News, Videos & Other Webcams > Bird ID Help

ID Help: Cooper's Hawk

(1/8) > >>

Kinderchick:

--- Quote from: Doreen on April 24, 2013, 18:47 ---Thank you Tracy for all the info. When I checked he/she was no where to be seen.
Hopefully it flew away and is ok.
--- End quote ---

Glad to hear that the bird most likely recovered and flew away, Doreen.

The Peregrine Chick:

--- Quote from: transplanted maple on April 24, 2013, 18:14 ---I think I found a picture of it on the internet, called a sharp shinned..
Look up google under birds with striped tails..and look there...I am not sure but they look the same beak and tail.

--- End quote ---

Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawks are very hard to distinguish one from another - size is the easiest/fastest way but barring that, you have to check tail shape, tail band sizes and colours, size of head, size of feet and legs, minor plumage variations in the adults, etc.  For juveniles, it gets worse because young Northern Goshawks also look like Sharp-shinneds and Cooper's.

Doreen:
Thank you Tracy for all the info. When I checked he/she was no where to be seen.
Hopefully it flew away and is ok.

transplanted maple:
I think I found a picture of it on the internet, called a sharp shinned..
Look up google under birds with striped tails..and look there...I am not sure but they look the same beak and tail.

The Peregrine Chick:

--- Quote from: Cooper on April 24, 2013, 13:52 ---Or maybe it's a merlin!  ;D
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: irenekl on April 24, 2013, 15:22 ---I say Merlin.  How's it doing?
--- End quote ---

Sorry, definitely not a merlin ...  :) ... not even a falcon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version