Author Topic: AB / Calgary - U of Calgary - 2009-16  (Read 49712 times)

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: Calgary - U of Calgary - 2011 / Gary & Callie
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2011, 12:57 »
Allie was found on the ground again today, by campus security, in a pedestrian area near the Faculty of Nursing. She was checked out and released again on a roof area near where Bert had initially fledged to. A parent was close by. Let's hope "3rd time's a charm". ;)

Kinderchick, was this the second or third rescue for Allie?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2011, 23:59 »
Allie was found on the ground again today, by campus security, in a pedestrian area near the Faculty of Nursing. She was checked out and released again on a roof area near where Bert had initially fledged to. A parent was close by. Let's hope "3rd time's a charm". ;)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2011, 22:24 »
I have faith in this female...
:-*

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2011, 22:16 »
We had to rescue our red band male 3 times 2 years ago and he ended up our best flyer.

I have faith in this female. Rain is a big issue.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2011, 14:17 »
Wow -- having to rescue Allie from the ground twice must be nerve-wracking for the fledgewatchers at U of Calgary. I'll second Linderlou's hope that she has better luck with her third attempt.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2011, 14:07 »
Thanks for the video of Bert fleding. It seemed like he had to talk himself into going before taking flight. He seemed to have no problems once he was airborne. Hope that Allie will be lucky on her 3rd attempt. Keep us informed.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2011, 13:32 »
It seems that Allie needed to be rescued from the ground a 2nd time. It had been raining hard and she was apparently looking for shelter so dropped down into a doorway at ground level. She was checked out and returned to the nestbox shortly after that. :)

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2011, 13:20 »
Here is a link to Bert's fledging video, for anyone interested...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djyVNIF89RE&feature=player_embedded#at=21

Great video Kinderchick. ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2011, 12:17 »
It seems that the female (Allie) at this site didn't want to  be left behind, alone in the nesbox. So yesterday afternoon, at approx. 1:40 Calgary, just 3 hrs. after Bert fledged, she decided to "fly the coop". ::) After some searching, she was found on a ground level area near the Law Bldg., captured, checked out and since she did not appear to be injured, was placed on a lower roof near her nestbox. This morning, the 2 were reported to be doing well, still where they were yesterday and vocally strong. Parents are nearby watching over them. :D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2011, 20:58 »
The male peregrine falcon (Bert) at this nestsite fledged this morning around 10:25 Calgary time. Same day as Bea at the Radisson! :D Wouldn't it be great if these 2 got together some day? Just never know. ;) Apparently, Bert had a wonderful first flight, fledging to the Law Library Bldg., not far from the building where the nestbox is located.

Here is a link to Bert's fledging video, for anyone interested...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djyVNIF89RE&feature=player_embedded#at=21

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2011, 11:19 »
Apparently this webcam is temporarily down, due to technical difficulties. They are working on getting it up and running asap. According to the chat board, neither chick had fledged prior to the webcam going down this morning.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2011, 23:00 »
Neither of these 2 have fledged yet. Maybe tomorrow? :-\

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2011, 20:01 »
Wow! Are these 2 ever getting big! :o Only a few more days till fledging begins.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2011, 11:29 »
All our chicks seem to be fledging younger, they are smaller so that's not surprising or a problem.  What is interesting is that our smaller females are fledging only a couple of days after their brothers.  Hurricane fledged first - a day before Chinook and I think there was one, maybe two days before Mistral ... (I'll try to remember to check) ...  used to have about a week between males and females as I recall ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2011, 10:45 »
TPC,  has there been a change over the years at the Radisson, then?

I was wondering the same thing, bcbird. I was thinking that perhaps our females at the Radisson are fledging earlier because there have been so many more males at the Radisson these past few years in comparison to this nest site with only 2 birds, 1 male, 1 female. I wonder if that's what makes the difference?  ??? TPC would likely know. :-*