Author Topic: MI / Flint - North Bank Centre - 2009-11  (Read 8220 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Michigan / Flint - North Bank Centre - 2011 / Barry & Majesty
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 23:31 »
Interesting articles. Thanks Dan. :) Yes, it is good that they were able to give Majesty some medical attention for her swollen leg. I wonder how difficult it was to capture her?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 23:36 by Kinderchick »

Offline Dan Waltz

• Hatchling
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 20:05 »
Glad you enjoyed the article.  Here is another link to another story on them. Not sure why, but one of the chicks is named differently in this story. http://www.abc12.com/story/15187725/peregrine-falcons-raising-another-family-in-flint#.TjgU1qU49Ww.facebook

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 19:57 »
http://www.umflint.edu/news/university-news/peregrine-falcons-love-um-flint/

Thanks for the link.  Nice story, and glad they were able to capture majesty and fix up her leg.

Offline Dan Waltz

• Hatchling
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 18:18 »

One of Barry & Majesty's chicks. (2011)

Offline Dan Waltz

• Hatchling
Michigan / Flint - North Bank Centre - 2011 / Barry & Majesty
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 16:51 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

I just heard that  Barry & Majesty has two chicks, (6 weeks old) in the same location as two years ago on the Northbank Center Ledge.  Camera is broke, hoping to get it fixed soon and gets some pics soon. I understand the chicks names are ELLE and EMMA.  More to come.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 18:23 by Dan Waltz »

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Michigan / Flint - North Bank Centre - 2009 / Barry & Majesty
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 14:56 »
Article about the Flint peregrines - Barry, Majesty & Maize

Flint, Michigan -- The under-construction former Durant Hotel may not seem like the most romantic rendezvous spot -- but that's where peregrine falcons Barry and Majestic were found nesting a few weeks ago.  nd their chick, who was born on the downtown landmark's ledge, has kind of become a University of Michigan-Flint mascot.  She was aptly named Maize.

"The name peregrine means wanderer and these birds by their nature move around a lot," said Tim Payne, Southeast Michigan wildlife supervisor with the state's Department of Natural Resources. "Why they picked this particular area in Flint is anybody's guess."

The bands on the adult birds show that 8-year-old Barry comes from Ohio and Majestic is seven years old and was born in Toronto, Canada. Peregrine pairs are true lovebirds -- they mate for life.

Barb Baldinger Maize, who was named by a UM-Flint employee who spotted the birds, was moved today about 300 feet away to a ledge on the Northbank Center to protect her from construction.  Payne was downtown today observing the birds to make sure 24-day-old Maize's parents know where she is.

In Michigan, the crow-sized peregrines known for their slate gray backs are rare and remain listed as an endangered species. The state has at least 10 known nesting pairs.  This isn't the first time the migratory birds have been spotted here.  In 2004, another pair or peregrines was also found nesting on a ledge of the onetime Durant Hotel.  Payne said peregrines seem to like cliff-like dwellings and the Durant ledge may also be desirable because it faces to the east, protecting it from winds.

The state started a program in the 1960s to reestablish the peregrine falcon population here. Nesting pairs seem to be most active in southeast Michigan.

Maize has also been banded to trace her travels. "We've got very very few of these so it's of high interest to track their success and monitor them to make sure we do have a recovering population," Payne said.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 22:32 »
yup!  well written B!  Sometimes falcons will just show up one, five or even more years later!!!!  Here's hoping for Maize!  You go girl!!!!!

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 16:36 »
Just have to add that Tracy (TPC) said that once the kids have learned the life skills from the parents, it's not unusual to lose sight of them till the next year.
" No news is good news" as Tracy says. Haven't seen/heard from ours for a couple of weeks, but I am confidant that Trey and Princess have taught them everything they need to know to survive.

The parents are still around and do not seem stressed. So, to me all is well.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 16:29 »
I hope she's okay too...wonder if Dan has any news?

I checked his blog yesterday, and he had not seen Maize since about July 1.  :(

From his blog:

UPDATE: July 12 & 14, 6:00pm

Majesty and Barry sitting on the front ledge of Genesee County Savings Bank building. In two days it will be two weeks since Maize has been seen. As you can tell by my blog, this is very uncommon. I believe that Maize has left the area, or something had happened to her, which I find hard to believe. She was a very strong falcon and her mom and dad kept close eye on her. If she was down on a rooftop somewhere hurt I believe I would have seen some unusual behavior by Barry or Majesty. They both tend to look in opposite directions a lot. Not sure if it's for there own protection or if in fact they are scanning the skyline for Maize. Anyway, I do a lot of speculation. I just hope for the best for Maize and hope that one day she will return to the area. If not this year, maybe when she's ready to raise her own.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 23:44 »
I hope she's okay too...wonder if Dan has any news?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 19:09 »
Oh I hope she is okay as well.  She was a darling  :-*

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 19:06 »
It seems that Maize has not been sighted since at least July 27. I hope she is okay. :(

Part of an update:

. . . however we are not able to find 2 at Blue Water Bridge, 1 at UofD Mercy, 1 at Monroe Powerplant, and our only Flint produced falcon 'Maize').

http://www.geocities.com/macomb_audubon/Falcon_Page_2009.htm

This great pic of Majesty is by Barb Baldinger.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
I don't believe there have been any sightings for the last few days, but there is an article on the falcon family in The Michigan Times. It refers to Majesty as "Majestic" throughout.

http://media.www.themichigantimes.com/media/storage/paper620/news/2009/07/07/LocalNews/UmFlint.Has.Unofficial.Mascot.In.maize-3750681.shtml

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
What a beautiful falcon!!!  She saying: "Hey Mom and Dad, look at me, I'm flying, I'm flying!!!!"