Manitoba Peregrines > McKenzie Seeds Peregrines

McKenzie Seeds - 2020 / Wingo Starr & Hurricane

<< < (8/26) > >>

RCF:
These two have fledged!  ;D 

One was on the Annex building on the west side, the other one was on the southeast corner of the lower roof this morning.

Yesterday

The Peregrine Chick:
Foot colour is as a result of the food they are eating.  Birds in captive situations - like rehab - tend to have paler feet.  Wild birds eating wild food have bright yellow feet, it is paler when they are young, brighter as they get older.  Its why we try to make sure birds in care have quail to eat, closest thing to wild birds that we can provide them with.  Why one chick's feet are yellower than the other, maybe one is a couple of days older - or better at getting first dibs on food or I just don't know.  I can say that in a couple of months when they are hunting food on their own, chances are you won't be able to tell them apart by foot colour :)

Its a cool photo and a great catch RCF!

RCF:
Well these two were still in the box this afternoon and it looks like they have different coloured legs from each other.  :)

The Peregrine Chick:
They definitely look like girls - nice balance for the 2 Radisson boys!

And the ages would confirm that - the chicks are 41/42 days old today, typical fledging age for standard size female chicks.  Pre-Wingo female chicks were smaller and more likely to jump with their brothers. Wingo is shaking up the gene pool.

RCF:
I will hazard a guess and say these two are female.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version