Other Peregrine Projects > Australian Peregrines

NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2017 / Xavier & Diamond

<< < (2/31) > >>

burdi:
Marragaay’s hunting grounds

Published 2 January, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

Last night I was able to observe Marragaay firstly chasing Xavier around the tower and then after giving up on her parents, hunting over a paddock not far from the tower.  She then disappeared into some pines.  After about ten minutes, she flew back to the tower with her prey (unidentified at this stage, but passerine – suggestions welcome).  This was definitely her kill as the others were on the tower during this time.

Photo by Cilla KinrossThe hunting grounds
Photo by Cilla KinrossMarragaay with her prey
I also got a video of her flying to the top of the tower, with Xavier on the ledge, soon to be replaced by Diamond.  Three out of three!  This was on 31st Dec.

Marragaay, Xavier & Diamond - Video by Cilla Kinross
Until the ledge cam is fixed, (maybe it’s too old? Perhaps just needs a kick, which I might be tempted to do when I clean the box) I probably won’t be able to do more updates from that, but I’ll try and be here at the busy time at dusk as I’m really keen to see how long Marragaay stays (or is allowed to stay) now she’s clearly a competent hunter.

See more - http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/marragaays-hunting-grounds/

Source: FalconCam Project

burdi:
The landscape photo of the ancient yellow box trees in Cilla's most recent update is beautiful. :)  A few years ago the peregrines at CSU lost what might have been their favourite roost tree. I felt very sad for the peregrines when that happened, so I hope that no one will find it necessary to cut down any more of the much needed roost trees, especially those that are now the closest to the nest box.

Love the photo of Diamond giving Cilla the death stare. :)  I'm assuming that Cilla did not stare back because that could have agitated Diamond even more!

And it is always sweet to see Xavier and Diamond bonding. I find that Xavier has a rather unique way of dancing while they frolic around in their nest box - and Diamond loves it! ;D  I love it too!

burdi:
Marragaay still with us; parents courting

Published 28 December, 2017 | By Cilla Kinross

I haven’t seen Bali now, either in the box, on the tower, or in the fields and woods, since 20th December – over a week, now, so I think we can safely say that he has left the area, hopefully to pigeon-filled greener pastures.

Marragaay, however, doesn’t appear to want to leave home and is still chasing parents for food.   Here I caught her in the roost trees, which are ancient yellow box and looking rather fine at present, as they are in flower, so I’ve included a landscape shot.   Marragaay can just be seen as a dot in the centre far right of the picture.

Photo by Cilla Kinross
She then flew to the tower, but the photo is too back-lit.  However, Diamond gave me a look only a peregrine can produce meaning ‘back off’.

The death starePhoto by Cilla Kinross
And here are the loving couple renewing their bonds in the longest courtship ritual I’ve seen for some time.  My apologies for the internet radio noise in the background!  Note also that the two images are slightly out of synch, so you might think there is a threesome, but alas, not just the two.

Video of Xavier and Diamond by Cilla Kinross: dancing-courtship
Source: FalconCam Project
You will see more at the FalconCam Project!

burdi:
Bali hasn't been spotted since Cilla saw him on December 20, and I'm worried about his sudden disappearance. He seemed so comfortable around the nest area that I didn't expect him to leave for a while ... but of course I'm hoping he is well.

burdi:
Juveniles in and on top of tower

Published 23 December, 2017 | By Cilla Kinross

Sorry, I lost admin access for a bit, but I have it back.

This is the scene where Diamond has brought in a red wattlebird, but for some reason it is not eaten by Bali, who presumably is already full (too many mince pies!).  This was the last time I’ve seen the young male juvenile ie almost exactly two days ago.  Has he flown the coop?  He’s certainly not in the box at night any more, which is either empty or occupied by Diamond (adult female).

Video: Bali takes RWB
This prey species was easy to identify, being whole, but most prey brought into the box to be consumed by little ones comes minus head, wings, tail and feathers, so is quite a challenge!   I’m putting in for a small grant to get some decent video and still image enhancer, plus a research assistant to see if we can nail down some of the hundreds of prey that I have not yet been able to identify.  Or failing identification to species level, consider some way of usefully classifying each prey by size, family etc.  Ideas welcome!

Thanks to Shep who spotted some courtship interaction between Diamond and Xavier (adult male) yesterday morning.  My screen recording is pretty coarse and I missed it.   I really, really, want Milestone back!    Sorry, it’s only the ledge recording, so there are some gaps.    Having said that, I can at least make longer recordings with this system.

And thanks to Scott, who has done all this extra voluntary work to get the systems (or most of them) up and running again.    Going home for a swim, but will be back this evening.

Video: ledge circuling long
And finally, I did a round up of the usual haunts yesterday evening.  Still no sign of Bali, but I found the rest of the family in and around the tower: Marragaay looking very regal on top, occasionally whining, Diamond, snoozing, tucked into the microwave dish and Xavier in the box.

Diamond
Marragaay
Xavier
You will find four more photos by Cilla on the FalconCam Project site.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version