Author Topic: QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19  (Read 30451 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Montreal - 2011 / Roger & Spirit
« Reply #218 on: June 06, 2011, 19:51 »
Yikes! Drama is right! I cannot imagine what it might be like to observe an encounter between a bald eagle and a peregrine falcon! :o

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #217 on: June 06, 2011, 14:01 »
Drama here yesterday.  A bald eagle flew into Roger's and Spirit's territory; Spirit was the first to notice, and took off after it, attacking it repeatedly; then, within seconds, Roger came racing in like a jet fighter and joined the battle.  The eagle did its best to defend itself and turned over to reveal its claws to its attackers.  This did not bother the falcons, who kept on him and chased him out in short order.  I sure hope he is o.k.; no one wants to see a bird just flying through have to suffer a injury.

Meanwhile, the chicks are fine, and Eve expects them to fledge within a couple of days or so.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2011, 11:06 »
I snuck a quick peak at our female foursome, who are a month old now.  They just completely fill up the nestbox, and moving about - well, there just isn't enough room, they can hardly turn around.  Much more time will be spent outside soon, where they will have room to stretch those wings.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #215 on: May 30, 2011, 21:17 »
I just left the Brandon site, and what a difference there is here.  These four females are sleeping soundly, bunched so close together they look like a fluffy blanket.  I wish some of this comfort for the Brandon falcons.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #214 on: May 30, 2011, 12:20 »
I am so glad that Spirit is a feisty chick, as you pointed out, Bev.  I did not see her attack anyone when I looked at the video, she was just making a huge racket and she looked fit to kill, but what I saw was more talk than action.  Anyway, maybe because she remembers this banding procedure from previous years, she did not want to launch a big offense and risk injury for something she knows will not be harmful to the chicks.  I think Roger is perhaps a tad more laid back, but they are both so experienced, and I am very happy they are passing on their good genes to their offspring.

Offline 2kawaii

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #213 on: May 28, 2011, 21:44 »
Are they worried about bird cooties ?

Could be.

There was an article in the paper a couple of months ago about a girl in Fredericton who they figure contracted a serious fungul disease cryptococcal meningitis from local pigeon.  A found a link about this here http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/rss/article/1400697

Might have to do with urban falcon diet of Flying K-D? I don't know if falcons can be carriers of this disease or if its fatal to them or how prevalent this disease in in pigeons.  Maybe TPC knows?? ???

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #212 on: May 28, 2011, 21:33 »
Wow!  What was with the breathing apparatus?   :o   I've seen chicks being banded at other sites, but never like that. It was as if they (the banders) didn't want to get contaminated or something. Again Wow!! 

Could be a location near a pigeon roost colony - breathing aparatus is a requirement if it is.  Histoplasmosis isn't something anyone wants to play around with!

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
« Reply #211 on: May 28, 2011, 20:57 »
What the fluff ?

Are they worried about bird cooties ?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #210 on: May 28, 2011, 10:53 »
Spirit was in rare form. She clipped one of the banders a few times. she would not get out of box to let them in...
So her name certainly suits her! ;)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #209 on: May 27, 2011, 21:50 »
Maybe that's why they had that gear on,  nobody wants to get gouged by their talons. OUCH!!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #208 on: May 27, 2011, 21:43 »
Spirit was in rare form. She clipped one of the banders a few times. she would not get out of box to let them in. I was watching. They used net at one time to shoo her out.

but i would rather have them feisty than not.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #207 on: May 27, 2011, 20:11 »
Kinda reminded me of the movie "Outbreak" with Dustin Hoffman & Renee Russo! :o

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #206 on: May 27, 2011, 19:59 »
Wow!  What was with the breathing apparatus?   :o   I've seen chicks being banded at other sites, but never like that. It was as if they (the banders) didn't want to get contaminated or something. Again Wow!! 

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #205 on: May 27, 2011, 17:43 »
The chicks are banded, and, to everyone's surprise, it looks like four females!  Here are their names and weights:

Kaya, E81 - 710g
Isis, E82 (rouge) - 760g
Eva, E83 (vert) - 785g
Zoé, E84 (jaune) - 750g

There is a video of the banding on the web site.
Here is a link to the banding Elaine  8)
http://youtu.be/cmen_rPXdl8

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #204 on: May 27, 2011, 17:05 »
The chicks are banded, and, to everyone's surprise, it looks like four females!  Here are their names and weights:

Kaya, E81 - 710g
Isis, E82 (rouge) - 760g
Eva, E83 (vert) - 785g
Zoé, E84 (jaune) - 750g

There is a video of the banding on the web site.