Author Topic: Radisson - 2014 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 81043 times)

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: Radisson - 2014 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #711 on: July 23, 2014, 20:18 »
bccs and I were downtown late this afternoon and saw Smiley on a "flyabout" at around 5:45. He landed on the top of the Artis triangle facing southwest, preened for a short while, and took off when we weren't looking. Unfortunately, there was no sign of Princess or either chick.  :(

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #710 on: July 23, 2014, 19:07 »
We know the adult birds fight for territory before nesting.
With 10 chicks all within 5-10 miles of each other,
do the chicks or the adults get into fights now that the chicks have left the nest?

Great question birdnut!!  I'm interested to know the answer.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #709 on: July 23, 2014, 15:19 »
We know the adult birds fight for territory before nesting.
With 10 chicks all within 5-10 miles of each other,
do the chicks or the adults get into fights now that the chicks have left the nest?

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #708 on: July 23, 2014, 14:50 »
Yes, 2012 chicks was the first year that I started watching. They gave me very much joy to watch. I do hope that someone does see something in the skies .

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #707 on: July 23, 2014, 14:17 »
so, sad that , they were not home bodies, like the year of McDerremt .

It sure was nice watching the 2012 youngsters close-up on the ledge! McDermot would lounge for hours! Now, though - I still hope to hear our 2014 girls have safely found each other. :(

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #706 on: July 23, 2014, 13:26 »
Be prepared folks, have checked the record and except for some visits (most with food) the only visitor at the nestbox or ledge has been Smiley.  So be prepared that the CBC Manitoba Falcon Cam will be going off-line soon.  The rule is, when the chicks stop visiting the site, the cam goes off for the year.

Will post a notice if I get advance warning!

:( :'(

I think it went off this morning, as all I have seen today is a black "screen".  :'( It has been particularly difficult because we haven't had the Brandon cam this year. It just happened so suddenly. Having said that, the nestbox is a sty and I don't blame the chicks for not going back to it.  :-X

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #705 on: July 23, 2014, 12:50 »
Ditto Bally! :'(

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #704 on: July 23, 2014, 12:33 »
 :( :(  Sure was nice those years they used to come back every evening and hang out together! They even did that on the East Ledge.  8) - I wish we knew at least where they are, and if they're ok!!  :-\

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #703 on: July 23, 2014, 12:20 »
Be prepared folks, have checked the record and except for some visits (most with food) the only visitor at the nestbox or ledge has been Smiley.  So be prepared that the CBC Manitoba Falcon Cam will be going off-line soon.  The rule is, when the chicks stop visiting the site, the cam goes off for the year.

:( :'(

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #702 on: July 23, 2014, 11:03 »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #701 on: July 23, 2014, 11:01 »
Was at Boston Pizza @ City Place and on way home I am pretty sure I saw 2 falcons flying around rooftop of Delta Hotel. For the last 2 or 3 years the fledges have hung around there. If you are downtown check out this area. It was 8pm when I spotted them.

Thanks Linder!  The sky cam can just reach that far so long as the chicks are sitting in obvious locations - and peregrines so like to be cooperative!  ::)

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #700 on: July 23, 2014, 08:15 »
Was at Boston Pizza @ City Place and on way home I am pretty sure I saw 2 falcons flying around rooftop of Delta Hotel. For the last 2 or 3 years the fledges have hung around there. If you are downtown check out this area. It was 8pm when I spotted them.
Thanks for the tip, Linder!

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #699 on: July 23, 2014, 07:01 »
Wow!  Time Flies.  :o  lol!  They sure didn't hang around once they could go.  ::)  Makes summer seem all that much more shorter.  :'(

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #698 on: July 22, 2014, 20:56 »

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #697 on: July 21, 2014, 18:27 »
We may see Chapelle & Vimy after they become more confident of their flying skills and start to explore more on their own - no unusual for them to reappear after a month or two at the Radisson for a day, or a week and then they are gone.

As much as we would like to see them again, learning to fly safely without crashing into things is really what we want!  ;)

It sounds as if it is worthwhile to go downtown to see if we can catch Chapelle or Vimy flying to ensure they are ok, and continue doing so as they get a bit older. I am not ready to give up on them yet!