Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

ON / Hamilton - Sheraton Hotel - 2008-21

<< < (54/68) > >>

bev.:
I figured that must be what happened Carly, after that citizens report.
Glad it was O.K. I always check all the news befroe I go to bed

carly:
Yes one did fledge.  If you look to the right of the cam, they have daily updates and they do update them every day.  She fledged to a lower ledge.  She took a few flights yesterday but couldn't gain altitude and came to ground and was put back on the roof.

Their females are quite heavy so not unexpected they are going to have some challenges.  They have an outstanding fledge watch here though.  The entire birding community comes out to support the family from what I've heard.

The Peregrine Chick:
Could just be one of the little darlings fledged ....  :)

Alison:

--- Quote from: bev. on June 16, 2009, 21:00 ---there were 4 on the ledge a bit ago so I wonder if they had to do a rescue
--- End quote ---

Good question, Bev! When I was watching earlier, I only saw three on the ledge or in the nest area at any time:

bev.:
there were 4 on the ledge a bit ago so I wonder if they had to do a rescue

this is from their site yesterday

June 15, 2009: Part 2 - Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: By late afternoon we were able to get a good view of the chick that flew to the Thompson building and by reading her band identified her as Strathcona. (The image at left shows her on the upper ledge, facing Surge, seconds before she flew.) Strathcona spent the entire day on the upper roof of the Thompson building, exploring the roof top and ledges. She seemed quite content to stay there until this evening. Around 8PM, while walking along the edge of the upper roof, she lost her footing and slipped down to the lower roof. She landed there safely and proceeded to spend quite a while pacing back and forth along the west side of the lower roof. She kept looking around and seemed to be trying to decide where to go and whether she could make it back to the nest ledge. She was probably quite hungry by this point as she had not been fed since 7:40AM. Madame X and Surge flew close by several times today and also chased off some gulls that were bothering her, but neither adult delivered food to Strathcona. Around 8:45PM Strathcona decided to spend the night on the south west corner of the Thompson building and settled down. Stay tuned to see where she decides to go tomorrow.

The three chicks on the ledge continued their flapping exercises but seem happy to stay at home for now. Those left on the ledge are fairly easy to tell apart. Dixon is the smallest and he has pale coloured feet. Gleig also has pale feet, however she is a very large, very dark bird. Durand has yellow feet. [/i

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version