Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

AB / Warburg - Genesee Plant - 2009-18

<< < (61/127) > >>

bev.:
We are very lucky, that we have the kind of resources here, that we can  even attempt this.

It was worth the shot.

RCF:
I have been watching them off and on today, even watched when he closed the outer door to the nest before feeding them.  Nothing like a front door and a back door. :)  They have been really cute to watch.  :-*  It's really too bad the adults haven't accepted them.  :(  But I guess if they have to go back where they came from, they will be no worse for wear.  :) 

bev.:
the chicks have been monitored, so they are fine.  they were going  be fed this morning but since they self fed yesterday and had a big feed before going in nest box, they wanted to see if they would call out more, thus announcing their presence and need ,more.

those are good points. the female has certainly had a stressful year.  Because she was still going under the vent this week, she showed the signs of still being in the right state.

It was worth the try. Gord really wanted them to have a success. the success rate of this kind of fostering  is 90 percent.

these chicks at no time seemed stressed. Not like after banding. they have been a hoot to watch, and I  will miss them.
and I am  tired.
Gord is going to have a good look around tomorrow.

carly:
 I think you raise some interesting points Elaine, maybe they also think it's a trap to capture them again like last year when put the transmitters on.

Either way they chose another site and they've only been using this as a hangout.  They haven't' even shown an interest that someone has taken over their nest box which is very telling. 

I wonder too if given 2 males and 3 nests, she wasn't already on a 're-clutch' and her hormones might just be done now for the year. 

It's been hard to watch these little guys today on their own like this.  Oh thank god, food has arrived I think!

Elaine L:
Hi, Bev,

I am so sorry that the parents do not seem to be responding to the presence of the chicks.  I am thinking, and God knows I am no authority, that perhaps the falcons at this site are stressed by a number of factors; this would partly explain why they laid their eggs in a part of the tower that no one can see into, but also that the falcons cannot see out of.  This is a bird of prey that counts so much on its sight, so it hardly makes sense, to me.  Also, the fact (so far as we know) that there are three falcons in the vicinity could make all the birds very tense.  Mind you, that worked out o.k. in Montreal with Polly, but she was the daughter from the previous year, and I certainly do not think that this is the case here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version