Author Topic: American Kestrels - Italy / Birdcam (Rebecca)  (Read 19808 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: American Kestrels - Italy / Birdcam (Rebecca)
« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2009, 23:22 »
On the question of what might have happened to Nembo . . . he might indeed have encountered a predator. It is not impossible for that predator to be a peregrine, although it is not common.

A few years ago at Rochester, there was a family of kestrels fairly close to Mariah and Kaver's nest. The kestrels used to buzz the falcons, who ignored them. However, one day the male kestrel was buzzing Kaver, and Kaver suddenly turned in mid-air and caught him.  :( Poor little kestrel. Mariah and the babies wanted Kaver to share his prey, but he would not.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2009, 23:13 »
I was so happy to see the photos of little Alphonse. I hope all the little ones will continue to be fed and thrive, and that Rebecca will be able to care for them all.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2009, 22:31 »
Thankyou for your reply. They are expending money and staff now and is it really going to help. It would seem that once you intervene in Mother's Nature's Way for one that the others would deserve the same. If they had been in the wild, none of them would have survived. It is the way of Nature.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2009, 21:25 »
And it's a good opinion, it crossed my mind and probably everyone elses too.  Not sure what kind of facilities, funding, staff or laws they would have to help/prohibit that kind of thing there.  I know they took out the wee chick but he would have died had they not intervened.  Worth looking into though even if it's just for information sake.   

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2009, 20:56 »
Would have quoted this reply but not sure how to do this. Going back to Page 3 of this and Reply #44, and as was mentioned the amount of feedings these hatchlings need, it would seem that they are not going to be able to keep up with this catering. The mother is constantly putting herself in danger trying to provide food and tend to young and apparently from Reply #44 require attention from both parents in order to learn how to survive. One is safe, would it not be kinder to other 4 and the mother too pull them from the nest. Chances so far for survival do not look good. Only an opinion.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2009, 20:39 »
Oh My Gosh!!!!!!!! 

Little Alphonso is sooooo cute.  I just want to  :-* him all over..The pic. in the sock is absolutely priceless.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2009, 20:09 »
Hehe..they posted more pics of little Alphonse being fed, and scroll down a bit more for one of him sleeping in a sock...sooo cute!!  I'm so happy he was rescued and so impressed at how well taken care of he is...I know it's not an easy job!

http://www.birdcam.it/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4125&start=90

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2009, 18:04 »
No sign of cam for me but saw a SS from someone over in Italy and a few angry but polite posts because no food has been delivered and Rebecca is not having much luck with hunting. 

They don't want to leave too much food because it will attract predators..quite understandable indeed as a nest with 4 defenseless chicks would be a field day for someone.  Apparently they had left food outside somewhere for her but she didn't trust it and didn't go near it.  All I can translate so far!

More importantly, Rebecca won't eat food that isn't fresh.  Leaving more than she can go through in a day or so could put her off the offerings, even though she needs it.  And it would be a case of trusted, that isn't where her mate would leave it for her so no reason for her to think it is safe/fresh.  Its a dicey operation, hit-miss in fact ...

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2009, 14:51 »
I hope all will be okay...
I wish the cam was online so we could see but...maybe tomorrow  :)

Thanks for the update Carly ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2009, 14:23 »
No sign of cam for me but saw a SS from someone over in Italy and a few angry but polite posts because no food has been delivered and Rebecca is not having much luck with hunting. 

They don't want to leave too much food because it will attract predators..quite understandable indeed as a nest with 4 defenseless chicks would be a field day for someone.  Apparently they had left food outside somewhere for her but she didn't trust it and didn't go near it.  All I can translate so far!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2009, 12:25 »
LOL...I was attempting to make it a PG-13 comment  ;D
hence the WT?

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2009, 12:19 »
I doubt that the word nelly would be used :o. Something a bit stronger perhaps

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2009, 11:28 »
Isn't that called labor of love TPC?? ;)

Its called something ... I called it something else as the wind was blowing up my tailfeathers on the roof at 2am ...  :P
Let me guess...more like oh nelly...What the?

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2009, 11:22 »
Isn't that called labor of love TPC?? ;)

Its called something ... I called it something else as the wind was blowing up my tailfeathers on the roof at 2am ...  :P

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2009, 11:14 »
Can't see what's happening with Rebecca's family...cam seems to be out or something...I'll keep checking.