Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

ON / Hamilton - Sheraton Hotel - 2008-21

<< < (50/68) > >>

sami:
Hmmm, another site that could use a gardener. Makes it difficult to see chicks. I don't recall seeing sites with that much greenery in the past - is it new or just worse this year?

Alison:
Congratulations to Madame X and Surge!

Haven't seen the chicks yet, but both parents are staying close to home:

carly:
FIRST CHICK OF 2010!!!!!

May 6, 2010 - Lead monitor Audrey Gamble reports: The long wait IS over for Madame X and Surge. The image at left, taken at 10:02 this morning, clearly shows the first young Peregrine of 2010 in the Sheraton Hamilton nest. As of noon the presence of the chick and the three remaining eggs was confirmed by telescope. This is one year to the day, and almost to the minute, of the first chick's appearance last year. We are on our way!!!

carly:
STILL FOUR EGGS

Tuesday May 4 - Lead monitor Audrey Gamble reports: I had a clear view of four eggs this afternoon when Madame X left the nest to chase away, you guessed it, another Peregrine. A third falcon was in the neighbourhood again. I wasn't sure if the outsider was a juvenile but its behaviour and its interactions with the adults were the same as with the juvenile a few weeks back. The stranger flies around after Surge in a non aggressive way and when he lands the bird tries to land close to him. Surge flies off, flushing the intruder into the air and gives chase, but doesn't attack. Madame X joins in, Surge retreats to tend the eggs and Madame X chases the intruder out of the area. Knowing the extent of injuries that adult Peregrines can inflict on one another and on precocious juveniles in a territorial rivalry, I have to say that the adults are being uncharacteristically mild mannered.

carly:
ALL QUIET ON THE SHERATON FRONT - THAT PESKY WEED!

April 17, 2010 - There hasn't been much action since our last update a week ago, unless of course you consider our weed's growth to be a form of action. Every year since this ugly piece of vegetation first appeared we have tried to remove it but, as you can see, so far without success. We even tried once in the middle of winter using a long tree pruner and a metal wire snare, but no joy. There's not much we can do until Banding Day, except to hope that our view of the eggs will not be completely impeded. This is almost the hardest part of Falconwatch - it's tough to see the adults sitting day after day through all types of weather. The image at left shows Surge when he stopped in for a brief visit with Madame X around 9:40 this morning. The good news is that if all goes well we should see some white fluff balls around Mother's Day. Keep that thought in mind folks, and stay tuned.

Our thanks to the Sheraton Hamilton for putting off needed repairs to the sign at the King Street roof edge. Having workmen up there at this critical time in the breeding process could have been very dangerous for the birds and the workers, so the job has been postponed until after the chicks fledge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version