Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19

<< < (4/56) > >>

Alison:

--- Quote from: The Peregrine Chick on November 23, 2017, 12:05 ---Saving Spirit
CBC Short Docs documentary

Click on photo
(I had a bit of trouble accessing the video ... just as an FYI)

In June 2017, peregrine falcon Spirit was badly injured.

Another female falcon had been nesting Spirit’s eggs in her absence. When Spirit returned, she attacked the intruder — and the entire fight was caught on camera.

After the fight, Spirit disappeared. She was only spotted again in August, seemingly on the verge of death. Birdwatcher Christian Fritschi rescued Spirit and brought her to Union québécoise de réhabilitation des oiseaux de proie (UQROP), a prey bird clinic in Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec.

Spirit is the mother of Algo and Polly, featured in the short documentary Algo, Polly & Turcot.

source:  http://www.cbc.ca/shortdocs/blog/saving-spirit
youtube video:

--- End quote ---

The video would not play for me in any of the usual browsers, but I just tried it in Opera, a browser I don't normally use, and it played on the first try.

The other female, Eve, had not been "nesting Spirit’s eggs in her absence". She simply wanted the eggs gone, and had also forced Spirit to abandon her eggs the previous year.

The Peregrine Chick:
Saving Spirit
CBC Short Docs documentary

Click on photo
(I had a bit of trouble accessing the video ... just as an FYI)

In June 2017, peregrine falcon Spirit was badly injured.

Another female falcon had been nesting Spirit’s eggs in her absence. When Spirit returned, she attacked the intruder — and the entire fight was caught on camera.

After the fight, Spirit disappeared. She was only spotted again in August, seemingly on the verge of death. Birdwatcher Christian Fritschi rescued Spirit and brought her to Union québécoise de réhabilitation des oiseaux de proie (UQROP), a prey bird clinic in Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec.

Spirit is the mother of Algo and Polly, featured in the short documentary Algo, Polly & Turcot.

source:  http://www.cbc.ca/shortdocs/blog/saving-spirit
youtube video: 

burdi:
Thankfully UQROP was able to restore Spirit’s health - she looks incredible!

I cannot bear to see Spirit injured and starving again, so I just hope she will stay well wherever she's inclined to go. Fly strong and free, Spirit!

The release photos by Christian Fritschi are beautiful. Thank you for the update, Alison.

Alison:
Spirit has been released. She looks very beautiful and in great condition. It is clear that she has received the very best of care at UQROP. Stay safe, beloved Spirit.

Spirit was indeed returned to freedom today, November 19, 2017, as the first snowflakes of winter arrived at Chouette à voir! It was a hard working volunteer who assists in the transport of injured birds of prey, Roger Rousselle, who carried out this release after having made a donation to UQROP to help pay for the cost of her care. We reached almost 20,000 people with the announcement of this release. Imagine how much this would help UQROP to save other birds of prey if each one had donated $1! A summary of Spirit's story will soon be published on this page and on our Internet site. Continue to follow us . . .

Beautiful photos by Christian Fritschi, who is also the person who rescued Spirit in July.

burdi:
Thank you for posting the news regarding Spirit, Alison. Perhaps something will cause her to seek a different home, I hope; however, she could very well head straight to Montreal where the much younger Eve has taken over that site, with Éole.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version