Author Topic: Canada Geese - Alberta / Edmonton  (Read 29119 times)

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Canada Geese - Alberta / Edmonton (2010)
« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2010, 13:18 »
Loved the video. 
I had not realized the nest was in a bale that seemed to be inside a structure?
Yes! And I had no idea it was up sooooo high! I wonder how the gosling got down? :-\

...I think it's barnacle geese that have nests in cliffs, and the goslings just jump out at a couple of days old, plunging down the cliffs - you can probably find video of it somewhere...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2010, 12:04 »
Loved the video. 
Yes! And I had no idea it was up sooooo high! I wonder how the gosling got down? :-\

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #147 on: May 12, 2010, 21:29 »
Loved the video. 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2010, 20:11 »
I had tears as well! 
I get happy tears when Geese come home and sad tears when they migrate north.
What can I say, I'm a sap.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2010, 13:43 »
The Kinderchicklets were somewhat sad to hear that they could no longer watch Mother Goose and that she and Father Goose had left with their one little gosling to find a pond. :( But I did show them the video of the highlights this morning and they were happy to see the gosling swimming along side it's mother and father.  :) I have to admit, watching the video brought tears to my eyes too, Elaine, especially the part where Mother Goose remained on her nest in the heavy snow, trying to protect her eggs. What a great mom she is! :D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2010, 10:06 »
Just watched the Edmonton Journal video of the goose saga, from beginning to end.  It brought tears to my eyes.  Those geese sure had a tough time of it this year.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2010, 20:17 »
Thanks for the update, everyone. The Kinderchicklets will be a wee bit sad to hear that Mother Goose has left. But at least I will be able to show them the video of her and her gosling leaving. :)

...When I watched the mom and baby get ready to leave it seemed that she was in a quandry as to whether to stay or go...

And yes, Ellie, when I watched the video, I was thinking the same thing. She kept going around it circles, appearing to be looking at her eggs... Yes, as you all say, one egg hatch is nothing short of a miracle, given the weather conditions she had to endure, as well as the nest "intruder".

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2010, 14:58 »
It is a miracle that one hatched after the constant nest/neck attacks from the other Gander, which of course left the eggs exposed too often for long periods at a time.  However, one did hatch and that's better than none!

Kinderchick:  Once a Mother Goose leaves the nest with her young, she does not return.  The nest is to simply lay, incubate the eggs until they hatch, then it's off to find the nearest pond.   ;D

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2010, 14:27 »
Mother Goose was fortunate (in a way) to have at least had the one egg hatch.  When I watched the mom and baby get ready to leave it seemed that she was in a quandry as to whether to stay or go.  Sad in a way  but a miracle that at least one survived. :-\

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2010, 14:15 »
Kinderchick, from what I have read on the site, Mother Goose will not be back; only one gosling hatched, and the others will not.  Apparently, once she goes to the water with her chicks (or in this case, chick), that is it.  More would have hatched but for the snow and low temperatures here last week, and many geese here in Edmonton have had to abandon their nests and will not breed again this year.  A goose nest in a pond near by home had to be abandoned because the water rose and destroyed the eggs.  I hope next year will be a better year for our Canada geese. 

It was a great experience again this year to see into the lives of Mother Goose, the gander, and her eggs.  Who knew how much was going on in the lives of our geese?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2010, 14:04 »
Thanks for the link to the video of Mother Goose and her gosling leaving the nest, Jo.  :D My Kinderchicklets missed it this morning, so I will be able to show them tomorrow morning. I wonder if that's it? Do you think that's the only egg that will hatch? I wonder if she will she be back? ???

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2010, 12:59 »
Looks like Ms. Goose and her baby have left the nest.
One of the viewers posted clips of the baby on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/russosborne

On another Goose note - traffic on Kennaston was brought to a halt on Saturday afternoon as a family of geese strolled across the street.

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2010, 11:46 »
Absolutely amazing that Mother Goose has this gosling.  Never did I figure any of them would hatch.  Goes to show me who is the boss.  Nature is wonderful and cruel at the same time.  Mother Goose knew what she was doing! ;)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2010, 11:41 »
I just saw the little yellow fluffy gosling!  Very very sweet.  I bet Dad will be on alert now more than before because of the new addition.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2010, 11:40 »
Yes! Very exciting news!  ;D The Kinderchicklets were working away in their journals at school this morning while watching Mother Goose on the webcam. Suddenly, along came "big bully neck pecker" and chased her off her nest! :( But that is when we noticed that one of the goslings has hatched! ;D Needless to say, the 'chicklets momentarily abandoned their journals, with all of the excitement!  ::) ;) ;D