Author Topic: MN / Elk River - 2008-22  (Read 230523 times)

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Minnesota / Elk River - 2008 / ? & ?
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2008, 20:07 »
That egg's not really under her.  Full view while she eats.  Hope it gets stuffed back under soon.

Offline deedream

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2008, 19:49 »
nothing , just the fan on my laptop.  no wires humming, nothing.  I thought at first the cam was frozen as mom was not moving but I seen the cars in the background, and then seen her moved, boys she looks stuffed or something.  Keeps rolling her eyes!

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2008, 19:38 »
I can't tell either, but at least she hasn't given up on that egg yet!

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2008, 19:25 »
Watching mom right now...very interesting...I'm guessing she just finished a feed, not sure...she's on the 3 chicks and the egg...and a piece of "yukovers"...she's trying to eat, without getting off the kids, without benefit of her talons to hold the prey down...the kids don't seem the least bit interested ...she's trying to tear off pieces of meat...with little luck...well, she's either given up or had her fill...oops, maybe not...she's gonna try again...she just won't get off the kids so she can get a better grip on the food...well, that's just dandy...now she's gonna brood the chicks, the egg, AND the yuckovers!!!

I still can't tell if there is a pip in the egg or not.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2008, 18:26 »
I was glad to read during the day that all seemed well.  Thanks again to those who checked and posted.  I was so worried about what picture the morning light would bring to our screens.  Seeing her sit there for hours without moving a muscle was truly alarming.  I didn't get a reply from the Steward at the plant but I guess, one way or another, the problem is resolved.

Offline deedream

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2008, 17:43 »
Hi everyone, just got back in gone most of the day. Thank goodness everyone is eating.  To TPC  there was 100 percent something stuck on her beak ,all the way around,,, like what ever it was had a hole in it and it was right over her beak.  Like her beak was inside the thing, like she had drove her beak through a beer can tab and it was stuck there,  She never moved for hours and had a great view of it.  Looked horrid.  Before I came on Enraptured had seen her for 40 minutes try to get the thing off.  I looked at other pics of peregrines beaks last nite also to see what was what too.  It was solid either metal or bone, and the very end at one point had white feathers stuck to it.  I figured that the thing caught on her own feathers or the kids and stuck to it.  But you know no wonder those chicks were hungry cause for sure they were way over due to be fed. 

Thank the lord they are doing fine, because we were not overreacting, if you had seen what we seen, it was a sad sight. This all started way before dark so the light was not an issue, we tryed to see full screen and that was blurry to see what it was.  Either way could see something stuck there, but could not tell what. I have watched that cam quite a bit and even after it was dark, as it is still well lit up, and she was acting so different last night and no bird I ever seen had a beak shaped like that.  lol and the bird on the nest this a.m. did not have anything on her beak.   I had stopped watching that cam yesterday as I was more interested in "our family in Winnipeg" but got drawn back in when Enraptured wanted a second opinion.  He/she got me and Liz.  Thanks for trying to waylay our concerns, hope you are not going to think of us as paranoid now.  :) Who ever took those pics please send them.  lol.   :D

Offline Baffled

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2008, 14:27 »
Yet another feeding today at 2:15 CDT. Those chicks are getting plenty to eat!

Lunch was some kind of speckled brown and white bird, with head and legs still attached. Feathers flew! The feeding adult then disappeared with the leftovers.

I didn't get a good look at the egg, as it was behind the chicks.

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2008, 13:08 »
Yep, a good feeding and all looks fine.  They are still incubating the egg so hopefully it will hatch.  Nice to see the three chicks all so actively demanding food!   ;D

Offline Baffled

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2008, 13:03 »
Another feeding (1pm CDT)! Looks like both birds are using and opening their beaks just fine: one to give a series of robust squawks and screeches, and the other to feed the chicks. I couldn't see anything amiss.

Still one egg, no futher sign of hatching that I could see.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2008, 12:53 »
For everyone looking for something on the female's beak, keep in mind that a peregrine's beak has two colours, which may look a bit distorted on the webcam image.  On peregrines, the structure at the base of the beak (where it meets the head) is called the cere and that is where the nares (nostrils0 are located.  The cere on peregrines is yellow.  The beak itself is black.

When I was looking at the Elk River webcam, I couldn't see anything amiss so wondered if perhaps it the colour of the nare is washed out on the image and that is what was causing the concern ....

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2008, 11:47 »
I just caught the end of a feed...looks like mom did ok with it...kids were definitely hungry....the 4th egg does look like its got a pip...but that's just a guess...I'm not seeing anything on her beak...but I'm not sure what I'm looking for...hopefully, everything is ok now...gotta run (work is really interferring with my cam watching... >:( )...I can relax a little bit having seen the feed...

Offline Falconista

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2008, 11:33 »
Finally the little guys get a meal! And boy are they hungry!
Looks like dad (I think?) just dropped off the food and is leaving it up to mom to deliver the goods to the chicks. At least she's getting a chance to eat a bit too.

Pretty sure we've got a pip in the egg but I don't see anything happening.

Offline Baffled

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2008, 11:33 »
Feeding happening right now (11:30am CDT)! So the little ones are getting fed. Either the fourth egg is hatching or there is a very stubborn white fleck on it . . .

Offline Falconista

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2008, 11:26 »
I still don't really see anything on her beak, but then again I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. Seems to be doing ok though.

Still haven't seen a feeding or shift change yet. But I think I see signs of hatching on that last egg! It's kind of hard to tell though. I'm going to keep watching and hoping for the best!

Offline Enraptured

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2008, 10:59 »
Hey, I just spied the white thing on her beak! This is mum from last night. I only noticed it as it blew in the breeze, so at least the mum is looking more settles and has really moved position and is tucking those chicks under her. She shook her head a couple times, so perhaps she's still bugged by whatever that is, but maybe it's not really going to cause problems. We do need to see a feed, but I'd also really like to see her feed, just to be sure.
I do feel a little better, though, now that she seems to be doing ok.

Did anyone else see it?