Author Topic: Pandas - Georgia / Atlanta Zoo  (Read 46817 times)

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Pandas - Georgia / Atlanta Zoo (2009)
« Reply #250 on: October 31, 2009, 07:01 »
They are having a virtual cub shower on Thursday, November 5th.  Should be interesting.

http://blogs.sandiegozoo.org/blog/2009/10/29/a-virtual-cub-shower/

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #249 on: October 29, 2009, 18:38 »
He is just so laid back and cuddly! Easy to see why they take turns carrying him out - everybody would want a chance.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #248 on: October 29, 2009, 10:19 »
Our little panda boy down in San Diego just had his 9th exam.  As if it is even possible for him to be cuter!  But he is, especially those big blue eyes!

http://http://www.sandiegozoo.org/videos/?bcpid=4552241001&bclid=1631259758&bctid=46585215001

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #247 on: September 29, 2009, 05:10 »
Hehe..it's true TPC.  Peregrines and Pandas.. ;D ;D ;)

Online allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #246 on: September 28, 2009, 22:10 »
When the cub is first born, he is like an eyases and can't regulate his body temperature until his fur comes in.  He also can only nurse for short bursts so mom has to be with him constantly.  Once the fur comes in she can leave him a bit longer as he won't be cold.  Also now you will notice he will nurse for a longer time so he takes in more milk.  Therefore mom can spend longer times away eating herself to fuel up.

Bamboo is not a very filling food which is why they have to spend so much time eating.  For their bodies to convert the boo to milk requires alot of food and energy so Bai will be away for much longer periods of time now.  But she is never too far away in case he needs her.

Insert chick for cub and pigeon for bamboo and milk and you pretty much have a hairy flightless peregrine there ....  ;D

HaHAHahahahahah  TPC...got me going on that comment!   :)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #245 on: September 28, 2009, 21:51 »
When the cub is first born, he is like an eyases and can't regulate his body temperature until his fur comes in.  He also can only nurse for short bursts so mom has to be with him constantly.  Once the fur comes in she can leave him a bit longer as he won't be cold.  Also now you will notice he will nurse for a longer time so he takes in more milk.  Therefore mom can spend longer times away eating herself to fuel up.

Bamboo is not a very filling food which is why they have to spend so much time eating.  For their bodies to convert the boo to milk requires alot of food and energy so Bai will be away for much longer periods of time now.  But she is never too far away in case he needs her.

Insert chick for cub and pigeon for bamboo and milk and you pretty much have a hairy flightless peregrine there ....  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #244 on: September 28, 2009, 19:39 »
That little panda cub at the San Diego Zoo is just a delight - right now, he is laying on his back with his paws in the air; but, he wants to turn over, and can't do it by himself, so he is calling for mom - and you can tell that he is hollering!  He has got to be the cutest little guy on the planet!
Yes, he certainly is the "cutest little guy on the planet", Eli! My new bunch of Kinderchicklets have been watching him! :D

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #243 on: September 26, 2009, 20:30 »
Thanks carly.  I did notice that the times away are longer and we get good shots of the little guy.  Your explanation helps.
Happy watching!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #242 on: September 26, 2009, 16:39 »
It doesn't get much better than watching all baby all the time.  He's tooo cute!

I totally agree -- my comment was far from being a complaint! It's interesting, though, to see Bai Yun leaving him for such extended times -- obviously she feels that baby is growing up!

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #241 on: September 26, 2009, 12:52 »
I just cannot believe how huge he is already.  She can't really tuck him in anywhere anymore.  I just love it when he is sleeping alone and they zoom in on him.  You can see all the little details.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #240 on: September 26, 2009, 09:58 »
It doesn't get much better than watching all baby all the time.  He's tooo cute!

I totally agree -- my comment was far from being a complaint! It's interesting, though, to see Bai Yun leaving him for such extended times -- obviously she feels that baby is growing up!

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #239 on: September 25, 2009, 22:45 »

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #238 on: September 25, 2009, 19:13 »
Bai Yun is certainly leaving the little guy on his own a lot longer lately. I've been going back and forth to the panda cam for the last couple of hours and it's been all baby, all the time.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #237 on: September 25, 2009, 15:58 »
That little panda cub at the San Diego Zoo is just a delight - right now, he is laying on his back with his paws in the air; but, he wants to turn over, and can't do it by himself, so he is calling for mom - and you can tell that he is hollering!  He has got to be the cutest little guy on the planet!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #236 on: September 16, 2009, 18:01 »
Hehe..you are right Eli, sometimes she gives as good as she gets with Xi but she is always gentle with him..well except when she pulls him down from the teepee and he falls to the ground  :P