Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

ON / Kitchener - 2016-19

<< < (5/6) > >>

birdbrain:
Any update on this situation?  I’m wondering if any of the chicks survived?

carly:
The littlest got knocked off the porch by the bigger ones that were wingercizing like mad the day it happened.  He was under the porch first then seen on the side of the nest box laying down.  HE spent 1.5 days of 40C plus outside and then the storm came...likely he was blown off the tower or he died in the heat out there.  He was under 400 grams and food has been scarce due to the heat.  It's not like the city where there are pigeons everywhere, mom has to work hard to get food and she's looking pretty rough herself.  Sadly it's not a popular area for falcons so no other male has come along who could offer help. The others have all been going in and out onto the porch out there so there was never more than one missing.

It's just a sad situation and watching poor Mystery struggle on her own has been hard...and it's back to another heatwave that will last all week again. 

Alison:
July 9, 2018

An article on the Kitchener chicks:

Falcon family feature: where are the chicks?

The CTV peregrine falcon chicks have been growing steadily despite being cared for by a single parent. 

The first chick hatched on June 8, and all four were welcomed to the microwave tower on CTV Kitchener’s property by June 11.  That day, the male peregrine falcon, Lucifer, was injured and taken to the Hobbitstee Wildlife Refuge. He underwent surgery on June 16, and he was still recovering as of July 9.  He was scheduled for another surgery the following week to have a pin and external fixator removed. The chicks’ mother, Mystery, has been feeding them by herself since.

In recent days, however, two of the chicks have gone missing.  One falcon chick, Monarch, wandered outside of the nest and has not been seen since.  On Monday morning, a second chick exited the Falcon Cam's view and disappeared outside.  Volunteers with Fledge Watch, who are monitoring the chicks as they begin spreading their wings, found one of the missing falcons in the nest on Monday afternoon.

The chicks should begin trying to learn to fly soon, CTV has been told, with males usually trying around 36 days, and females trying around 40 days.  Flying can be difficult for them, however, because they are heavy and uncoordinated at this age.

A team of volunteers searched for the most recently missing chick Monday afternoon.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/falcon-family-feature-where-are-the-chicks-1.4005710

The last time I saw all four chicks at the nest was on July 3.  Then there were three, and on some occasions only two. Today there were three chicks at the nest.
The last update I have seen on Lucifer from Hobbitstee Wildlife Refuge was on June 21:  He is recovering well. The surgeons have given him a guarded optimistic prognosis.
They have also said that Lucifer is expected to spend several months in care:  It will take several months before he will be recovered as he needs complex surgery to fix the wing.

carly:
I should also add that they are no longer considered endangered here so they may not be allowed to interfere and will have to let nature take it's course.  Let's hope a new male comes along to help her out. 

I fear for the future of all species here as Ontario has just elected a man that is anti-animals and nature and has vowed to scrap the 'barbaric endangered species act' as he calls it.   So there won't be any help in the near future for any of our feathered friends.

carly:
Update from CPF Facebook page:

Last week on June 12th, that being Tuesday, the resident male from Kitchener named Lucifer was found grounded and picked up by the Kitchener Animal Services. He was taken to rehab and has suffered a fractured wing. The good news is that the fracture placement is perfect for pinning and he will be getting the surgery to repair the wing. That has unfortunately left Mystery, the resident female, alone with the 4 chicks for the past 5 days. The CPF has been monitoring the situation very closely and the great news is that she has been keeping up on their feeding with excellent regularity and is so far handling the whole situation like a pro. Rudy spent some time yesterday doing site observations and reports that he currently sees only her, no other male in the territory as of yet. She roosts on the top of the nest box where she can survey the territory and be near the chicks as well. Yesterday I saw 4 feedings by the female and all 4 chicks ate well. Today in between caring for our educational birds in this heat, I was able to witness on the camera 2 feedings for sure that again saw all 4 chicks get a great feeding. Another camera watcher caught another feeding just before dusk tonight. The banding is set for June 28th and we will be monitoring very closely every day to ensure that all continues to go well for the young ones. We are also hoping to get more site visit observations to see how well Mystery is doing outside of camera range. So far so good and all is well as of today. Lucifer is getting great care and will be on the mend soon and Mystery is doing an amazing job with her chicks. We will continue to keep a very close eye on this nest and post updates as we have them for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version