Author Topic: VA / Richmond - Riverfront Plaza - 2009-22  (Read 19834 times)

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Richmond - 2009 / Ozzie & Harriet
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2009, 10:59 »
Carly, I think the facial expressions are what drew me to watching this site. Have had quite a few chuckles watching these three.

Kittenface, will the work being done on Monday before banding really stress the chicks and parents out. Are the workers going to be right on the ledge?

Anyway, I hope all goes well and nothing bad happens.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2009, 20:15 »
These guys have the greatest facial expressions I've ever seen..just can't get enough of them  ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 20:04 »
It seemed to be hot there today, but all three chicks were wandering around:

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2009, 15:03 »
Update

The necessary equipment for installation of the safety system on the nesting ledge will not be in place in time for tomorrow's scheduled work.

The safety system is now scheduled to be installed on Monday morning - after which the banding will take place as planned.

posted by VDGIF Wildlife Biologist at 4:05 PM
Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2009, 09:39 »
I completely agree Alison!!  :)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2009, 23:52 »
"Due to the nest failures of the last two years, the lateness of this year’s brood and to reinforce the pair’s attachment to the Riverfront Plaza nest site, we have decided to leave all the chicks at the nestbox site to fledge naturally this year. We are hopeful that the spaciousness of the ledge, the relative abundance of shade and protected nature of this site will result in their successful fledging in mid-August."
Alison this should make you happy. ;D ;D ;D ;D

It does, LinderLou! I am glad the chicks will be allowed to fledge and stay with the parents to learn all the skills they will need in the wild.

I do understand the reasons for removing chicks from certain sites, such as the James River Bridge, where the danger of drowning while attempting to fledge is high, but whenever possible, I think it's better to leave them with their parents.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2009, 23:49 »
Your second photo Alison - one chick on the left, two chicks noses-to-toeses on the right ...
And since they can belly-crawl under that ramp, I'm not surprised you frequently can't find all three of the little darlings!!

Oh, you're absolutely right, TPC! And they do like to disappear under the ramp.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2009, 16:39 »
Got caught up on the news from the site today. Banding is to be Monday July 27/09. Good news also,

Due to the nest failures of the last two years, the lateness of this year’s brood and to reinforce the pair’s attachment to the Riverfront Plaza nest site, we have decided to leave all the chicks at the nestbox site to fledge naturally this year. We are hopeful that the spaciousness of the ledge, the relative abundance of shade and protected nature of this site will result in their successful fledging in mid-August.

Alison this should make you happy. ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 16:42 by LinderLou »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2009, 03:09 »
Hadn't seen the chicks at all over the weekend; they're all out of the nest now. I only saw two at any one time, but I know all three were there.

Your second photo Alison - one chick on the left, two chicks noses-to-toeses on the right ...
And since they can belly-crawl under that ramp, I'm not surprised you frequently can't find all three of the little darlings!!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2009, 21:25 »
Hadn't seen the chicks at all over the weekend; they're all out of the nest now. I only saw two at any one time, but I know all three were there.

Then this message appeared on the screen: now it's gone again.  ???

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2009, 17:27 »
Love the close-up view - these chicks are at the 'hilarious' age now -  ;D......but being soooooooo spoiled by our live uninterrupted falcon cam in Wpg - it's hard to get used to the refresh, even if it is only 2 seconds apart!  :-\!

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2009, 15:15 »
Alison thanks for the great shots of these chicks. Watched the cam for awhile yesterday, and one of them sure does have an interest in that ramp. Won't be long if it hasn't already happened. Haven't checked in yet today.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2009, 22:44 »
They are indeed very very cute!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2009, 22:24 »
These three really are so cute! I didn't realize how much they had grown until Harriet arrived to feed them and I could see how much bigger they look beside her. They are really well fed. After the feeding, Harriet came back again for a moment to give a little more food to the chick who had been in the left corner.

The chicks are already looking at the ramp with a whole lot of interest.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2009, 12:31 »
Couldn't agree more Linderlou... :D