Author Topic: VA / Richmond - Riverfront Plaza - 2009-22  (Read 19711 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Richmond - 2009 / Ozzie & Harriet
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 18:57 »
She's gorgeous!  Love her expressions  :D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 18:49 »
Incubating the four eggs. It must be hot in Richmond today:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 21:01 »
Thank you, TPC, for the response! I hope the falcons will have success this year. Last year all the babies died within a day or so of hatching.

Apparently Richmond is not the only late nest this year. Stellar and Stammy in Youngstown, Ohio, have eggs which are not expected to hatch until the second or third week of July.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 23:49 »
This is really late to start a clutch. TPC, what do you think the chances are for this nest to be successful?

Producing viable eggs at this time of the year is no different from earlier, and there is no reason that any chicks that hatch won't make it successfully all the way to fledging.  The only drawback is that the chicks don't have as much time to learn/practice all the things they need to know prior to migration.  Now because these birds are in Virginia, they have more time than we do here in Winnipeg and the chicks could technically over-winter there with greater ease than here.  So I can't give you chances I'm afraid, but no reason to expect the worst ...

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 00:13 »
gosh, I hope it is.  That beak means Business!   :o

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
VA / Richmond - Riverfront Plaza - 2009-22
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 00:10 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

The falcon pair in Richmond, Virginia attempted to return to their former nest site (2003-2005) this year, but without success. One broken egg was found at that site.

They finally returned to the nest box which they have used since that time. The first egg was laid on May 24, and additional eggs were laid on May 26/27, May 28/29, and May 31.

This is really late to start a clutch. TPC, what do you think the chances are for this nest to be successful?

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/falconcam2008/