwatch/project_falcon/index_frame_cam.html
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 00:43 by The Peregrine Chick »