Author Topic: VA / Richmond - Riverfront Plaza - 2009-22  (Read 19824 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Richmond - 2009 / Ozzie & Harriet
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2009, 20:35 »
It's getting hard to tell who is who at this nest - they are all changing so fast now. I don't know where the boy is today.

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2009, 17:29 »
Thanks for the news about the boy, Linderlou. I can see why they dubbed him "the stinker"  ;D

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2009, 17:26 »
Thought The Boy was back :-[

Cancelled apparently false alarm, it's one of the girls again.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 17:31 by LinderLou »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2009, 19:13 »
Talk about a falconwaddlefaceplant walk  ::)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2009, 18:35 »
Yup just saw the photo evidence..now I believe he is okay!  Still dont' quite understand how he likes being on his own at such a young age when he's got 2 sisters to hang out with but perhaps he's the 'loner' one in the group  ;)

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2009, 18:23 »
Good news. The boy was spotted on the ledge and was up and down from what he was climbing on and apparently with no problems. Check into BCAW for more info. He is safe and sound and being a really stinker ;D ;D ;D

Quote from obxbarb who watched him for an hour

I can tell you that our little stinker is definitely not stuck! I was down there for an hour. I saw him pop up four times, two of them he scampered down the top ledge. He was giving me a heart attack!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 18:29 by LinderLou »

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2009, 17:48 »
Yep, that was me - climbing before I was walking. Always climbing trees and then Dad would have to come rescue me 'cause I couldn't get down. I understand that little guy's problem!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2009, 14:28 »
I don't think he can get back otherwise he would have come back at night.  They like to cuddle up together at night time, my guess is he's stuck up there.  Remember being a kid and you climbed up something and then once there realized you can't get down without jumping and hurting yourself?

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2009, 14:07 »
Tks for pics of the girls. I certainly hope they don't follow the trail of the boy and end up out of view. This seems very odd that a young one would take off so early and not return to the nest box. Although maybe he finds it nice being fed by Mom and Dad and not having to share. I wish they could get some news or pics from the person who spotted him on the ledge. That would certainly put minds at rest. IE also konks out on me with this site. I sure hope he starts making his way back to others soon.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2009, 18:21 »
Thank you for the update, LinderLou and Carly! I can't believe the little guy is up on the edge of the ledge! I'm glad the DGIF people are keeping track of what is happening. I hope the chick gets back down from there soon.

Now the nest box is empty (or it was before the site crashed again). This cam is not compatible with IE for some reason - supposedly it works fine in Firefox. It didn't crash nearly as often in previous years.

A few pics of the two females before they disappeared from view:

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2009, 17:31 »
Ha!  Just read the update and was coming here to post..I knew my spider sense wasn't tingling for nothing.  Update and photo with arrows of his location. 

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/falconcam2008/

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2009, 17:26 »
Well it turns out the one they spotted is not the male. It was the female. They explain it on the BCAW site. I don't have the link but I think it was posted last page or one before.

Message from VDGIF Wildlife Biologist @ 4.32 PM.

A local falcon watcher with a vantage point from a nearby office building has made a positive sighting of our wandering chick. The young male was seen perched atop the parapet (raised edge of the ledge) at the furthest point possible from the nest box.

This relatively precarious position underscores our decision not to access the ledge in search of the "missing" chick. Any disturbance might have startled the young bird into jumping, resulting in an unfortunate conclusion. It is somewhat surprising to find the young male up on the edge at this age but there are some structures present (lights, fixtures etc.) that might have given him a leg up, so to speak.

As we suspected the young bird has simply taken advantage of the spacious ledge to explore its surroundings. The observer noted at least one of the parents attending to the young male. Given the fact that his sisters are so much larger then he - remaining on his own might offer some relief in competing for food. Should he choose to, he'll be able to make his way back to the nest box.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 17:36 by LinderLou »

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2009, 15:07 »
Carly - I'm right beside you worrying. How else are we going to make things turn out right?

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2009, 14:36 »
Definitaly a little guy carly and cute as can be, ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2009, 14:33 »
carly....  "you worry too much"   :-*

Heh...happy to be wrong and worried in this case...!  I can't see the photos at work, they are blocked so there better be a little guy there when I get home  :P

I'm happy about Bai Yun and now this good news..it's a good day!