Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19

<< < (12/56) > >>

Elaine L:
Eve has given us an update (from Friday, July 15) on her blog.  The falcon chicks are learning how to hunt and catch their prey, and are putting on some spectacular shows around the Montreal campus.  Spirit is dropping food, and the chicks are racing to catch it, so they are learning all the right things from their parents.  There are also some great photos, by Richard Dupuis, of these exchanges.  Here is Eve's blog address where you can view the photos:  http://fauconsudem.blogspot.com/

RCF:
That's good news Elaine.

Elaine L:
The latest info on this site:  The young falcons are flying and returning to the nestbox without incident, and have been enjoying playing with each other and with mom.  They are chasing after her and taking prey from her talons, and just generally enjoying their new-found flying abilities. 

I wish all our falcon chicks could do as well as these four fledgings, who surely have been blessed to learn to fly in the City without major problems (at least so far)!   

Elaine L:
We have four males here.  The reasons for the confusion were feet size and weight:  all four had what appeared to be male feet, but female weight.  Now they know for sure.  The names of the four boys are: Tawodi, E81; Rick, E82 (red); Éole, E83 (green); Altius, E84 (yellow).

Tawodi made his maiden voyage this morning, and landed at the chapel; his mom tried to help him get back up to the nestbox, and he tried twice, but just could not make it, so he is spending the night on top of another building he landed on.  The other three also flew very short distances, and were able to return to the nestbox.  All are doing fine under the watchful eyes of their parents.

Here is a photo of Tawoidi:

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h343/Eli-oop/Montrealfalcon.jpg[/img]]

Elaine L:
Now it looks like they have 3 males and 1 female here, so I don't know what happened before when they banded them, except, I guess, sometimes it is hard to tell.  Anyway, their fledge watch begins this weekend, and they have a number of people who have committed time to this, so that is good.  It looks like the action starts on the ground on Friday.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version