Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 177394 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #1189 on: September 08, 2008, 08:19 »
Part 2

After the dust had settled so to speak I saw one falcon fly to the corner of the power building.(An adult) It looks around and then flies off and goes up the street and flies around and then comes back to the power building. My worry lights go on ;D ;D. so we check the area to make sure we do not see any downed falcons, but Peter assures me he has seen them clear the building and come up.
the adult then flies off when we were not looking so we decide to walk around the area.
No one is on the Ed building but as we get closer to the corner where the other parkade is we see a falcon on the Butterdome. We walk right to it and it is Cassie and she has a pigeon under her talon.  She just cacks a bit, as if to say, I got one.  Did you see that guys, I am a champion!!!

We take lots of pictures as she is so beautiful.  Peter sees a falcon fly onto to the building where Cassie was the other night(Thursday night)  I am hoping that was Hope. and we see a falcon on the crane.(I believe an adult but not sure.)

Peter decides to go up in the parkade by the Ed building to see better. and I stay with Cassie. Of course he has the camera and now Cassie decides to defeather her prize . she also has a few chunks.  I motion for Peter to come down but by the time he gets there he only gets one good shot because Cassie drops down onto the roof with her prey and we cannot see her.
she then pops  up without her prey and flies over head and around a few times, to the building where Peter saw the other falcon disappear. and then over to the  other crane.

We decide to finally go for breakfast(at 1:00pm) .
what a day!!
As I said I am not sure who we saw when , but I believe we saw both juveniles. and of course we know we saw Cassie.  she is one beautiful falcon.
we will go tonight because that is when they seem more mellow now and then I can see if I can spot both together.  They probably were yesterday, but it was too hard to tell.

Must go and work out now and then I will post post pictures , honest
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:26 by bev. »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1188 on: September 08, 2008, 08:14 »
9:14 am and mom is on the roof of the nest box!!!

Great report Bev, must have been exciting to watch them hunting!!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:16 by carly »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1187 on: September 08, 2008, 08:04 »
i WILL be posting tons of pictures but we had a real treat yesterday.

We  went to see  the girls after church yesterday. At first we only spotted one falcon on the clinical science building. we think it was mom but it could have been a juvenile also :) :) the girls are so so grown up now that I really have to have a good look or hear them to know.  The the one on the building flew around the side and then up to the top.
We then saw a wing  flap up and heard cacking and knew that there was a juvenile up top.  so either there was a food drop or a juvenile just wanting to be fed. we heard chupping so we figured mom must be up there.

then the  falcons flew over to  dads building.  One landed on top of dads tower and one on moms building.  the one on dads tower was a juvenile for sure by the cacking. I believe it was Hope. (the light makes it hard to tell. )

From here on in we are not sure if we were seeing adults or juveniles as things just happen so fast.

After I see the pictures , I may be able to tell more.  At one point two falcons went over to the clinical science building and both went to the nest box and there was lots of chattering and chupping and cacking.  Who was who was hard to tell.  was it 2 jueniles or mom and a juvenile???  then with my binoculars I could tell it was Cassie on the nest box roof.( and she was cacking and yes, chupping)  I have a shot of that .  the other falcon went flying around the area and before long they were both off flying over the clinical science building and out of site. So it could have been the 2 girls playing around or and adult and Cassie.

We decided to go on a walk and that was a mistake . As soon as we got to the street level , the falcons started flying in from over top of the clinical science building. If we had been on the roof we would have had a great view but... they were flying and vocalizing over the parkade and around moms building and back around the parkade.  I am not sure if we saw 2 or 3 . I had thought 3 but not sure.

After all the dust had settled there were only  one left on the top of dads tower and one was on  the corner of moms building. the one on the tower was a juvenile.  the other one we were not sure , but it eventually flew off towards the clinical science building and then out of sight.

After a long while we heard a falcon somewhere around the heart building but could not see it. I went down and checked out the whole area but saw no one.

then the juvenile flew off the tower and went in the direction of the heart building.  shortly after we could 2 falcons flying and they seemed to be playing but we were not sure. It could have been 2 juveniles of an adult and a juvenile.

We went down to street level as we thought we would see them better. Peter thought he saw one chasing an adult but was not sure if there was food in the talons or not.
as I said things happen so fast that it is hard to tell. but they were sure active.

Now for the fun and my heart stopped a few times also.  We started to walk towards the clinical science building and then the pigeons started flying all over.  A  juvenile was ,Yes, trying to stoop a pigeon. what a sight.  We believe the adult was  stirring them up for the babe to stoop one. The falcon would get really close to the parkade and scatter them off the ledges and then down would go a falcon ,so close to the ground , and then up again. I am shouting to Peter , did you see it come up.  :) :) ::) ::) Little miss nervous here. Everything was happening so fast that I do not know how many falcons were there. there were pigeons and falcons all over  it seemed ;D ;D

All of a sudden one falcon flew over to the Newton apartments  on the other side and started in on the pigeons there.  It would go so close to the building and chase them  off the ledge and then swoop down low and then up again. and then fly around the back and start all over again.  I am not sure if it was just one falcon or 2. Peter was at a better vantage point and could see them come back up.  If we had stayed on the parkade roof  ;) ;) we would have a better view.  It was just  so amazing to watch.  thank goodness the campus was quiet today.  I would not want to see that with lots of traffic.  I would have a heart attack.  Peer is sure one of the juveniles got a pigeon.  We did not know if both of the juveniles were involved in this display or not. we are sure one was an adult as it was flying so close to the parkade and the building and we do not think the young ones are that agile yet.  But who knows??
My heart was in my throat a few times as I was watching.
Part 2 in nest reply

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1186 on: September 07, 2008, 20:57 »
Nooooooooooooooooooo..I missed it  >:( >:(  Was playing world of warcraft..*sigh*.  I'm keeping the cam up from now on, dang it!  I miss my cassie girl  :'(
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 20:59 by carly »

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1185 on: September 07, 2008, 17:43 »
Thanks for identifying who it is. I don't know who's who at this site even though I try to keep up with everyone's progress. I often check the webcam and it was a surprise to see someone sitting in the nestbox.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1184 on: September 07, 2008, 17:40 »
Mom has been at neat box for over an hour. what a treat. :) :)  the weather is miserable but it was fairly nice this morning.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1183 on: September 07, 2008, 15:51 »
I was so hoping to tune in today and have you say you saw Cassie.  Peter and I went down after church today and at about 11:30 Alberta time, Cassie was on the nest box roof.  she was a cacking and so beautiful.  we saw her fly over there and we think it was mom that tried to land also, but not sure.
I was sure wishing I had one of those air things for the computer so I could have brought it with me.  maybe next year . I will do u a report later but I have to tell you its exciting.
I only tuned in to see if one of you had spotted her. 

Pictures and report coming. so many pictures over the last  few days and I cannot decide which ones of the 200 to post. :-[ we h just get so excited.

I have to clean a bit of my house ad then I will be back. :) :)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1182 on: September 07, 2008, 14:42 »
So nice to get the pictures of girls with blue sky behind.
What dedication to brave the wet to keep us all informed.  Thanks Bev!

Gorgeous sunny day here.  Hubby and I bonding again at the rental, this time over outdoor cleanup of a near jungle like situation!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1181 on: September 07, 2008, 06:29 »
I was wondering how they were doing when I saw the temperatures out there on the weather network.  Happy to hear and see  :D that both girls are doing well and keeping safe.

Thanks Bev to both of you for going out and braving the elements to look out for our girls  :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1180 on: September 07, 2008, 00:32 »
Went down last night and this morning. 
when we first went down last night we saw mom on the top of the clinical science building.  she is a beaut.

There was no one on the Ed building and then I saw Hope fly from the roof of a building by the front of the hospital to the tower at the University.  I also saw an adult on the tower on dads building.
After a bit Cassie came flying in and landed on a lower perch.
we went for a coffee (because it started to rain)and watched them from the window. it was real chilly last night.  Just before we sent outside I saw Hope fly off her tower and go towrds the front of the hospital. When we went back outside I scoured the area while Peter  started to go  up to the parkade across form the ed building.

I found mom tucked onto a top ledge on the building behind dads building.(remember it is chilly out).
Hope must have flown back where we could not see her becasue when we got to the top of the tower she was back on a perch.
It was getting darker out so it was hard to tell who was who. 

Then Dad flew over the Ed building and over our heads and out towards the river.
The 2 girls started to cack.
After a bit when I went to see if mom was still in place .While i was gone  one of the girls(we believe it to be cassie) flew off the perch and toward the crane across from the hospital. 

Then Peter saw her chase dad behind the hospital.  We figure it was a food drop but becasue it was getting darker it was hard to tell.
Hope stayed in place and then eventually flew off toward the area where she spends the night.
As it was was getting hard to see we decide to leave.  the only one we could still see was mom, but I am sure they were either eating or tucked in for the night.

Saturday morning
Not much to tell this morning.
When we got there we could see Hope perched on the Ed building. As we were walking we also spotted Cassie on the top of the Extension building.  a short time later Cassie flew to the Ed building on the back tower.
It had really started to pour so we needed something hot.  The 2 girls were still there and then all of a sudden they were gone.  They either went hunting or took cover from the rain.  we went up to the parkade but decided to leave as it was freezing and we were getting soaked.  Will try again tomorrow.
At  least they are still hanging together :) :)
Pictures still coming.

I will post a few form the other night to keep you in suspense ;D ;D
Cassie

hope

Cassie

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1179 on: September 05, 2008, 14:28 »
The flying shots are my favourite. 
I would SO love to fly like a bird.  My sleeptime dreams of flying have always been happy ones, never the sudden falling and crashing awake type.
Maybe I was or will be a falcon.  Definitely not a water bird or ocean going flier, I hardly know how to swim!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1178 on: September 05, 2008, 13:45 »
Fabulous shots Bev, thanks so much  :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1177 on: September 05, 2008, 09:04 »
Some form Wednesday night. Lighting was bad and we were way down but did the best we could there will be more of Cassie on Thursday nights shots. 
Awe,  :-* cassie and hope. Hope is on the left

Dad on the crane

Hope

Hope

Hope

Hope

falcon on clinical science

Hope on left and Cassie cat walks on right

Hope doing stretches

Hope before she flies off

Hope on heart building before bedding down on moms building

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:07 by bev. »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1176 on: September 05, 2008, 08:55 »
A few poor pictures from Tuesday and Wednesday.

I am working on last nights and peter just kept snapping away so I have to pick out the best.

Far away shots on the crane( I believe this to be cassie and an adult

Mom on the  heart building Wednesday night(right across form nest box)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1175 on: September 04, 2008, 23:31 »
pICTURES ARE COMING EVERYONE.  OOPS  everything is in capitals :-[ :-[

We went down about 5:00 pm to 8:45pm. 
As I was driving into campus and waiting to turn , there was Hope and Cassie on the Ed building.  Hope started flying around and tried to land on Cassie ;D ;D. remember I reported that last week also.  Those two. After a few horn honks , :-[ :-[ I turned and went to where I park and Peter was waiting for me.

Guess where we headed ;) ;) Yup , the Ed building. As we were heading down the sidewalk , in front of the hospital, a juvenile  and adult went flying over our heads. I believe it to be an adult and a juvenile as one was squawking and the other was very fast and very light under neath.  They went far to the west and out of sight.  So then we proceeded to the Ed building and no one was in sight.  We got no pictures on that flight as we were not prepared. I keep telling them to let us know. ;D ;D

We went for a quick coffee as we could see no one else and thought they would be gone for a bit.  I do not know if that was a training flight or not.

when we came out of the coffee shop  we spotted an adult on dads tower.   Peter walked down towards the nest box building and around the front of the hospital and I was to walk up the street  and then  down past the Ed building and we were to meet up.  As I got to the end of the block , I looked back and there was Hope , on a tower of the Ed building(closest to the parkade across from the butterdome.)

Peter met up with me and he spotted Cassie on the corner of a building just down and across from the Ed building(it is actually the power building but not the same one I have spoken about previously.  the building is a block long and it is at the far end from before) Peter said the adult was large so we assumed it  to be mom.
We  went up in the parkade and what a view of them. I think we have some nice shots tonight.
We did not have to do much walking as they stayed there till just before we left.
Peter has learned some patience.  As I told him those who wait are rewarded.

After a bit Cassie flew to the Ed building on a corner just down from Hope.  Some nice shots of that.  Hope just moved around a bit up top. Cassie then moved from  the edge of roof and sat on roof with just head and neck visible( reminded me of how she looked at the nest box)
We  saw an adult fly overhead and there was no squawking from the girls. she tried to stoop some pigeons and they flew everywhere.  we were sure supper was being brought back but nope.
We looked down to the far end of campus and an adult was perched on a crane.  YOu could barely see it.  we stayed put as our knees were both sore.  ::) ::) Getting old I guess. 

We just kept watching hoping for some action ,but honestly , I was just glad to still see them.
Around 8:30 Hope flew off toward the neat box area and  Cassie moved onto the ledge and perched facing in. 
We decide to call it a night. We left Cassie on her perch on the Ed building, and an adult on the crane and as we headed for the car , there was hope on a far ledge of moms building ,facing the street(the same side where I posted the picture of the 2 of them shortly after fledging).

We only ever spotted 3 together but that means nothing. I even have Peter talking up our falcons to passersby now. :) :)  We saw no feeding tongiht so they were probably fed earlier or hopefully are trying to stop their own.

On Saturday we are going to try and get there in the morning so we can see if we see any hunting. I will be down again tomorrow evening.  Do I have a life????? Of course , but I choose this one right now.  ;) ;) :-* :-*
Good NIght
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 23:35 by bev. »