Author Topic: AB / Calgary - U of Calgary - 2009-16  (Read 49233 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Calgary - U of Calgary - 2011 / Gary & Callie
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2011, 10:14 »
Posted on the website...

Aug. 25: Got visit by both adults this morning, which lasted a few minutes. Some vocalizations between them that 'sounded' like a reunion chat. Very exciting, and dad even came waddling over to camera for close-up of eyes.

Aug. 29: Mom has been back several times since last parental visit, and has sometimes stayed all morning, preening, settling on nesting area for a bit, and napping in standing position, with occasional chatting noises.

The webcam is still up and running, so if you're lucky, you can still see the birds. :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:16 by Kinderchick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2011, 23:15 »
Posted on August 16/11...

Nothing 'special' to report, except that on several occasions, especially last evening, we have had reg. visits by various falcon family members, but mostly, the mom. She has gone back to reclaim her nesting spot on the ledge, and visits quite often, including vocalizations. The juveniles are also still around campus, and are sometimes found to be huddling on window ledges, balcony edges ('Bert' seems to prefer those) and often in close proximity to one another.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2011, 19:14 »
We had to rescue our RB male 3 times 2 years ago and he ended up being our best flyer. He was jsut not ready but either got spooked or knocked off and flew before he should .

sometimes they have to be rescued because they fell into something . do they say where she was rescued 3rd time. Red Deer male ended up in a chimney last year, our blue girl ended up in a big fan last year. luckily it was not on.

I remember Rhea Mae ,that is in Toronto ending up in a big shaft , when she fledged.

Glad they are doing well. :-* :-*

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2011, 20:55 »
Well, I did think that 4 rescues was rather a lot and wondered if she was okay.

...could be a good sign that Allie will be around driving watchers crazy for many years to come ....
Not sure what you mean by this, TPC. :-\ Do you mean she may not leave town or do you mean that she will be most likely to return to the territory, because of all the rescues and if so, why would that be?

Neither  :)  Just that we had a bird that needed to be rescued alot (for us) and that was the bird that survived hatch year (and a few more) - never have heard anything about his less crash-prone siblings.  Don't look so far ahead.  Surviving hatch year is the biggest hurdle, get them through that, then wonder if they will turn up somewhere to try to nest ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2011, 20:47 »
Well, I did think that 4 rescues was rather a lot and wondered if she was okay.

...could be a good sign that Allie will be around driving watchers crazy for many years to come ....
Not sure what you mean by this, TPC. :-\ Do you mean she may not leave town or do you mean that she will be most likely to return to the territory, because of all the rescues and if so, why would that be?

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2011, 20:27 »
Report from this site has mentioned that Allie needed to be rescued from the ground, yet a 4th time, on July 29th. Apparently, though, she has been doing well since being released again. :) The webcam was down for awhile but is now back up and both juvies and parents have been returning to the nestbox regularly. The other day, a Franklins's gull was brought into the nestbox by dad and was shared by dad & Bert.

We had a male chick with not as many rescues (never had any bird that needed 4 rescues) and he did quite well as I seem to recall (will have to check the records) - could be a good sign that Allie will be around driving watchers crazy for many years to come ....

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2011, 15:49 »
Report from this site has mentioned that Allie needed to be rescued from the ground, yet a 4th time, on July 29th. Apparently, though, she has been doing well since being released again. :) The webcam was down for awhile but is now back up and both juvies and parents have been returning to the nestbox regularly. The other day, a Franklins's gull was brought into the nestbox by dad and was shared by dad & Bert.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2011, 22:49 »
Boy they learn fast!

Yes, they do, bcf. I was a little worried about Allie, given that she initially needed to be rescued 3 times.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2011, 22:40 »
Boy they learn fast!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2011, 20:43 »
It seems that Allie & Bert's flying skills are improving all the time, with the following post from the website...

With good, dry weather the past several days, Allie's progress has gone from very questionable to very competent, given the distances and heights they are both now achieving.

This is very good news! :D

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2011, 08:03 »
After Allie's rocky start, it's good to hear she's doing better and improving her skills now -- hope for nothing but clear sailing ahead!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2011, 23:45 »
It seems that Bert & Allie are doing well, with no more mishaps, for the time being. Bert is getting in some good flights, gaining altitude. Allie is flying back and forth on lower buildings for now, gaining confidence and strengthening her flying skills. :)

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2011, 13:16 »
Wow three times grounded. Good thing someone always finds her, and she isn't hurt.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2011, 13:11 »
Wow -- grounded three times; she's certainly having a tough start. Hope the next flight goes smoothly for her.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2011, 13:08 »
This was Allie's 3rd rescue, MayShowers. Sorry, I guess my "3rd time's a charm" post was confusing. It was very late last night when I posted and I guess I thought I was being witty. ::)