Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2009 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 120629 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: U of Alberta - April 2009
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2009, 15:04 »
If we are talking about the same thing, that's the finer nesting material that will buffer the eggs and help with incubation.  Its grasses etc.  The ravens are in earnest about nesting in this location that's for sure ....

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2009, 14:52 »
No I think that is spots on  the webcam. They wouldn't set fire to something like that. Not in an area around a building.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2009, 14:50 »
I don't know if this could be right - it looks like they set fire to the nest!  Perhaps it is just a foggy camera.  I can't imagine doing such a thing, but I don't know...

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2009, 14:47 »
Well someone keeping posting the camera doesn't refresh for me darn it :(

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2009, 14:43 »
Alert - the biologists are at the nest box.  I expect they are taking out the raven nest.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2009, 10:58 »
Peregrine return times are variable but usually within a range.  Its all weather and prey based.  In cities the birds can eat pigeons and other overwintering birds but cliff-nesting birds need to be sure that there are prey species available for them. 

The Radisson birds are back earlier than usual, I'm of the believe that these two were in a position to surf the leading edge of the snow storms we have had (and had and had and its still snowing now) recently.  Had they been on the other side of the storm, they would be cooling their jets south of here.  We have seen this with Alberta peregrines with transmitters on them. One year a bird sat for 10-12 days in Denver waiting for the weather to shift ...  And besides, our birds appear to have not done much since they returned so we may still get eggs at the usual time even though they are back early.  We will have to see.

As for Radisson and the rest of the Alberta cohort, they will probably kite in in the next few days and then the fun will begin.  Keep in mind, its really only the beginning of April and the start of peregrine returns to Canada (excluding the overwintering birds).  And I haven't seen more than a few peregrines at a time on the HawkWatch migration stats so I have to hope that more will show soon ....

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2009, 10:49 »
Did a little housekeeping on the Dutch "raven invasion" as they were causing some confusion re: sightings, species, etc.  They are now in a separate thread in the Netherlands board ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2009, 08:12 »
It is not until this time that the peregrines here return.  the female was sighted last year around April3.  So any day now. We are expecting snow tonight so....

by the way the note I had on the crows was not from the biologists I deal with, it was from another biologist . In any event, the raven made a quick appearance just now, but we will wait and see.

I do not wish these ravens any harm or the peregrines.  I guess that is one reason why i am concerned.  I may come across as a non lover of Ravens. that is not so, I just do not like them in my small area .  they are very intelligent and if you ever see their eyes, they are so bright and they have the shiniest black coat.

So today is another day at the soaps of Edmonton.  the Manitoba falcons came a bit later last year , so she may appear later this year.

I do not know if I mentioned that the transmitter female was still in Columbia as of End of March. she does not make her move home until about now.  ??????

Have a great day everyone :) :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2009, 08:09 »
The Edmonton Falcons are expected home in the next few days.  From what I read on the website and from what Bev has said, they usually arrive home between April 3rd to April 10th - not exact dates but in that range.  So possibly today or this weekend, one or two may show up.  Really depends on the weather patterns and whether or not other species they rely on have started the migration northwards I think.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2009, 07:17 »
Goodmorning folks!  8) Putting my sunglasses on in good faith that "WE WILL HAVE SUNSHINE!"   We'll have to go somewhere to follow the Netherlands nest together as that has become fascinating if not worrisome.  I'm not happy about the prospect of a battle at the Edmonton nest and hope that if there is one I miss it.  I'm at the point where I hope the peregrines have found a place to nest that they prefer over this site.  Where are they anyway, were they expected back by now?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2009, 21:28 »
well, I guess, we will will have to wait this out and see what happens. I have been put in my place by one biologist and I guess they are right

The ravens found the box and so who are we to say who has a right to nest there.

No one could have foreseen this to happen but since it has, it will be documented. they are sure the peregrines will oust them but they are hoping the ravens will not be hurt.

I guess I came across as only a lover of peregrines.

I actually consider my self an environmentalist,  but I hate to see these guys lay eggs and then have them destroyed.  I do not want to see altercations, and will go down tomorrow to see what I can see.

I will go in the daytime.
so with egg on my face  :-[ :-[ I guess we will just wait and  see what happens.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2009, 20:42 »
I want these stupid ravens gone!  Sorry but I have no love for them, no matter if they are God's creatures.  So are mosquitoes, and I kill them (and flies) with great glee.  (Spiders, bees, etc get scooted outside.) 

What the heck are TPTB ("the powers that be") waiting for?!  Get the damned nest out of there before eggs are laid, and let them start again somewhere else.  No, I don't want them dead, but if the choice is one or the other, I'll pick the PFs. 

That's my answer and I'm sticking to it!   :) ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2009, 14:32 »
Raven was just in for a split 4 seconds Stay away.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2009, 14:29 »
I did let them know that 3 was not working. I do have the cam up but if the twigs are not removed , I will not watch RAvens.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2009, 14:18 »
O.K. back to the old view.  That previous camera view looked like what used to be on camera 3.  Perhaps they are fixing it.

Good point, forgot about that.  YOu stop using something and then you just forget about it!

I was so looking forward to seeing Radisson again this year, I really grew fond of her last year...I still remember her and little Cassie snuggled up together in the corner of the box..so precious.