Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2009 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 120912 times)

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
Re: U of Alberta - April 2009
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2009, 14:06 »
O.K. back to the old view.  That previous camera view looked like what used to be on camera 3.  Perhaps they are fixing it.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2009, 14:03 »
Angle of the camera just changed, someone must be checking out the nest.  It's zooming in too.

I just noticed that too.  Let's hope it is a good sign. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2009, 14:02 »
Angle of the camera just changed, someone must be checking out the nest.  It's zooming in too.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2009, 05:40 »
Very interesting information and different perspectives in today's posts. I thought perhaps the ravens had lost interest in the nest, since I didn't see much of them earlier in the day, but later in the afternoon they were back. Bev, I can understand why you are really upset about this. I don't know what will happen here, especially when the falcons return, and I don't want any of the birds to be injured in a battle for territory.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2009, 21:30 »
I am really Pi---- off right now and I am just going to shut down the cam.
I know everyone else knows best but this is for the peregrines who are supposed to be a protected species and I am hopping mad right now.
sorry guys but I put a lot into this cam and i am just plain disappointed. >:( >:(

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2009, 20:23 »
Ooops, spoke too soon.  They are both back inside.  That is one packed nestbox!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2009, 20:13 »
No one is home right now.  Perfect time to remove the nest!

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2009, 19:52 »
I sure hope that the biologists have a plan and are mobilizing pretty quick.  Both ravens have been visiting the nest tonight and at about 17:35 Edmonton time there appeared to be some non-PG-13 activity going on.  ???  That nest is huge and appears pretty much done.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2009, 18:26 »
The crows that invaded the (dove) nest in Netherlands took advantage of the dove leaving the nest and destroyed her eggs. Very sad to watch. They even took the shells out of the nestbox. The note below the cam notes that the falcons (torenvalk) that normally use the nest are also still hanging around chasing the crows away. The nestbox is now empty.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2009, 12:53 »
Now I have a question for everyone, if anyone/everyone would like to continue this discussion, I will set it up as a separate thread.  If we more posts, I'll do it anyway ...  8)

Back on the roof of the Clinical Sciences Building on the U of A Campus, one of the ravens is enjoying the sun while sitting amid the sticks in the nestbox.   :D

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2009, 12:40 »
Ok.. my turn.. I don't need a soap box because I'M ALREADY TALLER THAN ALL OF YOU   .. LOL.  :P

in my experience, although people mean well, having a bunch of inexperienced wanna-be experts can be more of a pain than anything else. I've worked at ( paid ) and volunteered at the local humane socitety for years, and can tell you that although most people mean well when volunteering their time,, some of them wayyyy over step the definition of 'helping'.

As Tracy has stated, emotions tend to run very high where animals of any kind are concerned, and sometimes those emotions can cloud the very best judgements and intentions of 'helpers'.

A prime example is last june, when we were ALL strung out in panic mode.. and would have been no good to anyone.  Best to just step back and let the experts do what they have to do.  I don't think they needed me or anyone else rappelling down the side of the hotel in my spiderman suit, and trust me, there are 'volunteers' who would attempt  things things like this,  without thinking it thru.

I am an experienced reptile/snake handler.  I've worked with exotics for a long time, and belong to the reptile society here in Ontario.  I don't NEED any wanna-be Steve Irwins stepping in and getting hurt.
  People tend to have an over-inflated sense of knowledge ( thanks to the national geographic society tv show.. lol)  of things.. and that can be dangerous.. both to the critters, and the person.

Best advice :  offer your help. Don't take it personally if you are refused.  If you are asked to contribute in some way, LISTEN !  LISTEN to the person who you are dealing with.  THEY KNOW WAYYY MORE THAN YOU DO.  don't offer your opinions, advice or 'knowledge' unless you are asked for it.  

and now i'll sit down.. lol
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:47 by The Peregrine Chick »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2009, 12:11 »
Tracy:

I am sorry if you think I  should not have said what I said but it was warranted. last year people did contact the University and they were not helpful..

Not at all Bev, I know you had a hard time of it last year.  And I don't have a problem with you saying what you need to say.  None of it was/is contrary to the Sandbox Rules  ;) since you aren't using the Forum to air greivances with the Edmonton Project!   I just need to play devil's advocate from time to time to encourage people to keep trying and to go through channels.  And I think its important for the public to understand the realities on both sides of the webcam - its the same as anything else, human obstacles, regulations, time-constraints, technological constraints on one side and perfect moments of altruism, optimism, excitement, elation and heart-break along with lots of hardwork on the other.  Everyone should get to experience the latter but the reality is that everyone has to deal with the former as well.

So, no worries, your experiences are good to hear.  It will also be good to hear how you manage to get what sounds like a less than optimal situation working for everyone involved.

Keep up the great work!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2009, 11:53 »
And no one is discounting your concerns or your desire to help!  Well, certainly not me!  And don't discount your help on June 6th.  While Larry, Dennis and I were busy doing what we needed to be doing, you all were keeping the flow of information going which probably prevented 1000s (no exaggeration) of phone calls and emails to the police, fire department, RCMP, Radisson, CBC, Shaw, Manitoba Conservation, Canadian Wildlife Service and to the Project.  You have no idea how helpful that was for me as I was waiting for important return calls to get/keep things moving.  You were all able to pool what information you had from me and from the media on the ground and you frequently had more information than I did at any particular moment.  And you were certainly passing it along faster than I could!  That day started at about 4 am for me and it didn't end until about 11pm and then I was back out the next day early.  As it was, I was still responding to emails two weeks later, I would still be responding to emails now if y'all hadn't stepped in to keep everyone updated.  We had 208 registered members online and 10,000 hits that day.  That's alot of traffic.  Its also the kind of traffic that makes projects limit their communications out of sheer survival instinct.  

* pulls out soapbox again *

I will admit that my decision to start a Forum was for the most part because I knew that lots of people wanted to help but that I/we couldn't accommodate most of the requests.  Other than keeping an eye on our birds from the ground (which many of you are already doing) and helping out as extra hands during fledging (that will hopefully happen this year), the rest is not volunteer-friendly.  With the Forum, you are all providing a service for me, the peregrines, the Project and for others who visit (or lurk) on the Forum.  Education and information dissemination are the most important tasks involved in species-at-risk project management - if we can't explain what is going on and why, how can we expect people to becomes stewards on behalf of a particular species or for nature as a whole.  And without stewards, none of these species has a chance ...

* packs up soapbox again * ;)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2009, 11:43 »
I forgot to mention that I first spotted the female peregrine on  April 3 at the nest box. Of course she later lost her nest to  Radissson at the end of April.

I believe I saw Radissson one day before everything happened on April 17 and then she took off.  Probably just browsing around looking for a site.

i reported this to the biologists, last year.
Just saw Raven and now gone

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2009, 11:31 »
First off,
One of the biologists gave me this reply last night. The others Iam hoping are getting over there :)

there’s a good chance that they do remove the stick nest. There’s also a pretty good chance that the peregrines safely take care of the problem themselves…don’t worry, I’m very sure things will work out just fine.

Tracy:

I am sorry if you think I  should not have said what I said but it was warranted. last year people did contact the University and they were not helpful..

Also they do know that they have  some people that are willing to be their eyes in the sky and they keep turning everyone away. It is frustrating for me and for the biologists. A few of the people that I met last year have like me , tried to be of service to them.  but to no avail. so they just gave up.

the cam is run by the med. faculty and the students group that are to to post observations etc.  very rarely know what is up. They say they do not have the time and trust me a few of us have stopped by and given them notes and I have e-mailed them pictures and specifics.
I made of point a few years ago , of stopping by and introducing myself and offering money donations and my help. all turned down. Puzzles me.

I still try and maintain a good relationship with them and still e-mail what I see as they know I am not a kook and am on good terms with the biologists.

I e-mailed them this year  about the cams getting up and running and then they contacted the Med faculty. I will e-mail about the one cam that is down.
I could go on and on , and each situation is different but believe me I have tried.
 So what I do is introduce myself to the  security.and then I do my thing.  I have phone numbers of 2 biologists to contact and I have security numbers and I work very hard at not being a nuisance. i have met many interested people and have educated a lot of others.
I am not perfect but because of my love for these raptors I want what is best. No one is there to watch them fledge and see that it is done safely.  I took it upon myslef last year to do it. It was hard for my husband and I but  we did it anyway. I cannot do it to that extent this year but I will try my best.

So I do know that running a cam etc. is a lot of work but there are some sites that just do not do it justice. sorry Tracy but this is true.

I have learned from a  lot of other sites and the biologists.  and from observation.
Unfortunately I have to go out for a bit today so I am hoping the twigs will be removed
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:55 by The Peregrine Chick »