Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19

<< < (47/56) > >>

Alison:
I really liked the photos Eve posted of Polly and Roger in the nest box together. They look so peaceful.

Incubating today:

Elaine L:
Gosh, having these webcams is just the beginning of what scientists can learn about falcons.  Before, alot of what they studied was observation when possible, conjecture, and past studies; now, the technology is doing something good, I think, in opening up a world of falcon behavior.  This can make such a big difference to our knowledge base, I hope for the benefit of our birds of prey!

carly:
I've been researching some falcon studies papers and I came across something last night that indicates that this situation may be more common than previously believed.  A group of biologists did a study on it recently and I read a synopsis on their published findings.  Apparently this type of thing may occur more often than believed however due to lack of observation - it's not being documented as much.  Their current findings suggest about 3% of all raptor species may be nesting in 'trios'.  Some they found are young that have delayed dispersal and in some cases they found a subadult that wasn't related to the breeding pair! 

This last point is interesting because the first 'Angel' at my site that showed up a decade ago kind of invited herself into the nestbox of the existing pair at the time and was tolerated for quite awhile and then the next spring the resident female vanished never to be seen again and was replaced by the young upstart 'Angel'.  At the time of course they didn't have the webcams so no one knows what really happened, did she end up battling the female in the end or did the resident female meet another fate and the subadult took over.

It's quite fascinating and obviously the Montreal situation gives them an opportunity to study a situation on cam.  From what I read their report was based on observations in the wild.

Elaine L:
Well, I guess this threesome have worked it out; but, it is not very often you see two falcons resting in the nestbox with the eggs!  Somehow, Polly has managed to make herself accepted, and so we have three falcons taking care of these eggs.  I hope when the chicks are hatched, that Polly continues to be cooperative and helpful to her very understanding parents.

bev.:
Yes, yesterday they wre all learning to get around each other. Hope this keeps up.
but not good for next year, I would think. But one step at a time

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version