Author Topic: Radisson - 2013 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 133162 times)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2013 / April
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2013, 18:19 »
While downtown last night, my husband phoned me around 7:00 P.M.. He saw a large (female?) falcon sitting on the ledge of the East nest. As well, he spotted a falcon flying over Portage with a food delivery. He said it appeared smaller than the one on the East ledge.  :)
It's ok to hang around on the East Nest....but hopefully they remember to 'Nest on the WEST' !!  ;D

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2013, 16:07 »
 :( :( So sad for this Coopers Hawk. I thought they nested in trees. Not where this happened. I wish windows could be covered in a coating that birds would stop thinking they could fly straight through. We have a large picture window and in our DR, another window. Many sparrows have tried to fly through and either died or have been stunned. This year, with vertical blinds, we hope to prevent this from happening. Still hoping that Princess will come home.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2013, 15:03 »
Have to make a run downtown tomorrow, had a report of a dead raptor on a roof but from the description it doesn't sound like a peregrine and at the time, I believe we were in the middle of a pretty good head count - HSC was reporting in, I later watched Ivy trying to coax a lady into the box and the West Winnipeg birds are safely out of the downtown for the season.  But I have to check it out just in case ... plus, you never know who/what could be migrating through town ...

Thank you to the two spotters who reported the collision with the window on their office building.  Will let everyone know what I find tomorrow.

Any word about the raptor? Hoping for good news. What are the chances the WW Winnipeg falcons will reclaim their old site?  ::) ::)

Just got back and after checking in all sorts of obscure places, found the bird and it is NOT a peregrine - it looks to be a Cooper's Hawk - and yes, it died on impact with the building.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2013, 14:35 »
Have to make a run downtown tomorrow, had a report of a dead raptor on a roof but from the description it doesn't sound like a peregrine and at the time, I believe we were in the middle of a pretty good head count - HSC was reporting in, I later watched Ivy trying to coax a lady into the box and the West Winnipeg birds are safely out of the downtown for the season.  But I have to check it out just in case ... plus, you never know who/what could be migrating through town ...

Thank you to the two spotters who reported the collision with the window on their office building.  Will let everyone know what I find tomorrow.

Any word about the raptor? Hoping for good news. What are the chances the WW Winnipeg falcons will reclaim their old site?  ::) ::)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2013, 14:20 »
Anybody know anything about the falcon-looking kite-like thing that has been "flying" at the Hydro building? I'm guessing it is something that Hydro is using to dissuade the geese from nesting on the lower roof area. I just about had a fit when I saw the what looked to be a giant falcon flying reflected in the windows. It looked like a monster falcon! When I got closer I saw it was tethered by a wire and so couldn't be a live bird. But for a minute there...  ;D 

Offline Baffled

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2013, 09:49 »
While downtown last night, my husband phoned me around 7:00 P.M.. He saw a large (female?) falcon sitting on the ledge of the East nest. As well, he spotted a falcon flying over Portage with a food delivery. He said it appeared smaller than the one on the East ledge.  :)

Great report! That certainly sounds like Ivy's busy courting at the Radisson!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2013, 08:45 »
While downtown last night, my husband phoned me around 7:00 P.M.. He saw a large (female?) falcon sitting on the ledge of the East nest. As well, he spotted a falcon flying over Portage with a food delivery. He said it appeared smaller than the one on the East ledge.  :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:47 by gemcitygemini »

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2013, 19:23 »
Have to make a run downtown tomorrow, had a report of a dead raptor on a roof but from the description it doesn't sound like a peregrine and at the time, I believe we were in the middle of a pretty good head count - HSC was reporting in, I later watched Ivy trying to coax a lady into the box and the West Winnipeg birds are safely out of the downtown for the season.  But I have to check it out just in case ... plus, you never know who/what could be migrating through town ...

Thank you to the two spotters who reported the collision with the window on their office building.  Will let everyone know what I find tomorrow.]

hope all is well, again I've done this wrong - oy!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 19:39 by bccs »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2013, 18:47 »

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2013, 17:47 »
I can't imagine that!  Ivy has the best real estate and the prime territory in the land...maybe Joli got a text from Princess, letting her know that she's on her way ;)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2013, 16:46 »
Oh No!.... I hope Ivy doesn't end up with no mate this year!  :(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2013, 15:17 »
Ivy has been hopping in and out of the nestbox for the last 20 minutes like a crazed bird ... looks like he's trying to get his lady friend to join him.  Saw him this morning first thing in the box and nothing since and haven't seen a female in/at the box for a few days so he may be getting frustrated that his "come-hither" glances haven't been working so far.  The reticient of the female to join him in the box would make me think/suspect that its Joli still rather than Princess who is an old hand at nesting ... but we will have to see ...

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2013, 14:21 »
A bird on the east ledge at 2:00 today. It was facing in toward the wall, but from the bit of the very white breast and the size of the bird my money is on a boy.

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2013, 12:22 »
If only the weather would cooperate with the falcons! Although, if they came up too early, they might not find enough birds to eat as they must also be returning more slowly.
The geese that have returned to my little lake in Southdale seem to be wandering around puzzled by the ice and lack of water! I hope they don't lay their eggs in the snow...
Here's hoping another day will bring back another birdie, fingers crossed.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2013, 00:20 »
Haven't seen any females at the nestbox - Joli or Princess or whomever - over the last couple of days, just the male who I assume is Ivy still but he hasn't stayed around long enough to show me his bands ...