Author Topic: Radisson - 2015 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 63926 times)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2015 / May
« Reply #380 on: May 31, 2015, 14:01 »
 ;D Smiley left for a time. Must have gone for a "bite" to eat....... ???

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #379 on: May 31, 2015, 05:17 »
There is a visitor enjoying its quiet time.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #378 on: May 31, 2015, 04:43 »
Thanks, TPC! for the last few days, I have been enjoying the Radisson cam and the visitors.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #377 on: May 30, 2015, 22:40 »
While continuing to check late last night I presumed it was Smiley who was still sitting on the edge - till about 0230 hrs. I haven’t had a chance to see much since then, but thanks for this interesting post about a visitor.

Smiley is the bird you see sitting on the box the most and he is definitely the one who parks himself on the edge overnight and early in the mornings.  I've only seen the visitor twice - once today and once when I wasn't sure if it might be Princess but I thought not.

TPC near the end you mention it would explain Smiley’s reaction, but sorry I’m not quite understanding. What was his reaction?

Smiley's reaction to the visitor was not exactly what I was expecting had it been Princess, but also not a full-on territorial defence.  And as the whole thing was over in less than a minute, hard to be sure what was happening even when you are able to review it on the recorder.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #376 on: May 30, 2015, 21:33 »
For anyone who has been watching the box for the last couple of hours ... I think we had a visitor ... bird at the north end of the box was definitely Smiley, he had a wander into the nestbox and was doing some scraping and I could see his leg band.  However, the bird that was on the south end, I'm pretty sure he (by size) had a silver band on his left leg.  I suspect it is one of ours, most projects only put coloured bands on the left leg, we have done both.  This isn't the first time a second bird has turned up at the nestbox since Princess and Smiley lost their eggs, however, I couldn't be positive (until now) that it wasn't Princess as I had to use the box-ledge cam which meant I could only see both birds from a great distance (in relative terms) and couldn't gauge size accurately enough to be sure.  It would explain Smiley's reaction - couldn't be sure at the time as it was a very quick visit, but it makes sense now ...

While continuing to check late last night I presumed it was Smiley who was still sitting on the edge - till about 0230 hrs. I haven’t had a chance to see much since then, but thanks for this interesting post about a visitor.

TPC near the end you mention it would explain Smiley’s reaction, but sorry I’m not quite understanding. What was his reaction?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #375 on: May 30, 2015, 17:26 »
Had a look through the recording and beside our little visitor, both Princess and Smiley have been in the nestbox ... doing a little head bowing and e-chupping to each other at the site of Smiley's spring nestscrape. 

This isn't unusual after the chicks have left the nestbox so it likely isn't re-nesting behaviour.

I'll see if I can't download some video for folks who need a Smiley and/or Princess fix  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #374 on: May 30, 2015, 17:11 »
For anyone who has been watching the box for the last couple of hours ... I think we had a visitor ... bird at the north end of the box was definitely Smiley, he had a wander into the nestbox and was doing some scraping and I could see his leg band.  However, the bird that was on the south end, I'm pretty sure he (by size) had a silver band on his left leg.  I suspect it is one of ours, most projects only put coloured bands on the left leg, we have done both.  This isn't the first time a second bird has turned up at the nestbox since Princess and Smiley lost their eggs, however, I couldn't be positive (until now) that it wasn't Princess as I had to use the box-ledge cam which meant I could only see both birds from a great distance (in relative terms) and couldn't gauge size accurately enough to be sure.  It would explain Smiley's reaction - couldn't be sure at the time as it was a very quick visit, but it makes sense now ...

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #373 on: May 30, 2015, 16:53 »

TPC - Thanks for zooming in on the nest box! (Lots of extra eye strain trying to see the birds from a distance.) I was just thinking about how you used to change views on the nest box in previous years - for instance - sometimes we would see the length of the ledge alongside the box, and sometimes a close-up view looking towards the right side of the box, but still being able to see the entire length of the box.

(By the way I’ve been reminiscing about our McDermot in 2012.) ;D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #372 on: May 30, 2015, 12:16 »
Looks like Princess.

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #371 on: May 30, 2015, 12:05 »
12:05 PM and somebirdie sitting on the edge of the nest box.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #370 on: May 30, 2015, 10:00 »
Thanks, RCF! I am now able to connect. PHEW! I was worried. Your new photo motivated me.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #369 on: May 30, 2015, 09:57 »
No, it came right up for me and there is a birdie perched on the box edge right now.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #368 on: May 30, 2015, 09:09 »
I have been unable to connect to the cam. Anyone else having the same problem?

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #367 on: May 29, 2015, 21:56 »
Has anyone else been watching the cam?

I’ve been checking here since the cam was switched to the nest box on May 17 (during the downpour), but the only bird I’ve seen (to the best of my knowledge) has been Smiley; however, today there’s been a change.

Princess made a surprise appearance (though brief), and Smiley has been sitting on the edge practically all day! He may have been fixing up the scrape during his ventures inside the box - but I couldn't see what was going on in there. (I'm curious to know where Princess spent most of her day.)

All in all, today actually reminds me of what Smiley was doing earlier this season - before Princess laid the first egg on the ledge ...

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #366 on: May 29, 2015, 20:30 »
Few more photos have been added to the Radisson Gallery

As always Dennis, you’re photos are beautiful.
Thank you.