Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2015 / Ty & Beatrix  (Read 34487 times)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: West Winnipeg - 2015 / June
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2015, 20:28 »
From The Peregrine Chick Twitter page

West Wpg - chicks are 12 & 10 days old, old enough they don't need Mom on them all the time

https://twitter.com/mbperegrines

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2015, 12:14 »
First chick (female I think by the size of those paws!!) is ready for some alone time while second chick is not.  Beatrix was playing duvet and chick 1 crawled out and found a spot for him/herself to sprawl out in the corner in the shade but away from Mom and chick 2.  Beatrix kept checking on chick 1 but looks like chick 1 is bang on time in terms of development and can thermoregulate on his/her own now.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2015, 09:32 »
Second chick here hatched on June 1st so today may be the last day of brooding other than for cold/wet/sunny weather - they sure are growing fast!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2015, 14:13 »
Looks like Ty may have inherited the hunting gene from his father (Trey) and just like his brother Ivy.  Food has been arriving all day at almost exactly 2 hour intervals.  Chicks have been eating it all too, so it seems he's got the timing worked out perfectly ...
That a boy Ty!  (some strong genes came off that nestledge)  :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2015, 12:08 »
Beatrix has both the kids stuffed under her but she doesn't look wet - damp maybe, but not wet in the box.  Wind seems to be driving from the west or southwest as I watch them which means the box is providing max protection.  As I look I can see that there is quite a bit of dry gravel around her and the kids (whose fuzzy white butts are sticking out from under mom) and she isn't looking at all concerned.  She's been stuffing the kids and eggs (yes they are still there) pretty far under her when the weather has been colder and wetter so I don't think this is giving her much concern at all.  If the wind should swing around, I suspect she'll stuff them out of sight pretty quick.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2015, 20:05 »
Looks like Ty may have inherited the hunting gene from his father (Trey) and just like his brother Ivy.  Food has been arriving all day at almost exactly 2 hour intervals.  Chicks have been eating it all too, so it seems he's got the timing worked out perfectly ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2015, 17:38 »
Chicks have just finished a lovely big meal (for small chicks) and are now completely asleep sprawled out under Mom in the nestbox.
Beatrix and Ty are doing a great job ...

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2015, 14:47 »
Nice aerial shots dupre!!  :)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2015, 22:20 »
Some excitement in West Winnipeg at about 6 p.m. Ty and Beatrix were a bit upset.

1) Beatrix on alert, with Ty circling above
2) Beatrix in flight - notice the darker underside and missing feather on the right wing
3) & 4) Ty in flight - notice the much lighter underside
1) 2)
3) 4)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 22:52 by dupre501 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2015, 10:53 »
They did have a bit of excitement this morning though - both adults lit out after something or someone off the building (so no, not anyone on the roof).  Chicks were a bit surprised but they are in that oops rolled over phase and Beatrix was back about 90 seconds later and they were tucked back under her.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2015, 10:52 »
Still two chicks here and I believe 2 intact eggs though there is a bit of debris next to the inside wall that I thought at one point (and could be) part of an eggshell ... or the remains of breakfast even though these two seem pretty neat ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2015, 20:56 »
congratulation here.  :-*

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2015, 14:37 »
Thanks it does help.  I hope you are right dupre501.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2015, 13:17 »
Wishing them good luck. Hope the storm does not affect them overly much and the worst that happens is the adults get a little bit wet with no egg/chick problems.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2015, 13:00 »
This evening the wind is supposed to be north and have gusts of up to 70 km.  Rain is to be going sideways according to the weather people.  Does this nest have some protection against these types of winds?

Yes and no.  Nestbox is open to the north and east - that way the sun comes in in the morning but the chicks don't bake too much through the rest of the day.  So the "no" part is that the box faces north, the "yes" part is that the box is not completely open to the north, there is a wall between where the birds are brooding their chicks and the north wind - much more so than on the nestledge and even more than the Radisson nestbox in a way.

Hope that helps ...