Author Topic: VA / Richmond - Riverfront Plaza - 2009-22  (Read 17859 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: VA / Richmond - 2022 / ? & ?
« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2022, 17:20 »
Thanks GCG - I have updated the link in the first post that way we (maybe) have it right next year :)  (the first post moves to the new board each year)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: VA / Richmond - 2022 / ? & ?
« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2022, 04:00 »
Riverfront Plaza
Richmond, Virginia

webcam:  www.ccb-wm.org/vafalcons/falconcam/falconcam_richmond1.htm

website:  www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/birds/peregrine-falcon/

Resident Pairs & Offspring:
  • coming soon

Unable to connect to the cam link above, I looked at the link in my saved favorites and the nestbox  link I have is......

https://dwr.virginia.gov/falcon-cam/?fbclid=IwAR05UIYNqsDC8qDl2O1aVoApTT9kEZgNHGI4fv9528HKy8alNO7FEM2VQeA

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
VA / Richmond - 2022 / ? & ?
« Reply #169 on: March 06, 2022, 18:29 »
2022 NESTING SEASON

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Virginia / Richmond - 2015 / Ozzie & Harriet
« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2015, 13:06 »
Okay - I don't know about anyone else but, Ozzie and Harriet are GREAT names, and I love them paired together!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Virginia / Richmond - 2015 / Ozzie & Harriet
« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2015, 12:23 »
The long-time resident peregrines at this site are Ozzie and Harriet. Ozzie is banded black/red V/S. Harriet is unbanded

They have been incubating four eggs. Hoping for a hatch here today; there is now a pip in one of the eggs (not visible at the moment).

New webcam link a few days ago:

http://blog.wildlife.virginia.gov/falcon-cam/

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Richmond - 2012 / Ozzie & Harriet
« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2012, 21:21 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

4 eggs laid at this nestsite, with 1st hatch on April 19th and 2 more hatches by April 20th. Apparently, the 4th egg did not hatch and was removed from the nest by one of the parents.

Great video of 1st hatch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru8dW91AxVg&feature=player_embedded

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Richmond - 2011 / Ozzie & Harriet
« Reply #165 on: April 30, 2011, 20:41 »
Fabulous pics, rcf! :-*

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2011, 18:01 »
Just caught a feeding of the chick.  :-* :-*

AFTERWARDS
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 18:03 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2011, 15:20 »
Four eggs at the site. Checked in and saw latest news:

Thursday, April 28, 2011

On the heels of the hatching of the first egg yesterday morning, a second egg appeared to have hatched sometime between yesterday evening and this morning. Since we began monitoring the camera this morning we have been unable to detect one of the two chicks and it is apparent that the second chick is dead. Two unhatched eggs remain and are being actively incubated. One of these eggs shows a pip. We continue to monitor the situation.

Sad news for this site and I hope that the other 2 eggs are okay.

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
Richmond - 2011 / Ozzie & Harriet
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2011, 21:11 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

Egg #1:  3/20

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Richmond - 2010 / Ozzie & Harriet
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2010, 17:40 »
One chick, staying in the shade. I don't know where the others were (there are three).

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Richmond - 2010 / Ozzie & Harriet
« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2010, 18:25 »
There are chicks at this nest, but I'm not sure how many - maybe two?

One of the chicks today:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Richmond - 2010 / Ozzie & Harriet
« Reply #159 on: February 01, 2010, 21:34 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

No peregrines at the nest today,  but a whole lot of snow, which I think is unusual for Richmond:

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: Richmond - 2009 / Ozzie & Harriet
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2009, 12:43 »
Big girl hit the building and slid...doesn't appear hurt though according to the latest update. 

Sounds like Vesper's encounter ... and frequently its more of a bump than a hit preceeding a slide down a vertical face ... they are trying to land so they are already shedding velocity before they encounter the vertical surface, not like songbirds that nail one's front windows!

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2009, 23:34 »
Decided to check in on this site's forum. Apparently slim to nil sightings of parents or fledgings since Aug. Glad we have sightings of our wonderful pairsome if not the chicks. Although that would be a bonus.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #156 on: August 18, 2009, 13:22 »
Big girl hit the building and slid...doesn't appear hurt though according to the latest update. 

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2009, 12:28 »
Dgif quote: we have three very strong fliers. Saw Ethel come in for a superb landing on the roof. Saw the other girl fly from corner to corner before she made her first strong flight.
So far so good, only wish I could have seen them leave the cage.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2009, 12:25 »
on BCAW they are saying that all three have fledged!  Someone from the board is on the fledge watch I think so they are getting updates!  I just came home and wanted to see them and voila..they are free!  :-*

some great photos over there of after the chicks left the cage..!

Start here for details and photos of the days events so far!

http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=37&start=380
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 12:29 by carly »

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2009, 12:22 »
Apparently the one on the cam fledged a few minutes ago. Not sure about the other female.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2009, 11:57 »
This is what they posted:
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Fledged!
The male has fledged! He took strong flight gaining altitude before landing atop the Riverfront Plaza west tower to rest and enjoy a new perspective. Both of the females have left the pen. 02/AD is perched on the ledge and 03/AD is perched atop the camera housing. We will post more updates later today.

posted by VDGIF Wildlife Biologist at 11:51 AM

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2009, 09:01 »
Here is the water bottle 10 am

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2009, 17:42 »
There's an article in the Times-Dispatch today about the opening of the cage door tomorrow:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/FALC17_20090816-220008/286498/

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2009, 14:36 »
Tks Pchemist for the info, glad I asked as I thought they were ahead of us in time. Am anxious to see what happens when that door opens, but am wondering how much we will actually get to see. I'm not sure how much area that cam is going to cover, so it might be a wasted effort trying to see anything. 

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #148 on: August 16, 2009, 23:35 »
Richmond is on Eastern time, as I recall.  so an hour before Winnipeg.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #147 on: August 16, 2009, 22:19 »
They sure look ready to go. I wonder if they'll all take off right away.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #146 on: August 16, 2009, 14:47 »
Well Tuesday morning is the day the door on the cage will be opened. They say once the trigger mechanism is attached, it takes 2-4 hours for the door to open. The temp on Tuesday is supposed to be in the 90's so will probably not take the longest time to melt the ice. On the site they are estimating between 9 and noon Richmond time. Does anyone know what is the time difference?

Online sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2009, 22:48 »
All three lined up as if they are watching for the bars to be raised and they can escape................

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2009, 19:54 »
Very happy to read they are having a fledge watch for these guys.  that news makes me feel a lot better! 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2009, 18:58 »
They really want to get out of that cage . . .

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2009, 21:46 »
It seems to me that these three juvies are being watched very carefully...GREAT NEWS!!!!
I can't wait to hear/read about all the excitement that's about to come.... 8)

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2009, 21:26 »
Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fledging
Our three young falcons have grown quickly. Only a few scattered tufts of down remain and their juvenile plumage is almost fully grown in. Peregrine falcons typically fledge between 40-45 days after hatching.

The door-opener apparatus will be installed on the pen door on Tuesday morning, August 18th. This will mark 47 to 48 days since hatching for these falcons. The extra time ensures full feather development, and allows these birds to strengthen their flight muscles before attempting their first flights.

The “apparatus” is comprised of a weight, bungee cords, and a plastic bottle of ice attached to the pen door. As the ice melts it releases the weight and the door is slowly pulled open by the bungee cords. Depending on the temperature on the release date, the door should open about 2-4 hours after the trigger is attached. We have used this method successfully for three years. Though the adults become aggressive when we attach the device, they quickly calm down after we leave. Past releases have gone very smoothly, with the chicks typically walking from the pen or flying to the ledge, surveying their surroundings for a few minutes or hours, and then taking successful first flights.

DGIF personnel and skilled volunteers will be stationed in the area surrounding the nest building. This will allow us to track the young birds’ first efforts and ensure that they are capable of sustained, controlled flight. This monitoring effort will continue until we are confident in the flight abilities of the fledglings. Should one of the fledglings encounter difficulty and end up on the ground, DGIF staff will recover the fledgling and either return it to the ledge or ensure prompt treatment and transportation to a licensed rehabilitation facility if necessary.

posted by VDGIF Wildlife Biologist at 7:11 PM
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/falconcam2008/

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2009, 19:58 »
I check on them daily as well, what a gorgeous bunch of juvies.  I think they look ready to roam around but given the temperatures I can understand waiting a bit.  Although for the parents it will be challenging as all 3 will probably fledge at the same time...I've seen that here last year and was a wild ride.  Hopefully they will have a fledge watch to help with rescues if necessary.

Must be confusing for the parents right now as normally they'd be slimming them down or teasing them with food to get them to fly - which you can hardly do when you're kids are locked up.  I wonder what they must think.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 20:00 by carly »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2009, 19:39 »
I don't know when the chicks are going to be released. Haven't been able to access the cam much for a couple of days, except when no chicks are visible.

They were out in the cage this evening as it was getting dark:

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2009, 17:10 »
Have been checking in on this site for the last couple of days because I thought they might have set the McGyver thing up on the door of the cage to release them. So far not, and maybe not for a couple of days. Weather is 100 degrees there today and high 90's tomorrow and thunderstorms in the forecast so it probably won't be a good time for release. They are certainly cage crazy, but should be ready for whatever they are destined to do in a couple of days. Would rather see them held back until it is safer.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2009, 21:22 »
Ditto what you said Carly. Hope it happens next year as well :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2009, 07:01 »
Lol...I love the expression on mom's face  ;D  Now I see where the kids get their expressive faces  :P 

I really hope next year they let them raise the chicks again instead of taking them away...they've done a great job this year and these three have been a joy to watch.. :)

Online sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2009, 22:28 »
Great pics! I can just imagine how fast they're going to be out of there once the cage is removed.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2009, 21:10 »
The three chicks had a really big meal this evening. Harriet took time to make sure they all got fed. The little guy is so small beside his sisters, but I did see him being fed.

All the food is gone . . .

The chicks stayed out of the nest box for only a couple of minutes before settling down for the night.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2009, 20:36 »
Great photos Alison....Great one of the adult feeding the young ones.  Obviously there is no problem feeding them through the bars.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2009, 19:55 »
There is an article on the Richmond chicks today in the Examiner:

http://www.examiner.com/x-19245-Exploring-Richmond-Examiner~y2009m8d6-The-Richmond-falcons-raise-a-new-brood

They are being well fed, through the bars:

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2009, 16:14 »
Alison, thanks for pics. The "little stinker" definitely doesn't want to be in this pen. Climbing walls already. To bad they didn't put a stick across the bars so they could perch and flap at the same time. I checked out the archives that they mentioned and they did have a bar/stick across at that time.
The boy and the smaller female seem to get along and she protects him somewhat against the bigger female. The big one is brutal. Even the smaller female seems to be wary of her. What a trio. :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 16:16 by LinderLou »

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2009, 07:56 »
Alison, thanks so much! I'll check these links out, and do appreciate the additional information -- I'm determined to know more about peregrines by the time next spring rolls around!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2009, 21:31 »
I've just started the book, but "hack-site attendant" sounds very much like what he's describing.

Saoirse, here are a couple of links with info and photos about hack boxes in the New River Gorge in Virginia, where the juvies from sites such as the James River Bridge and others spend time before being released.

http://www.tracwv.org/restoration3.html

http://www.tracwv.org/restoration1.html

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2009, 21:13 »
The reluctant residents:

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2009, 14:34 »
I've just started the book, but "hack-site attendant" sounds very much like what he's describing.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2009, 14:31 »
This is great -- I'm reading a book about a guy spending a season with peregrines and he keeps referring to "hack boxes" -- until now, I had no idea what that might be! Thanks, TPC!

Just a couple of notes, usually hack boxes are just that boxes and made of wood so that the birds didn't injure themselves or their feathers - metal bars tend to razz the feathers when the chicks run their feathers across the bars - wooden hack boxes use dowels instead of bars - same look but wider and tends not to do as much damage.  And the "guy" in your book is probably a "hack-site attendant", always thought that made us sound like peregrine butlers or valets  :D

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2009, 14:23 »
This is great -- I'm reading a book about a guy spending a season with peregrines and he keeps referring to "hack boxes" -- until now, I had no idea what that might be! Thanks, TPC!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2009, 12:17 »
What you are looking at is basically a hack box which is how all the projects released peregrines in the early years of the recovery efforts.  We used to wait until the birds were a few days beyond fledge date (45-50 days) then take the bars off and usually they stuck out their wings and were gone in minutes ... occasionally we would have a bird or two that would hang out for extended periods but they too would be gone shortly thereafter.  Had one bird that played solo "catch" with pebbles on the roof of a building for half a day before she finally took off.  The bars look wide enough for the parents to continue to feed the chicks since I can't see a feeding chute. 

Just looking at the fluff on the girls, I would say this time next week the bars could be off ...

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2009, 23:12 »
LinderLou, I think they will release all three chicks at the same time. I don't think it will harm the little male to wait a few days. He will just be a little stronger. He is really petite - so much smaller than his sisters.

He is one very lucky little chick to have been rescued from the street. It's a long way down from the top of that building, and he was not quite 32 days old. It's lucky someone herded him out of the traffic, and that the biologists got there quickly to rescue him. Since the wind was very gusty that day, I think he may well have been blown off the ledge.

They don't look happy about the cage, but they are much safer there for now:

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2009, 22:34 »
I will leave the haunting words behind. BUT can you answer this question
The male should definitely fledge before the females, so are they going to hold him back until the females are ready>
You really don't have to answer. Well my guess is yes and it probably do him good as he will be more ready in strength and not so reckless (well maybe a little bit less) as he has been. I still think he will be a rocket when that door opens.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2009, 22:01 »
Well he certainly had his adventure. However, the trip is over and not much happening now. I know this pen is probably good with the problems from this site before, but wonder if this is a really good site.
Our chicks had a minimal ledge to look at and we could see their little heads in a couple of weeks looking over. These chicks can't see over until they jump on the ledge and then what happens, they are over before their time. So this ledge is not typical.
The male should definitely fledge before the females, so are they going to hold him back until the females are ready?
Tracy always had an answer as to why the chicks didn't jump:

Unlike the edge of the nest-tray, they will never had an adult on the other side of the ledge wall tempting them out with food. They are also predisposed at this age to run away from the edge of the ledge if they can see down (keep in mind they can barely see over) - have you noticed they all sleep with their faces in the wall furthest away from the edge?
The other side of the coin is that if a chick was foolish enough to try to go over, those are perhaps not genes we want in our gene pool - we want birds with a little common sense i.e., peregrines are cliff-dwelling birds, chicks as a rule stay on ledge until they can fly, flying must wait for long brown feathers which 16-day-old chicks do not yet possess.

aaak, my words are coming back to haunt me  ;)  :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2009, 20:03 »
Hi Carly, I have actually seen himself be forceful in getting food. Parent seems to try to make sure all 3 get something. I think he has a pout on because he is not getting it dropped off just for him as he had when he was on his own on the ledge. So he can just pout ;)

Lol...aww my poor little boy... :-*  I always root for the underdog  ;)  I'm glad you've seen him eating, I was concerned...just rotten luck on my timing I guess!

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2009, 19:28 »
Hi Carly, I have actually seen himself be forceful in getting food. Parent seems to try to make sure all 3 get something. I think he has a pout on because he is not getting it dropped off just for him as he had when he was on his own on the ledge. So he can just pout ;)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2009, 19:04 »
Doesn't look like the boy is getting much food now that he's penned up with the cows...err I mean girls.  Twice I checked today and twice he's looking woefully out the bars of the cage as those two chow down. Perhaps he had the right idea running away after all  :-\

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2009, 18:21 »
Well he certainly had his adventure. However, the trip is over and not much happening now. I know this pen is probably good with the problems from this site before, but wonder if this is a really good site.

Our chicks had a minimal ledge to look at and we could see their little heads in a couple of weeks looking over. These chicks can't see over until they jump on the ledge and then what happens, they are over before their time. So this ledge is not typical.

The male should definitely fledge before the females, so are they going to hold him back until the females are ready?

Tracy always had an answer as to why the chicks didn't jump:

Unlike the edge of the nest-tray, they will never had an adult on the other side of the ledge wall tempting them out with food. They are also predisposed at this age to run away from the edge of the ledge if they can see down (keep in mind they can barely see over) - have you noticed they all sleep with their faces in the wall furthest away from the edge?

The other side of the coin is that if a chick was foolish enough to try to go over, those are perhaps not genes we want in our gene pool - we want birds with a little common sense i.e., peregrines are cliff-dwelling birds, chicks as a rule stay on ledge until they can fly, flying must wait for long brown feathers which 16-day-old chicks do not yet possess.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2009, 23:39 »
Well, what an adventure for "the little stinker"!  ;) Thanks for the updates!

Online sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2009, 22:33 »
Of course we're sane - it's everyone else that is questionable!  ;D

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2009, 18:02 »
Alison, after reading the story about "The Little Stinker" it makes me think that he was spotted at the nest box on the 31st, yesterday. After his adventure he was returned to the ledge and must have hung around for a bit and then made his way back to where he had been hiding out at the end of the ledge. That was where they found him this morning and decided not to take another chance that he would end up in the same situation again or worse.
So I don't think my mind was playing tricks on me or the other watchers on the BCAW forum. We are sane  ;) ;D ;) ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2009, 16:32 »
Wow...I went to check on them just now and saw the pen!  I'm so glad the little guy was unhurt and at least they are all together and safe now  :-\

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2009, 12:47 »
Well this time for sure the boy is back and what an experience he has had. Was rescued off the roadway after falling from the building.

Quite the story, check it out on  http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=37

They have installed a pen on the nest ledge to keep them secure until fledge time.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 12:57 by LinderLou »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2009, 20:35 »
It's getting hard to tell who is who at this nest - they are all changing so fast now. I don't know where the boy is today.

Online sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2009, 17:29 »
Thanks for the news about the boy, Linderlou. I can see why they dubbed him "the stinker"  ;D

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2009, 17:26 »
Thought The Boy was back :-[

Cancelled apparently false alarm, it's one of the girls again.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 17:31 by LinderLou »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2009, 19:13 »
Talk about a falconwaddlefaceplant walk  ::)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2009, 18:35 »
Yup just saw the photo evidence..now I believe he is okay!  Still dont' quite understand how he likes being on his own at such a young age when he's got 2 sisters to hang out with but perhaps he's the 'loner' one in the group  ;)

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2009, 18:23 »
Good news. The boy was spotted on the ledge and was up and down from what he was climbing on and apparently with no problems. Check into BCAW for more info. He is safe and sound and being a really stinker ;D ;D ;D

Quote from obxbarb who watched him for an hour

I can tell you that our little stinker is definitely not stuck! I was down there for an hour. I saw him pop up four times, two of them he scampered down the top ledge. He was giving me a heart attack!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 18:29 by LinderLou »

Online sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2009, 17:48 »
Yep, that was me - climbing before I was walking. Always climbing trees and then Dad would have to come rescue me 'cause I couldn't get down. I understand that little guy's problem!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2009, 14:28 »
I don't think he can get back otherwise he would have come back at night.  They like to cuddle up together at night time, my guess is he's stuck up there.  Remember being a kid and you climbed up something and then once there realized you can't get down without jumping and hurting yourself?

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2009, 14:07 »
Tks for pics of the girls. I certainly hope they don't follow the trail of the boy and end up out of view. This seems very odd that a young one would take off so early and not return to the nest box. Although maybe he finds it nice being fed by Mom and Dad and not having to share. I wish they could get some news or pics from the person who spotted him on the ledge. That would certainly put minds at rest. IE also konks out on me with this site. I sure hope he starts making his way back to others soon.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2009, 18:21 »
Thank you for the update, LinderLou and Carly! I can't believe the little guy is up on the edge of the ledge! I'm glad the DGIF people are keeping track of what is happening. I hope the chick gets back down from there soon.

Now the nest box is empty (or it was before the site crashed again). This cam is not compatible with IE for some reason - supposedly it works fine in Firefox. It didn't crash nearly as often in previous years.

A few pics of the two females before they disappeared from view:

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2009, 17:31 »
Ha!  Just read the update and was coming here to post..I knew my spider sense wasn't tingling for nothing.  Update and photo with arrows of his location. 

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2009, 17:26 »
Well it turns out the one they spotted is not the male. It was the female. They explain it on the BCAW site. I don't have the link but I think it was posted last page or one before.

Message from VDGIF Wildlife Biologist @ 4.32 PM.

A local falcon watcher with a vantage point from a nearby office building has made a positive sighting of our wandering chick. The young male was seen perched atop the parapet (raised edge of the ledge) at the furthest point possible from the nest box.

This relatively precarious position underscores our decision not to access the ledge in search of the "missing" chick. Any disturbance might have startled the young bird into jumping, resulting in an unfortunate conclusion. It is somewhat surprising to find the young male up on the edge at this age but there are some structures present (lights, fixtures etc.) that might have given him a leg up, so to speak.

As we suspected the young bird has simply taken advantage of the spacious ledge to explore its surroundings. The observer noted at least one of the parents attending to the young male. Given the fact that his sisters are so much larger then he - remaining on his own might offer some relief in competing for food. Should he choose to, he'll be able to make his way back to the nest box.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 17:36 by LinderLou »

Online sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2009, 15:07 »
Carly - I'm right beside you worrying. How else are we going to make things turn out right?

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2009, 14:36 »
Definitaly a little guy carly and cute as can be, ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2009, 14:33 »
carly....  "you worry too much"   :-*

Heh...happy to be wrong and worried in this case...!  I can't see the photos at work, they are blocked so there better be a little guy there when I get home  :P

I'm happy about Bai Yun and now this good news..it's a good day!

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2009, 14:27 »
carly....  "you worry too much"   :-*

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2009, 14:06 »
They found him he looks fine.  At  BCAW there are a couple pictures page 38
http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1173&start=555&mforum=peregrinefalcon
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 21:56 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2009, 12:16 »
The chick would still come back to the nestbox at night.  The parents generally keep them in one area to protect them from predators which is harder to do if they are out in the open and separated so I'm afraid i'm not convinced. So no relaxing here but I am keeping an open mind.  If they were older ok but at 3.5 weeks...I'm skeptical, will feel better when I see his little head and then you can all say I worry too much  :P

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2009, 12:08 »
Well the picture of the ledge sure helped visualize the area. Glad it is not as big an area as I first read, that they could go around the building. The boy is probably enjoying not having to fight over food with his big sisters. Although I am surprised he didn't head back to nest box at night. Positive thoughts that all is well and that he will eventually reappear.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2009, 11:40 »
Thanks for posting that. These chicks have a playground up there. It's always hard to get the big picture when you are thousands of miles away. For example, I had no idea what Bev was talking about until I downloaded a map of the Edmonton site. It's a lot easier now.

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2009, 09:42 »
that's a big ledge!  so even if the camera is seen panning about, it really is a very small fraction of the available space.  thanks for the link!

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2009, 09:39 »
Thanks Kittenface, that should make some worried people relax.

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2009, 09:36 »
This might help ease your minds an  update from the site

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2009, 07:05 »
Still only two of them, they've been fed as well and no sign of the little boy  :'( :'( 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2009, 05:13 »
6:12 am EST and I see two chicks preening.  The cam is only focused on part of the nest box so can't see if another could be there.  But the remaining two are velcroed together.

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2009, 00:05 »
nonewsisgoodnewsnonewsisgoodnewsnonewsi sgoodnews

Online sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2009, 22:48 »
Probably too much to hope for that they could have been taking turns hiding under the ramp - though if someone could see the bands and it was the same two out all the time, that guess won't fly. Just where could he have disappeared to?????

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2009, 20:21 »
I think if he had been under the ramp he would have come out to be fed . . . :(

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2009, 20:07 »
I hope the other one is under that ramp....just chillin' out  :-\

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2009, 20:06 »
I was so hoping you'd say 'right Carly',he's under that ramp and yes I agree it seems strange.  Not often you see a young one miss all his meals like that especially in that heat, they need to stay hydrated.  And to not be in the nestbox with his siblings at dusk is strange too...the parents would want them all in one place to watch over them..

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2009, 19:57 »
I hope someone knows where the little guy is, and that he is okay. This just doesn't feel right.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2009, 19:52 »
It's dark there now and parent is standing guard on the ledge of building over the nestbox.  She seems calm so perhaps they know where he is..

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2009, 19:34 »
Yes that's what it was Alison.  I wasn't sure what that white thing was and they were on it for so long...I admit it had me concerned. 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2009, 19:29 »
Ok I looked, why did I go look.  They seem to have the cam on a big cable that looks like some sort of power cable going into an electrical box and there is a big blob of fuzz laying on it but not moving.  COuld be my eyes and this cam crashes my ie all the time but please tell me that's not an electrocuted chick laying on the cable and it's just something on the cam.

I'm not sure what you're looking at, Carly - the cam crashes every few seconds for me - but could it be this?

If so, I don't think it's anything except a blob of some kind. I wonder why someone hasn't gone up to check on the chicks, unless access is a problem.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2009, 18:53 »
Yes apparently they can go around the building on this site. Got this from the Richmond site. It does look like a ball of white fluff under the whatever it is, but doesn't mean that anything is wrong. We will have to have patience and see what happens. Apparently a 3rd chick was spotted at 4:15.

Maybe not...one chick keeps looking like two  :-\
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 18:55 by carly »

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2009, 18:44 »
Yes apparently they can go around the building on this site. Got this from the Richmond site. It does look like a ball of white fluff under the whatever it is, but doesn't mean that anything is wrong. We will have to have patience and see what happens. Apparently a 3rd chick was spotted at 4:15.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2009, 18:33 »
Not sure Alison but from reading BCAW, they've been panning the roof all day looking for him.  He's not been seen even at feedings and I think they can go all the way around on that rooftop but dont' quote me on that.  Someone did notify them that the little boy hasn't been seen since yesterday.

Online sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2009, 18:23 »
Can't get a clear enough look at what is where to be able to tell what exactly I'm looking at. How would the chick get up on the cable (can't tell if there's walk-up access)? Any chance it just might be under the ramp, where they seemed to go before? I'm just trying to come up with other options, no matter how far out.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2009, 18:02 »
Ok I looked, why did I go look.  They seem to have the cam on a big cable that looks like some sort of power cable going into an electrical box and there is a big blob of fuzz laying on it but not moving.  COuld be my eyes and this cam crashes my ie all the time but please tell me that's not an electrocuted chick laying on the cable and it's just something on the cam.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2009, 16:26 »
After further watching, someone said the ledge goes all around the building. So the little feller might have decided to go on a walk about and hasn't made it home yet. At least the parents can keep track of him if he did this and feed him if necessary. Very interesting site.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2009, 16:12 »
Have been watching the Richmond Forum and the webcam. Apparently they think the male chick is missing. They have doing scams of the ledge but have not spotted him. It is apparently a hot day there, so he may have found a good place to cool off. Certainly am thinking positive about that one. :)

Online sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2009, 22:46 »
Super pictures! Thanks for the link, carly.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2009, 20:09 »
The banding photos from Libby Mojica at CCBRaptors are great! Love the chick in the cardboard box, the pic of all three, and the ones of the parents.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2009, 18:16 »
Tuned into the site just after they were returned to the nest. They mainly seemed to want to huddle together, I guess because of those humans they had to endure. It was so cute when Harriet came in and they seemed to be showing their bling off to her and telling her what happened. I love the picture of the female chick in the cardboard box after banding. What a ham!  It was really nice to see the pictures of the banding and so happy all went well.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2009, 16:44 »
The chicks here were banded today - we have a boy and 2 girls.  BCAW has some pictures of the banding posted by CCBRaptors if you want to have a look.  There is a great shot of the three little amigos back in the box after getting their bling and you just want to hug them...they are adorable!!  And wicked shots of mum and dad defending!

Here is the link to the page, just scroll down a bit:
www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1173&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=405&mforum=peregrinefalcon

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2009, 10:59 »
Carly, I think the facial expressions are what drew me to watching this site. Have had quite a few chuckles watching these three.

Kittenface, will the work being done on Monday before banding really stress the chicks and parents out. Are the workers going to be right on the ledge?

Anyway, I hope all goes well and nothing bad happens.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2009, 20:15 »
These guys have the greatest facial expressions I've ever seen..just can't get enough of them  ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 20:04 »
It seemed to be hot there today, but all three chicks were wandering around:

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2009, 15:03 »
Update

The necessary equipment for installation of the safety system on the nesting ledge will not be in place in time for tomorrow's scheduled work.

The safety system is now scheduled to be installed on Monday morning - after which the banding will take place as planned.

posted by VDGIF Wildlife Biologist at 4:05 PM
Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2009, 09:39 »
I completely agree Alison!!  :)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2009, 23:52 »
"Due to the nest failures of the last two years, the lateness of this year’s brood and to reinforce the pair’s attachment to the Riverfront Plaza nest site, we have decided to leave all the chicks at the nestbox site to fledge naturally this year. We are hopeful that the spaciousness of the ledge, the relative abundance of shade and protected nature of this site will result in their successful fledging in mid-August."
Alison this should make you happy. ;D ;D ;D ;D

It does, LinderLou! I am glad the chicks will be allowed to fledge and stay with the parents to learn all the skills they will need in the wild.

I do understand the reasons for removing chicks from certain sites, such as the James River Bridge, where the danger of drowning while attempting to fledge is high, but whenever possible, I think it's better to leave them with their parents.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2009, 23:49 »
Your second photo Alison - one chick on the left, two chicks noses-to-toeses on the right ...
And since they can belly-crawl under that ramp, I'm not surprised you frequently can't find all three of the little darlings!!

Oh, you're absolutely right, TPC! And they do like to disappear under the ramp.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2009, 16:39 »
Got caught up on the news from the site today. Banding is to be Monday July 27/09. Good news also,

Due to the nest failures of the last two years, the lateness of this year’s brood and to reinforce the pair’s attachment to the Riverfront Plaza nest site, we have decided to leave all the chicks at the nestbox site to fledge naturally this year. We are hopeful that the spaciousness of the ledge, the relative abundance of shade and protected nature of this site will result in their successful fledging in mid-August.

Alison this should make you happy. ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 16:42 by LinderLou »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2009, 03:09 »
Hadn't seen the chicks at all over the weekend; they're all out of the nest now. I only saw two at any one time, but I know all three were there.

Your second photo Alison - one chick on the left, two chicks noses-to-toeses on the right ...
And since they can belly-crawl under that ramp, I'm not surprised you frequently can't find all three of the little darlings!!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2009, 21:25 »
Hadn't seen the chicks at all over the weekend; they're all out of the nest now. I only saw two at any one time, but I know all three were there.

Then this message appeared on the screen: now it's gone again.  ???

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2009, 17:27 »
Love the close-up view - these chicks are at the 'hilarious' age now -  ;D......but being soooooooo spoiled by our live uninterrupted falcon cam in Wpg - it's hard to get used to the refresh, even if it is only 2 seconds apart!  :-\!

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2009, 15:15 »
Alison thanks for the great shots of these chicks. Watched the cam for awhile yesterday, and one of them sure does have an interest in that ramp. Won't be long if it hasn't already happened. Haven't checked in yet today.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2009, 22:44 »
They are indeed very very cute!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2009, 22:24 »
These three really are so cute! I didn't realize how much they had grown until Harriet arrived to feed them and I could see how much bigger they look beside her. They are really well fed. After the feeding, Harriet came back again for a moment to give a little more food to the chick who had been in the left corner.

The chicks are already looking at the ramp with a whole lot of interest.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2009, 12:31 »
Couldn't agree more Linderlou... :D

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2009, 03:21 »
Kittenface, Carly and Allikat, these chicks are just a pleasure to watch, their expressions are just so darn cute and they got the personalites. Awwwwwww!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:22 by LinderLou »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2009, 22:06 »
They are just so darn cute!!!   :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2009, 19:58 »
I love this bunch too, they are some of the most animated little chicks I've ever watched on cam..such personalities.   ;D

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2009, 19:25 »

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2009, 12:54 »
It's the token...wait for it:
Head tilt, say awwww and have a happy silly grin on our faces  :P

How true this is. Have been watching these 3 for 1/2 hr and got a crink in my neck and sore face from smiling. They are so darn cute. The 2 smaller ones were trying to have a nap and the bigger one wasn't ready yet, so of course had to keep bugging the little ones. After 10 minutes or so gave up and laid down.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 13:03 by LinderLou »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2009, 20:49 »
It's the token...wait for it:
Head tilt, say awwww and have a happy silly grin on our faces  :P

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2009, 20:44 »
Checked in on this site again. Sleep time on cam but on the forum it was so funny looking at the pictures of the chicks and the bubble captions over their heads. These chicks have the cutest and silliest grins on their little faces. Makes you just smile.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2009, 11:57 »
Decided to check this site out. The chicks were sleeping but checked into Birds Around The World Cam for Richmond Forum thread from July 9 on and found some really cute pics of the chicks.  They sure don't have much down as you can see their pink skin and when there crops are full they are really bulging. Too cute! Apparently sometimes the view is hard to see because of spider webs, that is what people on the forum said.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2009, 23:26 »
Okay Alison, that top photo in post # 38, the face on that chick is one only a mother  could love  :o ... and that from someone who thinks they are all cute regardless of age/stage!!

I happen to think they are cute at every age and stage too!  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2009, 16:43 »
Okay Alison, that top photo in post # 38, the face on that chick is one only a mother  could love  :o ... and that from someone who thinks they are all cute regardless of age/stage!!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2009, 11:29 »
Oh they are just so sweet..

I forgot what the token, "head tilt, goofy grin and awwwww", was like there for a minute.   :-*

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2009, 23:34 »
They are just so sweet.   :-*

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2009, 23:19 »
I'm so glad to see the chicks hatching here. There was a pip visible in the fourth egg later.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2009, 16:03 »
Yeah the little one is still sorta wet lol but yup 3 c hicks and one egg and one proud momma!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 16:00 »
3 babies, 1 egg and a proud mama now  :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2009, 13:29 »
Oh, oh hatching right now..kicking his way out!!  Nooooooooo...parent comes and covers them...gah!!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2009, 13:24 »
Back home and just checked on this site and I may see a beak pecking it's way out on one of the remaining eggs  :o

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 15:24 »
1 little one one coming out and parents

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 15:06 »
 :-*  :-*  :-*

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 15:05 »
I know and it is absolutely wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 15:01 »
I just can't get over how close it is, it's like we're in the nestbox with them  :D

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 14:56 »
All pink and wet lol

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 14:49 »
Now Dad is standing, the egg is in the way but you can see the little one from time to time.

Omg the little one is out!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 14:47 »
We have a 2nd hatchling lol Dad just hustled it under him lol

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 14:45 »
Omg come on little one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 14:43 »
oh my goodness we have quite the crack around the egg, omg, dad is helping him!

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 14:41 »
Dad just arrived lol

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 14:37 »
Here is a different link, bigger and closer ...

http://www.ccb.wm.edu/vafalcons/falconcam/falconcam_richmond1.htm

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 14:34 »
Heh..that second egg is moving quite well..should be hatching any minute now!  Someone wants out  :P

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 14:29 »
Yeah I can see the pip and I saw the shell move a bit1 YIPEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 14:23 »
It is...just checked the temp.
31 degrees + humidex = 34 degrees celcius  :P

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 14:17 »
Man she is unsettled. It must be hot there too.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 13:46 »
Yes there is a big pip on another but then she shuffled around and you can't see it but it's there..lol...nice close up of her feathers and her face too!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 13:43 »
Just caught the chick hatching.... :-* :-*
I also thought I saw another pip on another egg.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 13:39 »
Play the video on the note for today, if you look very very closely, you can see the chicks moving through the pips - its very tiny movments but they are there ...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 13:38 »
Aww..she's talking to them .... this is so cool!  Great cam operator!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 13:33 »
First hatch and cam is zoomed right in on the newborn!!!  Go check it out if you can, it's the closest close up I've ever seen!!!  Looks like number 2 hatching too, pip!!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 21:28 »
Thanks for the link Alison... ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 21:26 »
It's hard to tell - the cam was down for a while today. According to the biologists, there is no sign of a pip so far.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 21:16 »
3rd & 4th pic just looked like a pip, but it could be a down feather from Dad. 
Thanks for the updates Alison!!!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 21:12 »
I'm not quite sure which egg you mean, Allikat? In the second last pic, there is a small whitish mark on the middle egg in front. I'm not sure, but I think it is a small piece of a down feather. In the pic below, there is a slight mark on the second egg from the left:

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 20:56 »
Looked like a pip on that one egg, front and centre??  Maybe?

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 20:48 »
Dad, Ozzie, was on the eggs again today. Still no sign of a pip, although Ozzie was extremely restless and constantly checking the eggs and listening.

A different way to incubate in the first pic:

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 18:58 »
I can't wait to see more little white fluffy cute sweet chicks!  ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 17:47 »
These eggs should be fairly close to hatching. Dad is on the eggs in the pics below: no sign of a pip yet. It must still be hot in Richmond today.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 18:57 »
She's gorgeous!  Love her expressions  :D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 18:49 »
Incubating the four eggs. It must be hot in Richmond today:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 21:01 »
Thank you, TPC, for the response! I hope the falcons will have success this year. Last year all the babies died within a day or so of hatching.

Apparently Richmond is not the only late nest this year. Stellar and Stammy in Youngstown, Ohio, have eggs which are not expected to hatch until the second or third week of July.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 23:49 »
This is really late to start a clutch. TPC, what do you think the chances are for this nest to be successful?

Producing viable eggs at this time of the year is no different from earlier, and there is no reason that any chicks that hatch won't make it successfully all the way to fledging.  The only drawback is that the chicks don't have as much time to learn/practice all the things they need to know prior to migration.  Now because these birds are in Virginia, they have more time than we do here in Winnipeg and the chicks could technically over-winter there with greater ease than here.  So I can't give you chances I'm afraid, but no reason to expect the worst ...

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 00:13 »
gosh, I hope it is.  That beak means Business!   :o

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
VA / Richmond - Riverfront Plaza - 2009-22
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 00:10 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

The falcon pair in Richmond, Virginia attempted to return to their former nest site (2003-2005) this year, but without success. One broken egg was found at that site.

They finally returned to the nest box which they have used since that time. The first egg was laid on May 24, and additional eggs were laid on May 26/27, May 28/29, and May 31.

This is really late to start a clutch. TPC, what do you think the chances are for this nest to be successful?

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/falconcam2008/