Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

ON / Port Colborne - 2009-10

(1/10) > >>

Kinderchick:
You could be right, carly. :-\

kittenface:
You know Poland has problems with eggs hatching there it is because of transmitters tho

carly:
!!! 4 eggs reduced to one
May 18, 2010 - Port Colborne - ADM Mill

Doug Garbutt Reports:

The 4 eggs that were once here (for a second time this year) are now only 1. Not sure how the 1st one went missing but I saw the female consume the 2nd one that went missing. This is way too wierd for me to comprehend, but I’m hoping she must have known that the egg she ate was not fertilized because when she ate it, the yoke & white were clearly visible. I think if it was a viable egg that there would have been an embryo or something solid in the egg. So to this point, she has 1 egg left & is on it constantly. We are hoping that this egg will eventually hatch. Never a dull moment here in Port Colborne! Mostly frustrating ones.

You have to wonder if there isn't something environmental going on here - perhaps something as a result of the mill itself as there have been many different males and females here and no matter who it is - this is always the outcome save for the odd hatch here or there.  If it was the same pair all these years then you could say perhaps one of the pair has a problem with fertility however it's every pair with different males/females at any given time and the eggs are almost always not viable and destroyed.  Wonder what kind of chemicals they are spewing there and if it's affecting the viability of the embryos.

Maybe I'm grasping but seriously what are the odds??? 

Alison:
Four eggs now at Port Colborne!

!!! Port Colborne now has 4 eggs!!!
May 06, 2010 - Port Colborne - ADM Mill

Doug Garbutt Reports:

Believe it or not, another egg appeared today. For a brief moment, the female was off the scrape & I clearly saw 4 eggs. The 4th egg could have been there before Monday (when full incubation started) but out of camera view. The camera covers most of the scrape but not the whole thing. Another good thing is that dad (who we call Buffalo Bill) is now pitching in with the incubation process. Hopefully he wasn’t shooting blanks & the eggs are fertilised, as they are taking very good care of them to date.

carly:
!!! Port Colborne now has 3 eggs
May 03, 2010 - Port Colborne - ADM Mill

Doug Garbutt Reports:

Well, the 4 eggs that were produced here by late March & were destroyed have since been replaced by 3 new ones. I think that the new clutch is complete as the female is in full incubation mode, hardly getting off the eggs at all. We have our fingers crossed for a late fledge of falcons.

Bev:  Yes the rochester folks were hoping she'd choose lennox, it's a good place and has a nice large nestbox there but maybe no males around?!

Alison:  I'm hoping it's Treasure too and give this fast reclutch...maybe!  I am going to try to find out more about this site.  I know there are alot of birds there but honestly how do eggs vanish every year like this, and with different pairs too.  I know they will take them out sometimes but having 4 vanish overnight all the time..seems odd to me.  If they were being damaged in fights then you'd find some shell fragments or something.  And they do have a private cam there last I heard..yet every time the eggs vanish the cam suddenly breaks down?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version