Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 119838 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #1384 on: September 30, 2008, 08:06 »
Well, guys I was there. Unfortunately , I missed the first falcon,who who have identified as dad. :( :( I went to check on the transmitter girl as we did not see her the day before. On Sunday we went after we had these ones tucked in and did not see her but tonight we went first. I figured if these ones were tucking in earlier maybe she was too. she is still there also and was doing a lot of preening.
Sorry I missed that . all we saw was mom. I will write that up as soon as I post some pictures from our 2 on Saturday . I took well over a 100 pictures and I do not know what to post . Some are good and some not so good but they all tell the story.

the first ones are a ways away and that is why so small. Please bear with me . We might not have them with us too much more so I know you will not mind all the pictures.
Thanks for your patience in advance Tracy. the first ones are of them soaring over  in the distance as they were also stooping pigeons.  I did not know it was 2 at first until I looked at my pictures.

Mom , on edge of clinical science building

Pictures of the 2 of them soaring and stooping. they were going very fast

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 08:20 by bev. »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1383 on: September 29, 2008, 19:15 »
It was also great to watch together!  and I bet Bev was there too!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1382 on: September 29, 2008, 19:10 »
Awww..looks like the show is over for now.  It was great while it lasted though, so glad I decided not to play my game tonight, I would have missed them  :D

Offline JL

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1381 on: September 29, 2008, 18:49 »
Maybe she has a date tonight.   ;)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1380 on: September 29, 2008, 18:44 »
She probably is, as she always tracks them down well before they tuck in.
Look! Radisson is just getting that last talon trimmed, quick check of the skies, now she's back to fluffing and preening.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1379 on: September 29, 2008, 18:40 »
I was just thinking that too!  What a treat to see her for so long!  I wonder if Bev is down there!  I hope so, sure hate for her to miss this!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1378 on: September 29, 2008, 18:37 »
Maybe Dad is off getting dinner.  Radisson is doing a lot of preening in readiness.  Love that move to inspect the talons!  It's great to have her here so long at the nest box cam.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1377 on: September 29, 2008, 18:32 »
Lol..glad you noticed that bcbird.  I just edited my post as I finally see the differnce and it was definitely 2 different birds I saw.  This looks like Radisson and now I see the earlier one was dad  :D  Wish they'd show up together, it would be so much easier  :P

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1376 on: September 29, 2008, 18:30 »
Whoever it is is looking up and around a lot, so they are probably both around.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1375 on: September 29, 2008, 18:28 »
Ha..!!  The first bird was dad, I see the difference now, the other was sleeker in the neck area and smaller in the chest area and this one has a broader chest!  Yay!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 18:31 by carly »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1374 on: September 29, 2008, 18:23 »
Mom on the nestbox ledge, or maybe Dad?

Are you down there, Bev?  Who is it?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 18:28 by bcbird »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1373 on: September 29, 2008, 17:51 »
6:46 pm EST and looks like dad on the far rung of the nest box!  I can't tell anymore, unless Radisson has lost a lot of weight but the neck seems longer so I"m gonna guess dad?!

7:00 pm est and parent flew off.

7:07 pm est and now we're back but on nestbox ledge this time!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 18:09 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1372 on: September 29, 2008, 17:00 »
I expect that mom and dad didn't really get a chance to do much courting given the circumstances under which they first ..err..met.  Or should I say when Radisson stormed the castle and grabbed her man  ;D 

Poor dad probably didn't know what to make of this young, aggressive storm trooper..hehe...now he knows better  ;D 

Thanks for the lovely shots Bev, it's nice to see them getting a chance to enjoy a bit of peregrine romance finally  ;)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1371 on: September 29, 2008, 16:20 »
Thanks, Bev, that's a tender story of Mom and Dad having Saturday dinner out together now that they have the empty nest.  It's interesting that they are so much together now, and yet will migrate separately.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1370 on: September 29, 2008, 15:37 »
Thanks Carly. It helps me in case I do not spot them I know they are there.

Saturdays report

I just fell in love with these guys all over again on Saturday night. We have not seen them together much but probably  they are when we are not there.

When we got there mom was on the edge of the jut of the clinical science building. 
She did not stay long. I thought I saw a falcon soaring very far above but was not sure.

Mom flew off and started to stoop pigeons around the front of the hospital on the corner. It was so fast.  ::) I thought  both mom and dad were there but things being
 what they are ,the pigeons got in  my way and I was trying to take pictures. Peter left to get his coffee so I could not get him to look.

Sure enough when I looked at the pictures there were the 2 of them . It was neat to watch. There was lots of soaring and lots of coming in for the kill. Mom then went on the top part of hospital where I could still see from the parkade. Then she was out of view so I climbed down and walked to the front of the hospital. As I was walking a falcon flew off the left corner and flew over the hospital.  The hospital is quite a few blocks wide so I turned the corner and kept walking.

Well there was miss mom on the top front of the hospital (near the main entrance ) and she has a pigeon. :) :)

Then in comes dad and he stands and then sits to the left of her.  It was a real show and several people were watching and I was passing around my binoculars.(Do not worry , They were high up) Mom was busy defeathering and they were flying all over the place. A few flew down past me ;D ;D
Dad was just looking and probably guarding. I do not know who caught  the pigeon, but mom was getting first dibs. ;D ;D  She started to  eat and then she went up on the corner and dad went down for his share. She was a bit vocal at this point(probably telling him to not eat it all)

It was so nice to see them together sharing a meal. 
Then they both  were eating. When dad was done  he flew over to the crane right across from the hospital.  Mom continued eating. 

Mom then  flew off and soared a bit and then flew to the corner of the medical science building , right on the corner, past the hospital.

Both just sat for a bit and then they both flew off together over the hospital , in the direction of the Newton Place.

Peter and I took a short cut, we are getting smart ;), through the hospital and came out directly in front of Newton apartments.

There were mom and dad side by side at the corner of the building (Newton Apartments) We have not seen them like this for a long time.   :-* :-*

They did not stay there long and then both flew over to where they sleep at night.

They fooled us again . Both were on the opposite side from  where they usually go and were on the ledge of  Windsor Place apartments facing the Whyte avenue.  Mom usually is on the other side for sure.

They turned in very early . It was only 6:00 o'clock.  I know they are resting up for their journey.

We treated ourselves to supper just across from them  and just before we went home we checked on them again. There they were , all snuggled in.

I must say it was worth being out there in the cold. 

Pictures are done but I just got a call so I will post soon.