Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19

<< < (48/56) > >>

Elaine L:
Well, Polly is still around, and it seems that her parents cannot convince her to leave, but from what Eve says on this site, if my understanding of the French is correct, Polly can possibly turn into a first-rate babysitter, when the chicks are hatched.  So, although there is still worry and concern about Polly's behavior, she may eventually be a welcome addition to chick-sitting duties.

carly:
More drama here today.  Eve has a new video up, polly forced her mom off the eggs and out of the nestbox today and prevented dad from coming in.  Eggs were uncovered for an hour - fortunately it was 23c outside so that should be ok.  Finally mom came in and took over.

Not going to end good if they don't Polly under control.

carly:

--- Quote from: sami on April 01, 2010, 22:56 ---Wouldn't imagine birds could get expressions on their faces, but they certainly do. Is there any danger Polly would damage the eggs?

--- End quote ---

She could accidently step on them for sure and I agree the expressions were what got me!  

YOu have to wonder if they don't sense something about Polly that is not obvious to us as they are extremely patient and tolerant of her.  Eve has seen her chasing prey but not seen her actually catch anything so perhaps she truly couldn't survive on her own is what I mean.  Maybe that is why they are hesitant to push her out?  It sure is an interesting situation to study.

sami:
Wouldn't imagine birds could get expressions on their faces, but they certainly do. Is there any danger Polly would damage the eggs?

carly:
Lol..Polly is back today after an absence of a few days.  She promptly bullies a parent out of the nestbox and examines the eggs - love the expression on her face...great video of the episode.  Eggs are intact and dad back on eggs by the end! 

http://fauconsudem.blogspot.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version