Author Topic: VA / Richmond - Riverfront Plaza - 2009-22  (Read 19713 times)

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
Re: Richmond - 2009 / Ozzie & Harriet
« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2009, 21:26 »
Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fledging
Our three young falcons have grown quickly. Only a few scattered tufts of down remain and their juvenile plumage is almost fully grown in. Peregrine falcons typically fledge between 40-45 days after hatching.

The door-opener apparatus will be installed on the pen door on Tuesday morning, August 18th. This will mark 47 to 48 days since hatching for these falcons. The extra time ensures full feather development, and allows these birds to strengthen their flight muscles before attempting their first flights.

The “apparatus” is comprised of a weight, bungee cords, and a plastic bottle of ice attached to the pen door. As the ice melts it releases the weight and the door is slowly pulled open by the bungee cords. Depending on the temperature on the release date, the door should open about 2-4 hours after the trigger is attached. We have used this method successfully for three years. Though the adults become aggressive when we attach the device, they quickly calm down after we leave. Past releases have gone very smoothly, with the chicks typically walking from the pen or flying to the ledge, surveying their surroundings for a few minutes or hours, and then taking successful first flights.

DGIF personnel and skilled volunteers will be stationed in the area surrounding the nest building. This will allow us to track the young birds’ first efforts and ensure that they are capable of sustained, controlled flight. This monitoring effort will continue until we are confident in the flight abilities of the fledglings. Should one of the fledglings encounter difficulty and end up on the ground, DGIF staff will recover the fledgling and either return it to the ledge or ensure prompt treatment and transportation to a licensed rehabilitation facility if necessary.

posted by VDGIF Wildlife Biologist at 7:11 PM
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/falconcam2008/

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2009, 19:58 »
I check on them daily as well, what a gorgeous bunch of juvies.  I think they look ready to roam around but given the temperatures I can understand waiting a bit.  Although for the parents it will be challenging as all 3 will probably fledge at the same time...I've seen that here last year and was a wild ride.  Hopefully they will have a fledge watch to help with rescues if necessary.

Must be confusing for the parents right now as normally they'd be slimming them down or teasing them with food to get them to fly - which you can hardly do when you're kids are locked up.  I wonder what they must think.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 20:00 by carly »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2009, 19:39 »
I don't know when the chicks are going to be released. Haven't been able to access the cam much for a couple of days, except when no chicks are visible.

They were out in the cage this evening as it was getting dark:

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2009, 17:10 »
Have been checking in on this site for the last couple of days because I thought they might have set the McGyver thing up on the door of the cage to release them. So far not, and maybe not for a couple of days. Weather is 100 degrees there today and high 90's tomorrow and thunderstorms in the forecast so it probably won't be a good time for release. They are certainly cage crazy, but should be ready for whatever they are destined to do in a couple of days. Would rather see them held back until it is safer.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2009, 21:22 »
Ditto what you said Carly. Hope it happens next year as well :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2009, 07:01 »
Lol...I love the expression on mom's face  ;D  Now I see where the kids get their expressive faces  :P 

I really hope next year they let them raise the chicks again instead of taking them away...they've done a great job this year and these three have been a joy to watch.. :)

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2009, 22:28 »
Great pics! I can just imagine how fast they're going to be out of there once the cage is removed.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2009, 21:10 »
The three chicks had a really big meal this evening. Harriet took time to make sure they all got fed. The little guy is so small beside his sisters, but I did see him being fed.

All the food is gone . . .

The chicks stayed out of the nest box for only a couple of minutes before settling down for the night.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2009, 20:36 »
Great photos Alison....Great one of the adult feeding the young ones.  Obviously there is no problem feeding them through the bars.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2009, 19:55 »
There is an article on the Richmond chicks today in the Examiner:

http://www.examiner.com/x-19245-Exploring-Richmond-Examiner~y2009m8d6-The-Richmond-falcons-raise-a-new-brood

They are being well fed, through the bars:

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2009, 16:14 »
Alison, thanks for pics. The "little stinker" definitely doesn't want to be in this pen. Climbing walls already. To bad they didn't put a stick across the bars so they could perch and flap at the same time. I checked out the archives that they mentioned and they did have a bar/stick across at that time.
The boy and the smaller female seem to get along and she protects him somewhat against the bigger female. The big one is brutal. Even the smaller female seems to be wary of her. What a trio. :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 16:16 by LinderLou »

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2009, 07:56 »
Alison, thanks so much! I'll check these links out, and do appreciate the additional information -- I'm determined to know more about peregrines by the time next spring rolls around!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2009, 21:31 »
I've just started the book, but "hack-site attendant" sounds very much like what he's describing.

Saoirse, here are a couple of links with info and photos about hack boxes in the New River Gorge in Virginia, where the juvies from sites such as the James River Bridge and others spend time before being released.

http://www.tracwv.org/restoration3.html

http://www.tracwv.org/restoration1.html

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2009, 21:13 »
The reluctant residents:

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2009, 14:34 »
I've just started the book, but "hack-site attendant" sounds very much like what he's describing.