Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

ON / Hamilton - Sheraton Hotel - 2008-21

<< < (10/68) > >>

Jazzerkins:
RIP Surge.  May your off spring have long, healthy lives the way you did.  I hope Madame X finds a suitable suitor for this year and continues with this nest site.

Kinderchick:

--- Quote from: gran2496 on March 05, 2015, 11:37 ---Sadly I would like to report that our resident male, Surge, has passed away.  Here is the article.

R.I.P. SURGE (2002-2015)
--- End quote ---

So sorry to hear the sad news that your resident male, Surge has passed away, gran.  :'(

Moonstar:
 :'(  Always sad when a falcon dies.

gran2496:
Sadly I would like to report that our resident male, Surge, has passed away.  Here is the article.

R.I.P. SURGE (2002-2015)

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - The Hamilton Community Peregrine Project regrets to advise all Falconwatchers that Surge has died. Although apparently well when first seen at the Ontario Veterinary College (OVC) this morning, while being examined he suddenly expired. A post-mortem examination will be conducted to see if it is possible to learn what caused his death.

On 24 January 2015 Surge was found injured on the ground near the HMCS Haida National Historic Site at Hamilton Harbour. He was taken in by Animal Control and then transferred to the Owl Foundation in Vineland for care. It appeared he had been in a fight with another bird. His right nostril was punctured, there was damage to his right cere (the skin between beak and head), and he had a scratch on his cornea. He remained under the care of experts at the Foundation as they monitored how his injuries could affect his eating. Surge weighed in at a very healthy 781 grams when he was being assessed. They thought he was a female at first he was so big! Subsequently Surge was taken to OVC for an eye exam, which showed that any damage incurred in the fight had healed well. Until two days ago he remained under care at the Owl Foundation while the damage to his beak healed. (2006 photo of Surge courtesy of Ryan Laird Iverson)

Hatched and banded in Etobicoke in 2002, Surge spent at least part of the 2004-2005 seasons trying to establish a nest at the Burlington Lift Bridge. In 2006 he replaced the male Newbie at the Sheraton Hamilton nest. He and Madame X fledged three healthy chicks that year, and 22 more in the years up to and including 2013. In 2014 two eggs were laid but failed. A second laying of a single egg also failed. Many of the chicks fledged by Surge and Madame X have settled and successfully nested in or near other cites in Ontario, upper New York state, Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Kinderchick:
Thanks gran. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version